700x28 tire recommendations?

Old May 18th 05, 01:06 AM
Gooserider

Default 700x28 tire recommendations?

I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to tires.
I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know I
want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good,
but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
appreciated....

Mike

Old May 18th 05, 02:47 AM
bfd

"Gooserider" wrote in message
. ..
I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to
tires.
I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know I
want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good,
but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
appreciated....

Avocet Duro are a true 700x28:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/622.html#28

http://www.gtgtandems.com/parts/700r.html

Old May 18th 05, 03:41 AM
Mathias Koerber

bfd said the following on 18/5/2005 9:47:
"Gooserider" wrote in message
. ..

I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to
tires.
I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know I
want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good,
but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
appreciated....

I believe the Conti Ultra Gatorskins (which I use in 700x25, they are
very good) are also available in 700x28...
Old May 18th 05, 04:09 AM
Rich Clark

"Gooserider" wrote in message
. ..
I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to
tires.
I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know I
want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good,
but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
appreciated....

I have never had cause to regret using Continental Top Touring 2000 tires on
my commuters. For me, resistance to flats is the most important
characteristic of a commuting tire, and I have well over 10,000 consecutive
flat-free miles on TT2K's.

(They're not bad for touring, either.)

RichC

Old May 18th 05, 04:30 AM
Matt O'Toole

Mathias Koerber wrote:

bfd said the following on 18/5/2005 9:47:
"Gooserider" wrote in message
. ..

I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down
to tires.
I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I
know I want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and
still mount fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell
Roly-Poly looks good, but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple
of others. Your input is appreciated....

I believe the Conti Ultra Gatorskins (which I use in 700x25, they are
very good) are also available in 700x28...

While shopping for other tires I noticed Performance had the Conti Ultra 2000 in
28mm on sale for under $20. There were similar prices at Nashbar. At that
price I'd be willing to overlook their shortcomings, especially compared to
tires costing twice as much.

Let us know how you like the Gunnar Sport. It looks like a great all around
bike for most people.

Matt O.

Old May 18th 05, 08:09 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 17 May 2005 23:09:45 -0400, ,
"Rich Clark" wrote of Continental:

For me, resistance to flats is the most important
characteristic of a commuting tire, and I have well over 10,000 consecutive
flat-free miles on TT2K's.

How many pairs?
--
zk
Old May 18th 05, 08:40 AM
Jeremy Collins

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:06:17 +0100, Gooserider
wrote:

I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to
tires.
I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know
want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks
good,
but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
appreciated....

My Michelin Transworld City tyres have been great - 1500 miles so far
without a puncture and very little sign of wear. The 700x28s can be
had for around £10 ($18) here in the UK.

--
jc
Old May 18th 05, 04:30 PM
rdclark

Zoot Katz wrote:
Tue, 17 May 2005 23:09:45 -0400,

,
"Rich Clark" wrote of Continental:

For me, resistance to flats is the most important
characteristic of a commuting tire, and I have well over 10,000

consecutive
flat-free miles on TT2K's.

How many pairs?

I wear tires out at about a 2:1 ratio, rear:front, so when the rear is
worn out I move the front to the rear and install a new front.

I've used a grand total of four tires in this sequence. The current
rear was the second front tire, and the current front is almost new. In
terms of miles per dollar, as well as reliability, I consider these
tires a bargain.

I should note that the "consecutive" miles are on the TT2k's, so maybe
I shouldn't have said "consecutive." There were intervening miles when
I experimented with a lighter tire - Panaracer Pasela Tourguard (the
folding ones with a kevlar belt and kevlar bead) - but they were too
susceptible to pinch-flats and punctures. For a while I rode with a
TT2K on the back and a Pasela on the front, but when the Pasela wore
out (which it did damn fast) I abandoned them.

But the 10k+ miles on this bike with the Conti's have been flat-free.
And that's on the pothole-infested, glass-covered, never-cleaned
streets of Philadelphia.

Before the Conti's I used Avocet Cross-K's for a while. They were also
very durable and tough, but also unpleasant to ride and with a tendency
to become squared-off with wear.

I use 700x32c. A buddy who uses the same tire in 700x28c has been
equally happy, though not for as long.

RichC

Old May 20th 05, 01:47 AM
Chalo

Gooserider wrote:

I know I want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can
run and still mount fenders. Anybody have any suggestions?
The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good, but so do the Panaracer
Pasela and a couple of others.

The Panaracer Pasela may not be the best tire in its category, but it's
an unusually nice tire for the price. If you want a true 28mm Pasela,
you'll need to buy the 700x32 version.

Chalo Colina