Friend tries to hone his marketing skills

Old November 5th 09, 01:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default Friend tries to hone his marketing skills

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
I agree with everything you say. I can still have a slight recumbent
butt issue on my Tour Easy even though I have my seat back set to the
maximum. The main problem I have always had with the Tour Easy is that
I don't think the bottom bracket needs to be as low as it is. A
somewhat higher BB would greatly improve the recumbent butt issue as
you could lay the seat back more.[...]
Wonder of wonders, Fred Markham apparently agrees [1] with you.

[1] http://www.easyracers.com/07-javelin.htm.

Easy Racers never gets the height of the crank in relation to the seat
quite right. Most of their recumbents have set the crank way too low, but
the Javelin sets it too high. It reminds me most of my RANS V-2.
Admittedly, if you do not get foot numbness from too high a crank I
suppose such bikes are OK, but even so, they do NOT maximize power to the
pedal nor control either. For that to happen, you need a crank somewhat
below the seat, probably about 4 to 6 inches.

I like the crank about 8 to 10 inches above the seat.

I have read that 15 to 25% of all cyclists will have foot numbness problems
with a high crank.

A good example of the kind of recumbent I am thinking of is the new
Bacchetta LWB. I think they have got it about right, give or take a few
inches.

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/recumb...s/bellaatt.htm

You could forgive people for mistaking the Bella ATT for a RANS Status.

The Bella ATT has a higher crank than the RANS Stratus. I think it could be
slightly higher to good effect.

By the way, if I were getting a recumbent for the first time, I would get
the above Bacchetta. I have over a dozen different recumbents cluttering
up the house that I have collected over the past 30 years. Yes, that is
how long and how many bikes it took me to figure it out!

Too bad the RANS Tailwind [1] is out of production due to large wheel
prejudice.

[1] And RANS Rocket.

The RANS Tailwind was always underrated and the RANS Rocket was always
overrated.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 5th 09, 10:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
stratrider

Edward Dolan wrote:

A good example of the kind of recumbent I am thinking of is the new
Bacchetta LWB. I think they have got it about right, give or take a few
inches.

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/recumb...s/bellaatt.htm

By the way, if I were getting a recumbent for the first time, I would get
the above Bacchetta. I have over a dozen different recumbents cluttering up
the house that I have collected over the past 30 years. Yes, that is how
long and how many bikes it took me to figure it out!

Ed, this bike looks like a winner all around! It's not cheap @ 2k but
I like the components and I agree, I think the BB height is probably a
perfect compromise between comfort and performance. The bike is, in
my opinion a bit heavy at 33 lbs but for most of us non racers in the
real world, this is a do-it-all bike. For the price, I think you are
getting a solid, well thought out bike!

Jim

Old November 5th 09, 10:58 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
stratrider

On Nov 4, 6:21*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
[...]

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.- Hide quoted text -

Hello Tom. What is the wheelbase measurement of the Rocket? The
Vision R40 (circa 1998) had a 39" wheel base set up as a SWB bike.
That was twitchy as hell in my opinion. I have this notion that the
Rocket was at 41 or 42.

Jim
Old November 7th 09, 12:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

stratrider aka Jim Reilly wrote:
On Nov 4, 6:21 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
[...]

About 42 inches for the newer Rockets, and about 40½ for the older
models. The handling of the Rocket is much better than the 1998 Vision
regarding directional stability.