I ride an unholy bike!

Old November 5th 09, 02:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Wallenfang

Default I ride an unholy bike!

On Nov 2, 10:38*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
On Nov 2, 8:04*pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:

On Nov 2, 7:54*am, ComandanteBanana wrote:

And I ride an unholy bike!

Come to think of it, I've never had any of my bikes blessed.

No, what I mean is that the Christian drivers consider bikes lowly and
unholy.

But we know Jesus would have ridden one if he existed.

On Episcopal Church, at least, on Manhattan's upper west side, has an
annual blessing of the bicycles:

"Tenth Annual Blessing of the Bicycles

Saturday, April 26, 10 a.m.

Hundreds of bicyclists garbed in brightly colored cycling attire are
expected to gather with their bikes inside the Cathedral for the Tenth
Annual Blessing of the Bicycles at 10 AM on Saturday, April 26.

Children are most welcome. Free admission.

The Reverend Canon Thomas Miller, Canon for Liturgy & the Arts will
officiate. He will offer a blessing to kick off a safe cycling season
and sprinkle holy water on the bicycles. A bag piper will play as a
riderless bicycle is brought forward during a moment of silence in
remembrance of those who died in cycling accidents within the past
year. "

Maybe they're figuring that's what Jesus would have done. Presumably,
most of the bike riders presenting themselves are not atheists.

Old November 5th 09, 03:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

wrote:
[...]

end of earlier posts
And, here in Portland, too.
http://photos.oregonlive.com/oregoni..._shrine_2.html
Kerry

Old November 5th 09, 10:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
KingOfTheApes

wrote:

[...]

Not all the Christians care, very few do.

How many bikes at church?
Old November 6th 09, 01:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

On Nov 5, 4:12*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:

How many bikes at church?

More to the point, how many not at church?

From an informal survey done last Sunday, I can safely state that
there are precisely zero(0 (no roman numeral)) visible, human,
crabon-based non-Christian bicyclists. Science clearly tells me
that this should be extrapolable to all situations everywhere (QED
FFS, YMMV, DILLIGAF, NTTAWWT), ergo (id est) not one solitary
non-Christian cyclist on Rth.

Your move, Francis.
Old November 6th 09, 03:30 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Wallenfang

On Nov 5, 3:12*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:

Not all the Christians care, very few do.

How many bikes at church?- Hide quoted text -
-

Blessing bicycles - a Catholic view

Question: Can Anything Be Blessed?

This weekend for the first time a downtown Minneapolis church held a
blessing of the bicycles. There's been blessings of animals in the
past. Are there rules for blessings? Can anything be blessed?

"You can bless just about anything," said Johan van Parys, director of
liturgy at the Basilica of St. Mary, the church which blessed the
bicycles.

"All modes of transportation can be blessed," said van Parys. "I'm
originally from Belgium, blessing of bicycles is not unusual at all."

According to van Parys, the English phrase "to bless" comes from a
Latin word "benedicere." It translates to mean "to speak well."

"When we bless something or someone we give God thanks for that person
or that object or that place," said van Parys. "At the same time we
ask God to protect this place, this person."

In some cultures, it's almost mandatory that you bless objects, like
new office buildings. This year Jews around the world took part in
Birchas Hachamah, the blessing of the sun.

But more and more American churches of all denominations are doing
things like blessing pets and bicycles.

"I wonder if blessing bicycles or a park bench somehow devalues the
idea of blessing," asked WCCO reporter Jason DeRusha.

"I don't think so, on the contrary, I think it gives the concept of
blessing a broader meaning and it brings it in contact with people's
everyday lives," said van Parys. "Blessing brings the church, outside
the church."

The Catholic Church has a 900-page Book of Blessings, prepared by the
International Commission on English in the Liturgy, a joint commission
of Catholic Bishops' Conferences.

"Catholics are really blessers, if you wish. We have a culture of
blessing," said van Parys.

And while just about everything and everyone can be blessed, there are
limits, according to van Parys, that go back to that definition of a
blessing: to speak well.

"If speaking well would not hold, like with a tool of torture, it
would be impossible to bless that item," he said.

Many people confuse a blessing with making an object sacred, but van
Parys explained that only holds true with objects that have a higher
purpose. For example, a new lecturn in a church could be blessed and
become sacred. The same is true with a statue of a Saint.

But, "a bench always remains a bench. And a bicycle always remains a
bicycle, it never becomes a bicycle sacred," he said.

Old November 6th 09, 10:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
His Majesty Comandante Banana King Of The Apes I

On Nov 5, 7:42*pm, Norman wrote:
On Nov 5, 4:12*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:

How many bikes at church?

More to the point, how many not at church?

From an informal survey done last Sunday, I can safely state that
there are precisely zero(0 (no roman numeral)) visible, human,
crabon-based non-Christian bicyclists. *Science clearly tells me
that this should be extrapolable to all situations everywhere (QED
FFS, YMMV, DILLIGAF, NTTAWWT), ergo (id est) not one solitary
non-Christian cyclist on Rth.

Your move, Francis.

Everybody says they are Christians if you ask them. They try to blend
in with the sheep.

Casual upper classes bike riders have little to do with commuters and
other survivors of the jungle. Most Christians won't even worry about
Climate Change... because the Lord is coming soon.
Old November 6th 09, 10:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 5, 9:30*pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:

But, "a bench always remains a bench. And a bicycle always remains a
bicycle, it never becomes a bicycle sacred," he said.

The only ones blessed are those blessed with money, so they can drive
their SUVs oblivious to the jungle.

Old November 6th 09, 04:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Opus[_2_]

On Nov 6, 9:14 am, His Majesty Comandante Banana King Of The Apes I
wrote:
snip
Everybody says they are Christians if you ask them. They try to blend
in with the sheep.

Casual upper classes bike riders have little to do with commuters and
other survivors of the jungle. Most Christians won't even worry about
Climate Change... because the Lord is coming soon.

I have been a Pagan for more than 20 years, thankyewverramuch. I
stopped associating with Christians when my local church started
making noises about having to use everything up by the year 2000 or
God would be ****ed because we still had stuff left over when he came
to wreck the place for renovations. I joined a group that said the
Earth was a sacred object in and of itself, and should be treated
accordingly.
Old November 6th 09, 07:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Nov 5, 6:30 pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
[...]

I don't know, but I regularly pass by a big church near my favorite
coffee shop. There's a sign at the street that says, "Sanctuary",
with an arrow pointing up the driveway. Go up the driveway to see
what sanctuary looks like, though, and you are greeted with another
sign that says, "No Bicycle Riding" :-(
Old November 6th 09, 07:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 6, 10:44*am, Opus wrote:
On Nov 6, 9:14 am, His Majesty Comandante Banana King Of The Apes I

wrote:
snip
Everybody says they are Christians if you ask them. They try to blend
in with the sheep.

Casual upper classes bike riders have little to do with commuters and
other survivors of the jungle. Most Christians won't even worry about
Climate Change... because the Lord is coming soon.

I have been a Pagan for more than 20 years, thankyewverramuch. I
stopped associating with Christians when my local church started
making noises about having to use everything up by the year 2000 or
God would be ****ed because we still had stuff left over when he came
to wreck the place for renovations. I joined a group that said the
Earth was a sacred object in and of itself, and should be treated
accordingly.

Well, welcome to the jungle, not with a hungry lion, but with magic
and cooperation. Merlin the Magician is with us and many other lovers
of freedom, bicycles and the moon.

What's the name of that group you joined?