Cold weather, sore throat

Old November 10th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Cold weather, sore throat

On 11/10/2018 3:21 AM, wrote:
On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 4:22:22 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Define cold weather.

In my youth, this was not a problem at all. Then after reaching my 50s I
had this problem only near freezing or below. Now it seems to be a risk
for temperatures below 45 Fahrenheit = 7 Celsius.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 11th 18, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 14:51:47 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

Maybe you should take up smoking.
http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com...d-cycling.html
-- Jay Beattie.

The effectiveness of reducing sore throats depends on what you're
smoking:
https://medium.com/estrohaze/cannabis-and-cycling-a-collaboration-of-highs-699753651c68
https://archive.attn.com/stories/5120/biking-after-smoking-marijuana
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/cannabis-belong-bike-racing/
Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=cycling+and+smoking+weed

Perhaps pipe smoking while cycling would be better:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cycling+and+pipe+smoking&tbm=isch

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 11th 18, 10:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 2:57:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 4:32:46 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/10/2018 3:21 AM, wrote:
On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 4:22:22 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Define cold weather.

In my youth, this was not a problem at all. Then after reaching my 50s I
had this problem only near freezing or below. Now it seems to be a risk
for temperatures below 45 Fahrenheit = 7 Celsius.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That is not extreme cold. But it is general knowledge that your mucous membranes (google translate) are your first line of defence. Inhaling cold dry air is not good for your mucous membranes and makes you sensitive for viruses. Age doesn't help either.Just take it easy and avoid breathing heavily through your mouth when it is cold.

Hence the reason I wear the mask I linked to above. It's EXTREMELY effective in quite cold conditions. It's really like breathing in pre-warmed air.

Cheers
Old November 11th 18, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

I gave thought to the mucous membranes many years ago, when I was still
commuting by bike, and so I tried breathing through my nose instead of
my mouth. Unfortunately, at the speed I wanted to ride, I found it
impossible to breath through my nose. I even made a few attempts at
inhaling through my nose and exhaling through my mouth, but that didn't
work for me either.

Perhaps I'll try a face mask.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 11th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 11:07:12 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped

I gave thought to the mucous membranes many years ago, when I was still
commuting by bike, and so I tried breathing through my nose instead of
my mouth. Unfortunately, at the speed I wanted to ride, I found it
impossible to breath through my nose. I even made a few attempts at
inhaling through my nose and exhaling through my mouth, but that didn't
work for me either.

Perhaps I'll try a face mask.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That mask that I showed you above should work wonders for you. It really lets you breathe what is essentially pre-warmed air. Even a thick paper like mask should work for you in the temperatures you're talking about. I like the mask I linked to because it has a double strap which makes securing it and adjusting it a lot easier than a single strap does.

Cheers
Old November 11th 18, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:07:10 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Perhaps I'll try a face mask.

Maybe a mask that also charges your smartphone?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2113539/AIRE-mask-uses-lung-power-charge-mobile-phone.html

Old November 12th 18, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 10:04:56 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Maybe a mask that also charges your smartphone?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2113539/AIRE-mask-uses-lung-power-charge-mobile-phone.html

That reminds me of the Samantha stories by "Josiah Allen's wife".
(Marietta Holley). In one book, Josiah builds a house for his
daughter, and announces that he's had the brilliant idea of hooking up
the water pump to the treadle of the sewing machine. Samantha's
"Well, I broke *that* up!" is pretty much my reaction to the
lung-powered charger.

If you make an armchair pedal turner that charges a charger, that
might be a good idea.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old November 12th 18, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

Maybe a mask that also charges your smartphone?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2113539/AIRE-mask-uses-lung-power-charge-mobile-phone.html

That reminds me of the Samantha stories by "Josiah Allen's wife".
(Marietta Holley). In one book, Josiah builds a house for his
daughter, and announces that he's had the brilliant idea of hooking up
the water pump to the treadle of the sewing machine. Samantha's
"Well, I broke *that* up!" is pretty much my reaction to the
lung-powered charger.

That idea was not restricted to fiction, before widespread
electrification household water power was an option for those lucky
enough to have running water:

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2013...er-motors.html

This idea was successful enough that power-only water networks were
established in few places, to running motors without wasting large
amounts of potable water:

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2016...orks.html#more

If you make an armchair pedal turner that charges a charger, that
might be a good idea.

ahh cold weather at last! greggery peccary General 1 October 30th 06 03:30 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 07:33 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 07:33 PM
cold weather Q? ~R General 24 October 24th 05 11:43 PM
cold weather? How cold is it? Max General 14 December 12th 04 08:50 PM