First lock-in ride

Old April 1st 20, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default First lock-in ride

Yesterday was the my first bike ride for nearly 4 weeks so for my
permitted form of exercise I decided to go and look at my local town
centre. It's about 3 miles each way using the shortest route but as it
was the first pleasant day for about 4 months I decided to meander and
added about 4 miles.

The roads were wonderfully quiet. Not only in the sense of not much
traffic but in the noise sense too; there's so much ambience to be heard
when growling engines have gone quiet. The air was clean too. I felt
safe to use roads I haven't used for about 20 years.

On about three occasions I encountered a car containing a couple of
youths that were obviously doing a non-essential journey. It was curious
how people were driving sensibly and within the speed limits. I
guess people want to hunker down and not get noticed. On one occasion a
pedestrian was standing by the edge of the road waiting to cross and I
couldn't move 2m away because a car was overtaking. Though I don't think
either of us sneezed.

The high street is pedestrianised with no cycling signs and I took the
opportunity to ride along it (*), easily keeping more than 2m spacing.
It was a bit like it must have been before Sunday shopping ruined the
country.

Over the next few weeks I hope to explore the local nooks and crannies
further. It would be nice to think that when people have discovered that
the lack of traffic makes local places more pleasant and accessable, the
habit will continue when the restrictions come down.

(*) I guess Nugent now has to wipe spittle off his screen but the
signs here don't have any legal backing.

Old April 1st 20, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

TMS320 wrote:

... The roads were wonderfully quiet. Not only in the sense of not much
traffic but in the noise sense too; there's so much ambience to be heard
when growling engines have gone quiet. The air was clean too. I felt
safe to use roads I haven't used for about 20 years.

Sounds great - getting out into the fresh air to cycle on roads that
are quiet, and clean, and safe. Many roads have been 'tamed' out there
right now, even those previously most favoured by buses and lorries.

... Over the next few weeks I hope to explore the local nooks and crannies
further. It would be nice to think that when people have discovered that
the lack of traffic makes local places more pleasant and accessable, the
habit will continue when the restrictions come down.

I've only highlighted two parts of your post but it was a good read
from start to finish.

Best Lock value landotter General 7 March 17th 06 08:14 PM
D-lock v. Chain Lock Alistair Gunn UK 3 June 26th 05 09:50 PM
FS Master Lock Street Cuff 9-Link Bike Lock [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 21st 05 08:06 AM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen John Thompson Techniques 2 October 10th 04 02:15 PM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen Matt O'Toole Techniques 30 October 10th 04 02:10 PM