Bike Shops vs Shops w/Bikes

Old November 7th 06, 10:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Default Bike Shops vs Shops w/Bikes

In recent trippings around in the process of looking for various odds
and ends to maintain and build up my bikes, I've found the demarcation
line that differentiates between a "bike shop" and a "shop with bikes".
Actually it's really easy to differentiate between the two because it
comes right down to two things.

Bike knowledge is essential for a bike shop. If a layman walks into a
bike shop and is depending on that shop's knowledge in getting them
what they need, they are boned if the shop's employees don't know what
they should. On the other hand, if an experienced cyclist walks into a
shop and asks for a particular bike part, the employee should either
know what it is, or be able to find out in an instant from reference
material or a colleague.

Service is also essential and it is directly related to the points of
contention for knowledge. If the aforementioned layman needs advice,
it should be based in good knowledge and good service in that realm
begins with knowledge. Good service to the layman also requires NOT
selling them something the shop is trying to get rid of just because it
needs to go. As far as the experienced cyclist's aforementioned
situation goes, good service means knowing whether or not the item is
in stock, checking to see if it is something that can be ordered,
offering to order the item, or sending them to a shop that may have the
item. Attempting to blow smoke up an experienced cyclist's shorts is
not good service.

That all said and done, there are two shops in OC that I will never set
foot in again and one that will get more of my business. Shop "a"
tried to blow smoke up my shorts and tell me he had to see the previous
part to know what he needed to order, which was BS. He lacked
knowledge about that particular item and didn't want to admit it. Shop
"b" had some slacker college wannabe who offered nothing more than a
"no" when I asked if they had what I was looking for. I was obviously
interrupting his conversation with another of his type in a rather
cavernous and shiny bike shop that was devoid of any other customers.
Shop "c" gets an "A". The employee knew exactly what I was talking
about, grabbed the Quality catalog, looked up the part, quoted me a
price and offered to order it for me. The best part? My kiddo was
with me and witnessed the whole spectacle, recognizing what was
inherently wrong with shops "a" and "b" and what was right with shop
"c" before word one after all of the shop visits.

I'll refrain from naming names at this point in time because I'm going
to compile my own list of bike shops vs shops with bikes in SoCal.

JD

Old November 8th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
freightgod

JD preached to the choir:

Nothing important...

as usual....

Amen and thanks to our lord and savior, JD!!

Old November 8th 06, 08:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
cc

freightgod wrote:
JD preached to the choir:

Nothing important...

as usual....

Amen and thanks to our lord and savior, JD!!

his ego deflates if he doesn't
stroke it constantly.
Old November 8th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ed Pirrero

cc wrote:
freightgod wrote:
JD preached to the choir:

Nothing important...

as usual....

Amen and thanks to our lord and savior, JD!!

his ego deflates if he doesn't
stroke it constantly.

Maybe he likes having two post-humping bitches that he can pimp-slap
any time he posts to a.m-b.?

Seek help.

E.P.

Old November 8th 06, 11:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
cc

Ed Pirrero wrote:
cc wrote:
freightgod wrote:
JD preached to the choir:

Nothing important...

as usual....

Amen and thanks to our lord and savior, JD!!

his ego deflates if he doesn't
stroke it constantly.

Maybe he likes having two post-humping bitches that he can pimp-slap
any time he posts to a.m-b.?

Pay attention. If I posted
every time JD said something
retarded, I'd have to live at
my computer.

Seek help.

What does that make you,
jackass? Have a glass of STFU
and sit down.
Old November 8th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

cc wrote:
Ed Pirrero wrote:
cc wrote:
freightgod wrote:
JD preached to the choir:

Nothing important...

as usual....

Amen and thanks to our lord and savior, JD!!

his ego deflates if he doesn't
stroke it constantly.

Maybe he likes having two post-humping bitches that he can pimp-slap
any time he posts to a.m-b.?

Pay attention. If I posted every time JD said something retarded, I'd
have to live at my computer.

I thought you did that anyway while rubbing one out to Dianne Feinstein.

Awwww. Mad because he's right.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old November 9th 06, 12:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ed Pirrero

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
cc wrote:
Ed Pirrero wrote:

Ewww. Now I need a sharp stick for my mind's eye...

Seek help.

What does that make you, jackass? Have a glass of STFU and sit down.

Awwww. Mad because he's right.

Yeah - I can see that struck nerve from all the way over here.

E.P.

Old November 9th 06, 12:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ed Pirrero

cc wrote:
Ed Pirrero wrote:
cc wrote:
freightgod wrote:
JD preached to the choir:

Nothing important...

as usual....

Amen and thanks to our lord and savior, JD!!

his ego deflates if he doesn't
stroke it constantly.

Maybe he likes having two post-humping bitches that he can pimp-slap
any time he posts to a.m-b.?

Pay attention.

I have been...

If I posted
every time JD said something
retarded, I'd have to live at
my computer.

Oooo, an attempt at wit. Bravo.

Seek help.

What does that make you,
jackass?

A non-anonymous, non-Usenet-tough-guy.

Have a glass of STFU
and sit down.

Tough talk from an anonymous e-tard hiding behind a computer screen.

E.P.

Old November 9th 06, 12:21 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
freightgod

Ed Pirrero wrote:
cc wrote:
freightgod wrote:
JD preached to the choir:

Nothing important...

as usual....

Amen and thanks to our lord and savior, JD!!

his ego deflates if he doesn't
stroke it constantly.

Maybe he likes having two post-humping bitches that he can pimp-slap
any time he posts to a.m-b.?

NA,

I think it's because he has an ego problem. And, between you and me. He
usually gets slapped more often than not. Case in point. Why does he
feel the need to pontificate about things that 99% of the people who
frequnt this little commune more than likely already knows.

I dunno, Ed. What's your take?

BZZZT, AS IF ANYBODY GAVE A ****!!

Seek help.

E.P.

**** off and die , follower....

Old November 9th 06, 12:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ed Pirrero

freightgod wrote:

**** off and die , follower....

Another anonymous usenet tough guy.

I bet that'd make your kids so proud.

LOL

E.P.

LA bike shops? entropy Unicycling 5 June 13th 07 08:03 PM
Bike shops in UK DeF Australia 1 June 19th 06 09:28 PM
Sydney, Shops and Older Bikes Snoopy Techniques 9 September 9th 04 04:20 AM
Bike shops johngrass Australia 2 July 19th 04 09:49 PM
Any bike shops in Sydney that trade in bikes? RossB Australia 6 October 15th 03 09:40 AM