Bicycle Commuting on the Rise

Old July 20th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Default Bicycle Commuting on the Rise

MSNBC and Today had a couple articles on the rise of
bicycle commuting in communities all across the US due
to the $4/gal gas prices.

Bike shops in the story said times have never been so
good with bike and bike accessory sales climbing 25-30
percent! People are dusting off the old steed hanging
in the garage or outright buying new bikes, as well as
the lights, fenders, bags and raincoats that go with
bicycle commuting.

Unfortunately, bike fatalities are also on the rise.
A couple communities reported the same number of deaths
so far this year as for all of last year.

Most of the deaths were due to bicyclists disobeying
traffic laws and in some areas, aggressive drivers that
won't share the road with bikes.

Wonder if Mike J has seen such a rise from the bike
buying public he serves?

SMH
Old July 20th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Stephen Harding wrote:
MSNBC and Today had a couple articles on the rise of
bicycle commuting in communities all across the US due
to the $4/gal gas prices.

Bike shops in the story said times have never been so
good with bike and bike accessory sales climbing 25-30
percent! People are dusting off the old steed hanging
in the garage or outright buying new bikes, as well as
the lights, fenders, bags and raincoats that go with
bicycle commuting.

Unfortunately, bike fatalities are also on the rise.
A couple communities reported the same number of deaths
so far this year as for all of last year.

Most of the deaths were due to bicyclists disobeying
traffic laws and in some areas, aggressive drivers that
won't share the road with bikes.

This is also translating into occasional shortages of parts, and longer
waits for skilled service.
And around here, it's getting very crowded on light rail and commuter
trains - crowded with bikes, that is.
And you're right: there are a lot more Freds out there. I recently
saw a man who had to be over 300 lbs. riding the 24"-wheeled bike his
parents bought him when he was a kid. He was wearing all white, and he
looked like a marshmallow on a toothpick.
Worst of all is the rise in wrong-way riders.

Bill

__o | Roads aren't for cars. They're for people.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |
Old July 20th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

| Wonder if Mike J has seen such a rise from the bike
| buying public he serves?

We're getting slammed pretty hard from all sides. It's not quite the panacea one would think. Shops in urban areas, with very high rents, wages & insurance costs, survive on a business model that depends upon selling a certain mix of merchandise. When we get inundated with what are "affectionately" known as BSOs (Bike Shaped Objects), we can quickly get into real trouble. Why? Because it can take a huge amount of time trying to run down parts for older bikes, and an even larger amount of time trying to explain to someone why that relic that they put away in the garage literally over 20 years ago (sometimes 30) isn't worth the time & expense to put back in one piece. And during that time you're dealing with the BSO, you're not taking care of the people who've been there helping you pay your bills, day in & day out.

I think the shops most at risk would be those that were already operating near capacity; those that weren't terribly busy before are probably quite happy right now. We're actively trying to find those shops and direct repair business to them, since it's been standing-room-only in our repair department for some time.

The toughest part is trying to do appropriate triage and figure out who's actually going to keep riding or whether we're looking at a boom/bust cycle like we saw during the last oil crisis (when it wasn't price, but availability causing difficulties for driving). Obviously, we need to do everything we can, while there's an awareness of cycling as an alternative to buying gas, to seize the day and improve the environment for cycling. That's what's needed to keep people on their bikes after they've gotten used to high gas prices and such.

Meantime, we're selling a ton of hybrids (they're such an easy sale these days we have a slogan at the shop- "Sell a hybrid, go to jail" and the only way out of jail is to sell something else), a large number of higher-end road bikes, slightly-weakening higher-end mountain bike sales, huge declines in cheaper mountain bikes (where the customers have moved over to more-appropriate hybrids, since most were never ridden off-road anyway) and moderate numbers of mid-priced road bikes. I'm wondering if the slightly-weaker higher-end mountain bike sales are a result of the gas prices, since people generally have to drive to decent places to ride off-road?

| Unfortunately, bike fatalities are also on the rise.
| A couple communities reported the same number of deaths
| so far this year as for all of last year.

My guess is that, as cyclists become more common on the roads, we'll see substantial decreases in the per-mile-ridden accident rate. It might be a slightly-lumpy road getting there, because inexperienced cyclists are more likely to get into trouble, plus there's a bit of road rage going on with those driving upset about high gas prices, not being able to hold their cell phones next to their ear (in California, but geez, we still let them text, eat their Big Mac and anything else that might allow them suitable distraction!), and, of course, annoyance at the increasing number of bikes on the road.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 20th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Stephen Harding wrote:
MSNBC and Today had a couple articles on the rise of
bicycle commuting in communities all across the US due
to the $4/gal gas prices.

Bike shops in the story said times have never been so
good with bike and bike accessory sales climbing 25-30
percent! People are dusting off the old steed hanging
in the garage or outright buying new bikes, as well as
the lights, fenders, bags and raincoats that go with
bicycle commuting.

Unfortunately, bike fatalities are also on the rise.
A couple communities reported the same number of deaths
so far this year as for all of last year.

Most of the deaths were due to bicyclists disobeying
traffic laws and in some areas, aggressive drivers that
won't share the road with bikes.

Wonder if Mike J has seen such a rise from the bike
buying public he serves?

All the recently unemployed and the large numbers of soon to be
unemployed will not be buying new bicycles or riding them to work.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 20th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Default Bicycle Commuting on the Rise (BSOs on the Rise)

When we get inundated with what are "affectionately" known
as BSOs (Bike Shaped Objects), we can quickly get into real
trouble. Why? Because it can take a huge amount of time trying
to run down parts for older bikes, and an even larger amount
of time trying to explain to someone why that relic that they
put away in the garage literally over 20 years ago (sometimes
30) isn't worth the time & expense to put back in one piece.

=v= Over the years I've been involved with a number of community
bike programs, the idea being to get those clunkers fixed up so
that people can ride them, the goal being more bikes and bikers
on the road. We don't generally set up in snazzy locations, but
somehow we make do.

=v= 20-30 years is nothing. When Victor Papanek tried to come
up with a source of (re)building materials in developing nations
he thought of bikes because they are plentiful, but abandoned
the idea because even ancient bikes were still in use. (In his
book he refers to bikes that are 100 years old.)
_Jym_

Old July 20th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_12_]

My guess is that, as cyclists become more common on the roads, we'll see
substantial decreases in the per-mile-ridden accident rate. It might be a
slightly-lumpy road getting there, because inexperienced cyclists are more
likely to get into trouble, plus there's a bit of road rage going on with
those driving upset about high gas prices, not being able to hold their cell
phones next to their ear (in California, but geez, we still let them text,
eat their Big Mac and anything else that might allow them suitable
distraction!), and, of course, annoyance at the increasing number of bikes
on the road.

--Mike--

I agree with you about the mixture of good and bad with more bicycle riders
getting on the road. Yesterday, every single one I saw was either riding on
the sidewalk or riding against traffic. The guy riding against traffic was
in his 60's and my first thought was "He's old enough to know better!"

However, it is overall a good thing for all of these inexperienced riders
being out there because it is rapidly training motorists to watch out for
all cyclists. No doubt they will also come to appreciate cyclists who obey
traffic rules.

I can always tell the newbies: their knees hit their chins when they ride.

Pat in TX

Old July 20th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

=v= Over the years I've been involved with a number of community
| bike programs, the idea being to get those clunkers fixed up so
| that people can ride them, the goal being more bikes and bikers
| on the road. We don't generally set up in snazzy locations, but
| somehow we make do.

The more programs like that, the better. We donate a great amount of parts & abandoned & customer-donated bikes to a couple local programs. I'd guess that you can generally get two good bikes from every 3-4 abandoned, by cannibalizing good stuff off crashed bikes etc. It would be cool if we could see a return to what was common in the 70s, where kids would think it fun & practical to do such things on their own. Somewhere along the line, it became completely un-cool to do anything mechanical that didn't involve cars or trucks.

Old July 20th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

Wonder if Mike J has seen such a rise from the bike
buying public he serves?

All the recently unemployed and the large numbers of soon to be
unemployed will not be buying new bicycles or riding them to work.

Wow, whadda Gloomy Gus. You remind me of an Andy Capp cartoon,
where Andy's drinkin' buddy says: "I'm an optimist -- I believe
we live in the best of all possible worlds."

Andy responds: "I'm a pessimist -- I believe we live in
the best of all possible worlds."

When I was destitute I had no problem acquiring bikes
by honest means. But then, I attract bikes like lonely
old ladies attract stray cats. Maybe the bikes aren't
brand spankin' new, but they're servicable, and often
downright lovely.

Worldwide, bikes still outnumber cars.

Austere folks should have no trouble acquiring bikes.
What's really needed is affordable bike trailers.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old July 20th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

Wonder if Mike J has seen such a rise from the bike
buying public he serves?

All the recently unemployed and the large numbers of soon to be
unemployed will not be buying new bicycles or riding them to work.

Wow, whadda Gloomy Gus. You remind me of an Andy Capp cartoon,
where Andy's drinkin' buddy says: "I'm an optimist -- I believe
we live in the best of all possible worlds."

Andy responds: "I'm a pessimist -- I believe we live in
the best of all possible worlds."

Well, the industry in which I work has practically collapsed, with only
current projects being completed. New projects are being canceled or put
on hold left and right.

When I was destitute I had no problem acquiring bikes
by honest means. But then, I attract bikes like lonely
old ladies attract stray cats. Maybe the bikes aren't
brand spankin' new, but they're servicable, and often
downright lovely.

Please note that I wrote the "soon to be unemployed will not be buying
NEW bicycles" (caps added).

The unemployed will also, by definition, NOT be commuting.

Worldwide, bikes still outnumber cars.

Austere folks should have no trouble acquiring bikes.
What's really needed is affordable bike trailers.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.

The Rise & Fall of the Bicycle---tonight (Mon) on Radio 4 Blue Frog UK 1 July 24th 06 07:02 PM
Bicycle is king of the road as gas costs rise cfsmtb Australia 14 May 9th 06 12:35 AM
Commuting by Bicycle John General 0 December 9th 03 08:23 PM
Commuting by Bicycle John Off Road 0 December 9th 03 08:01 PM