Belt drive bikes?

Old November 6th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

Default Belt drive bikes?

Hello,

The bike in this video[www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/]
has a belt drive.

This belt drive is completely new to me. Are you folks familiar with
this? Do you know any other bikes that have the same thing?

How is its performance? It looks cheap, flimsy, and easily breakable
to me.I think I'll stick with the old metal chain!

Cullen

Old November 7th 09, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2009-11-06, wrote:
Hello,

The bike in this video[
www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/]
has a belt drive.

This belt drive is completely new to me. Are you folks familiar with
this? Do you know any other bikes that have the same thing?

How is its performance? It looks cheap, flimsy, and easily breakable
to me.I think I'll stick with the old metal chain!

The drive belt is way over-spec for the job. It should pretty much last
forever. A chain needs replacing every few thousand kilometres.

I've seen these in the shops, and a few years ago saw a custom-made
flat-bar tourer with a belt driving a Rohloff gear hub. A little less
mechanical efficiency than a chain and derailleur, but clean and
ultra-reliable. I'd consider this setup for my next commuter, for sure.

--
John
"Never journey without something to eat in your pocket, if only to throw to
Old November 8th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Norman

On 2009-11-06, wrote:

Hello,

The bike in this video[www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/]
has a belt drive.

This belt drive is completely new to me. Are you folks familiar with
this? Do you know any other bikes that have the same thing?

How is its performance? It looks cheap, flimsy, and easily breakable
to me.I think I'll stick with the old metal chain!

The drive belt is way over-spec for the job. *It should pretty much last
forever. *A chain needs replacing every few thousand kilometres.

I've seen these in the shops, and a few years ago saw a custom-made
flat-bar tourer with a belt driving a Rohloff gear hub. *A little less
mechanical efficiency than a chain and derailleur, but clean and
ultra-reliable. *I'd consider this setup for my next commuter, for sure..

The drawbacks, while not necessarily "deal breakers",
are nagging horrors:
1) separable right-hand "chain" stay
2) limited range of ratios (since you can't add or subtract
links to the belt)
3) availability of replacement belts &/or pulleys (I guess
if these become popular enough we can talk of "belt-
wheels" ad nausuem)
4) belts often need significant pretension to transmit. I
suppose the notches are to help with that, but once the
rubber ages a bit, and those notches start shedding
like the mange, what do you do?
5) fouling from sticks, plastic bags, squirrels (I know a
chain isn't a magical cure for this, but my fixed-gear has
rather blithely eaten a few sticks without harm. I'm a bit
curious as to how the belt performs in a FOD heavy
environment)

Old November 17th 09, 11:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
terryc

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:42:42 -0800, Ears wrote:

On Nov 6, 5:45Â*am, " wrote:

This belt drive is completely new to me.

Progress is good.

What progress?
AFAIK, it is just history repeating itself again and again and again.....

Old November 18th 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

terryc wrote:

Ears wrote:

ccarter wrote:

This belt drive is completely new to me.

Progress is good.

What progress?
AFAIK, it is just history repeating itself again and again and again.....

Belt drive will catch hold when it becomes reasonably cost-competitive
with chain, and not until then.

As it is, you can buy an pretty decent chain-drive bike for just the
cost of a belt and two belt sprockets. That's a recipe for failure--
completely predictable failure.

Chalo

What is the case with belt drive? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 62 October 27th 09 07:42 AM
Belt Drive Arrives Leo Lichtman[_2_] Techniques 1 November 21st 08 11:40 PM
Belt drive parts hhu Techniques 0 January 30th 05 09:26 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 09:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 09:53 PM