London sees a different type of cyclist

Old December 11th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default London sees a different type of cyclist

Just got back from spending a few days in London, with the following
observations-

#1: They're tough as nails. I was there during their recent ice age, with
temps sitting right at or below freezing. I was amazed at how many cyclists
were out on the streets, both night & day.

#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird; whether on a
home-brew fixie or carbon road bike, they stop with the rest of the traffic,
and go with the rest of the traffic. Virtually without exception. Very odd
thing to witness!

#3: London's efforts to reduce congestion in the city seem to have paid off.
It's a lot easier to get around than last time I visited. Either that or
everyone stayed home because of the cold.

#4: Near the Gloucester tube station, you've got a Paul (French bakery
chain) a couple doors away from a Starbucks. Paul was doing significantly
more business and turning tables a lot more quickly. Would love to see them
open in the US; I prefer their coffee and their baked goods are world's
better. Of course, this has nothing to do with cycling (other than creating
"more livable" communities?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old December 11th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 12/10/2010 8:32 PM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Just got back from spending a few days in London, with the following
observations-
[...]
#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird; whether
on a home-brew fixie or carbon road bike, they stop with the rest of the

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird; whether
on a home-brew fixie or carbon road bike, they stop with the rest of the
traffic, and go with the rest of the traffic. Virtually without
exception. Very odd thing to witness![...]

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g.

--
T m Sherm n - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

A couple of commuter races
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKGbq8w7DJ0 Hackney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBJaMzatz8o London Top Gear Part 1 of 4
(10 min each)

#2: They don't run stop lights& signs. It's just plain weird; whether
on a home-brew fixie or carbon road bike, they stop with the rest of the
traffic, and go with the rest of the traffic. Virtually without
exception. Very odd thing to witness![...]

Seehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g.

A couple of commuter races
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKGbq8w7DJ0 Hackney

RANS Formula with Mueller Windwrap at 5:37-5:39?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBJaMzatz8o London Top Gear Part 1 of 4
(10 min each)

Where was the helicopter?

Old December 11th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Colin Nelson

#1: They're tough as nails. I was there during their recent ice age,
with temps sitting right at or below freezing. I was amazed at how
many cyclists were out on the streets, both night & day.

#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird;
whether on a home-brew fixie or carbon road bike, they stop with the

#3: London's efforts to reduce congestion in the city seem to have
paid off. It's a lot easier to get around than last time I visited.
Either that or everyone stayed home because of the cold.

#4: Near the Gloucester tube station, you've got a Paul (French

bakery
chain) a couple doors away from a Starbucks. Paul was doing
significantly more business and turning tables a lot more quickly.
Would love to see them open in the US; I prefer their coffee and
their baked goods are world's better. Of course, this has nothing to
do with cycling (other than creating "more livable" communities?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Bless you my son ...

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

Old December 11th 10, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

#1: They're tough as nails. I was there during their recent ice age,

#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird;

#3: London's efforts to reduce congestion in the city seem to have

#4: Near the Gloucester tube station, you've got a Paul (French

bakery
chain) a couple doors away from a Starbucks. Paul was doing
significantly more business and turning tables a lot more quickly.
Would love to see them open in the US; I prefer their coffee and
their baked goods are world's better. Of course, this has nothing to
do with cycling (other than creating "more livable" communities?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Bless you my son ...

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

I don't know which part of London Mike Jacoubowsky visited to see all
those law abiding cyclists, but it's obviously nowhere I have been!

Derek C
Old December 11th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

#1: They're tough as nails. I was there during their recent ice age,

#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird;

#3: London's efforts to reduce congestion in the city seem to have

#4: Near the Gloucester tube station, you've got a Paul (French

bakery
chain) a couple doors away from a Starbucks. Paul was doing
significantly more business and turning tables a lot more quickly.
Would love to see them open in the US; I prefer their coffee and
their baked goods are world's better. Of course, this has nothing to
do with cycling (other than creating "more livable" communities?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Bless you my son ...

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

I don't know which part of London Mike Jacoubowsky visited to see all
those law abiding cyclists, but it's obviously nowhere I have been!

Derek C

Everything is OK for a cyclist EXCEPT riding on sidewalks and pushing
around pedestrians.

That's the way it is around here.
Old December 11th 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

#3: London's efforts to reduce congestion in the city seem to have

#4: Near the Gloucester tube station, you've got a Paul (French

bakery

**** off yank.

Old December 11th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

#1: They're tough as nails. I was there during their recent ice age,

#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird;

#3: London's efforts to reduce congestion in the city seem to have

#4: Near the Gloucester tube station, you've got a Paul (French

bakery
chain) a couple doors away from a Starbucks. Paul was doing
significantly more business and turning tables a lot more quickly.
Would love to see them open in the US; I prefer their coffee and
their baked goods are world's better. Of course, this has nothing to
do with cycling (other than creating "more livable" communities?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Bless you my son ...

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

**** off yank.

Careful! Don't forget the 'special relationship' which allows the US
to use the UK as an unpaid and unsinkable European aircraft carrier.

Derek C
Old December 11th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

#1: They're tough as nails. I was there during their recent ice age,

#2: They don't run stop lights & signs. It's just plain weird;

#3: London's efforts to reduce congestion in the city seem to have

#4: Near the Gloucester tube station, you've got a Paul (French
bakery
chain) a couple doors away from a Starbucks. Paul was doing
significantly more business and turning tables a lot more quickly.
Would love to see them open in the US; I prefer their coffee and
their baked goods are world's better. Of course, this has nothing to
do with cycling (other than creating "more livable" communities?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Bless you my son ...

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

**** off yank.

Careful! Don't forget the 'special relationship' which allows the US
to use the UK as an unpaid and unsinkable European aircraft carrier.

If it can't sail anywhere it loses its strategic importance. It would
great if the UK sat somewhere in the Middle East. It was important
when we fought the Nazis but not now.

Their diplomatic efforts are another thing though, and the
apprehension of Assange is particularly particularly appreciated in
the defense of democracy from democracy.