If I drive my car the same way most cyclist ride - I would be bannedfor driving

Old September 14th 12, 05:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Rot in Hell Evan Chandler

Default If I drive my car the same way most cyclist ride - I would be bannedfor driving

90% of them have no respect for the laws on the road.
Old September 14th 12, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mel Rowing

On Sep 14, 5:42*am, Rot in Hell Evan Chandler t...@asb-comm-
logicx.com wrote:

90% of them have no respect for the laws on the road.

Some of them have no respect for thei own lives.

Only yesterday I had to stand the car on its end when one crossed a
junction from left to right , from one pavement to the other directly
across my path.

He was yapping into a mobile phone and riding on the pavement. I don't
think he knows I was there even now, or that I possibly saved his life
or serious injury to him.

When was the last time you heard of a cyclist being given fixed
penalty for anything?

Old September 14th 12, 10:15 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Periander[_4_]

On 14-Sep-2012, Mel Rowing wrote:

When was the last time you heard of a cyclist being given fixed
penalty for anything?

If it helps I know a police sgt in central London who rewards his PCSOs (he
has no budget for overtime or anything like that) with mars bars and the
like paid for out of his own pocket based on the number of FPNs they issue
to cyclists.

The problem is though, like any other sector of society it's the bad
cyclists that stand out from the crowd and provide the lasting impression,
my experience is that most cyclists are reasonably sensible and aware of
other road users.

--

All the best,

Periander
Old September 14th 12, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Bartc

"Rot in Hell Evan Chandler" wrote in message
90% of them have no respect for the laws on the road.

So even you admit there are some decent cyclists?

I'm one of the 10% and I believe that figure is much higher; you just don't
notice them.

Anyway how *do* you have to drive to be banned; driving at a furious 15 mph?
Parking on the pavement and chaining your car to a railing?

--
Bartc

Old September 14th 12, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Tony Dragon

On 14/09/2012 11:00, Luke Moore wrote:
Rot in Hell Evan Chandler wrote:

90% of them have no respect for the laws on the road.

I do not think you would necessarily be banned from driving. Not when you
consider that the vast majority of the percentage of cyclists, who have no
respect for the law, only break them on those occasions when it is quite safe
and sensible to do so.

Lets see, get off the train,walk to pedestrian crossing, wait for green
man, cross road dodging the cyclists who are riding through a pedestrian
crossing.
Old September 14th 12, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Iain[_2_]

Luke Moore wrote:
Rot in Hell Evan Chandler wrote:

90% of them have no respect for the laws on the road.

I do not think you would necessarily be banned from driving. Not when
you consider that the vast majority of the percentage of cyclists,
who have no respect for the law, only break them on those occasions
when it is quite safe and sensible

In whose opinion? That is a presumptuous statement.

to do so.

I resent approaching a junction where I have the right of way and when there
is a cyclist approaching (not with right of way) and have to try and
anticipate whether or not the cyclist will ignore the signs and come
hurtling through. It also interferes with the overall traffic flow.

An earlier post said that we do not necessarily notice a 10% (of decent
cyclists). I do take a mental note of the law-abiding cyclists, and I have
noticed over recent months that there are more cyclists who are stopping at
red lights. I hope that this is a trend that will continue to increase.
And these are the ones who are 'geared up'.

--
Iain

Old September 14th 12, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
John Turner

"Rot in Hell Evan Chandler" wrote

90% of them have no respect for the laws on the road.

As someone who both drives and rides I'd love to know where your 90%
statistic comes from.

In 48 years of riding motorcycles I've never been done for speeding on a
bike (which is more than I can say when driving a car) and have had one
accident in each of cars and bikes.

Most of the bikers I know (and that's a fair few) are similarly law abiding.

If you're going to make crass statements like that, then expect to have to
back them up with facts.

John.

Old September 14th 12, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

In 48 years of riding motorcycles I've never been done for speeding on a
bike (which is more than I can say when driving a car) and have had one
accident in each of cars and bikes.

Oops, sorry - read motorcyclist not cyclist - and yes I agree!

John.

Old September 14th 12, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
thirty-six

On 14 Sep, 05:42, Rot in Hell Evan Chandler
wrote:
90% of them have no respect for the laws on the road.

"If I drive my car the same way most cyclist ride - I would be banned
for driving "

Cars are not meant to be driven on two wheels.
Old September 14th 12, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Deux

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 13:49:29 +0100, John Turner wrote:

If you're going to make crass statements like that, then expect
to have to back them up with facts.

Oops, sorry - read motorcyclist not cyclist - and yes I agree!

Can we expect *you* to back that up with facts?

Plod drive into cyclist Jason[_7_] UK 4 August 24th 12 11:16 PM
Cyclist driving a car forgets which he is using Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 9 February 11th 12 05:30 AM
How on earth was this cyclist allowed to keep a driving licence? Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 28 November 21st 10 10:16 AM
Courier Mail: Drunk cyclist is banned from driving Donga Australia 17 March 7th 06 04:41 AM
Cager driving while blinded by sun kills cyclist, receives citationfor registration violation Robert J. Matter General 11 May 28th 05 03:57 AM