A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sainsbury's lorry driver jailed for fatal crash which killed cyclist

Old February 27th 20, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Sainsbury's lorry driver jailed for fatal crash which killed cyclist

QUOTE:
A SAINSBURY's lorry driver has been jailed after a cyclist was struck and killed in Bracknell.

Stephen Gibbons was killed when he was struck by the supermarket lorry on August 4, 2018.

Reading Crown Court heard how the 61-year-old cyclist was riding his bicycle to work on the A322 Bagshot Road, when he was hit and killed by the heavy goods Scania vehicle. Today Vincent Cassar, of Osborne Road, Basingstoke, was brought before the courts over the cyclist's death.

As part of the sentencing, the court heard from Stephen's brother Alan, who broke down in tears as he took to the stand to read his own statement.

He said: “Stephen was my only brother, I loved him to bits.

“On the August 4, everything changed our lives forever. I got a phone call to say he was killed and I had to go and tell my mother her son was killed and it was the hardest thing I had to do. “We went to the hospital to see Stephen and say goodbye, something I will have to live with till the day I die.”

Cassar, 65, who is no longer a delivery driver for the supermarket chain, pleaded guilty on January 7 to death by careless driving.

Prosecuting, Charles Royle, said: "Stephen was only cycling to work one day a week when he thought it was safe to do so.

"His bicycle was equipped with lights and that was seen on CCTV when he passed a BP garage minutes earlier."

The court heard how when Cassar struck Mr Gibbons he stopped, but thinking it was a deer drove off and continued his delivery. It was shortly after while driving back past the scene he saw police and pulled over realising something more had happened.

Mr Oliver Renton, defending, said: "Mr Cassar has lived with the consequences of his own actions, he is deeply sorry.

“There is another way of sentencing a father, a stepfather, grandfather than to send him to prison."

Mr Renton explained Cassar was concerned for the cyclist, as he pulled over, stopping to ask police officers if he was married and if he had children.

He added: "He stopped on the southbound carriageway and told the police officer there was a serious collision and that he might have been involved. "At this point he realised there was a fatality and became upset."

"This was a rural route, no one else was on it and Mr Cassar has used this route before."

Judge Paul Dugdale previously said at a court hearing on January 7, that Cassar is "a man of very good character in his mid-60s with a clean licence".

In sentencing today, judge Angela Morris at Reading Crown Court, said: "In cases like this, there are no winners. It has taken over 18 months which is a great concern for this court, both for Stephen Gibbons family and for the defendant as well. "Stephen Gibbons was a popular, caring man and I want to make it clear now this sentencing is not in anyway a reflection of his life, there is no price to put on Stephen Gibbons life."

"You would have and should have seen Mr Gibbons on that road, if you have been giving that road the proper attention it deserves.

"I accept that this offence has haunted you, physically and psychologically and I accept that you are truly responsible for your actions."

Vincent Cassar was sentenced to 16 months imprisonment and disqualified from driving for three years.

https://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news...illed-cyclist/
Ads