A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Who makes RBT slimy underfoot by drooling at their own viciousness?

Old March 31st 20, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Who makes RBT slimy underfoot by drooling at their own viciousness?

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 7:03:19 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 10:00:34 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 7:21:07 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 7:02:05 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 29 March 2020 21:43:27 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/29/2020 9:25 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 17:18:02 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Sunday, 29 March 2020 20:02:22 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/29/2020 2:15 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 10:13:10 PM UTC-7, AnotherJim wrote:
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 7:07:19 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 07:43:58 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 2:13:05 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
Incredibly, in a thread headlined "Who makes RBT slimy underfoot by drooling at their own viciousness?" John B. Slocomb is rolling around in his own vicious drool:

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 10:43:29 PM UTC, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 09:55:32 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Now it is your memory that is failing you.

No Tommy, it isn't. It is just you telling lies again.

I'm still a bit undecided just why you tell lies. Whether it is simply
because you are ignorant? Or maybe, like your lord and master, the guy
with the blond comb-over, you lie to inflate your ego, or perhaps is
just the "crazy pills" that you take.

But for whatever reason you lie!
--
cheers,

John B.

Not only that but he actually thinks that I would read more than a sentence out of his bull****. Normally I don't read him at all except for the stuff that people have quoted. He doesn't even know that the military had changed to the .308 when newer forms of faster burning (more powerful) powder were developed. He just keeps getting into it deeper and deeper. A 30-06 has a bullet diameter of .308".

Goodness Gracious! Are you really sure? Can it be?

But of course the 30-06 has a bullet diameter of .308 inches... But
then, the 20-40 Krag, which is properly called the ".30 Army" used a
.308 bullet. Adopted by the U.S. Army in 1894, the first cartridge
adopted by the US Army that was specifically designed for smokeless
powder.

Then we have the M1A1 carbine that had a .308 bullet diameter, and
the 30-30, once a common "deer rifle", and the .300 Savage, which my
father preferred, and the .300 Remington Magnum and the 300 Remington
Short Action Magnum, and the 300 Weatherby Magnum, and, and, and.

There are at least 20 different cartridges that all use a ..308" bullet
diameter.

You ignorant oaf.
--
cheers,

John B.

I've read through this whole name-calling exchange and there's at least one thing I don't understand: what is RBT?

What you have unfortunately witnessed in this group is the fact that those that know bicycle mechanics generally have few questions about it and most of those who don't know bicycle technology prefer to turn this group into a garbage pit of their opinions.

:-) That was posted by the guy who required a dozen posts and maybe two
weeks to install a bottom bracket. And I won't even try to recall all
his confusion about Di2!

--
- Frank Krygowski

LOL! talks about the pot calling the kettle black!

Cheers

What! Frank has switched to electric shifting?
(what is the world coming to?)

I don't know what Sir is mis-remembering. Yes, I did two bottom brackets
last week. No, unlike Tom, I didn't require repeated questions here to
figure out how to do the job. I did the job, then mentioned it afterward.

So far, I've had absolutely zero problems with Di2. I have a foolproof
method for avoiding Di2 problems! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not mis-remembering anything. I was referring to Tom not you.

Cheers

That must be because you're a complete Di2 genius and knew from the first that there are three or four different versions of the external battery mount that all look exactly the same but are not interchangeable.

There is certainly something really wrong with people that do not have any answers but belittle others who also don't. Until I went to a bike shop that knew exactly where to get the Shimano interchangeability parts list none of you jackasses knew anything of value.

Why don't you tell us what the difference is between the Shimano 7970 and the 9070?

Dude, don't make out like you're some genius. What has it been, a month that you've been struggling with assembling your Di2? Have you even got it working yet? Frank -- or any reasonably competent person -- could buy a Di2 component group and install it in a morning -- O.K., maybe longer for wire routing. It's not rocket science. You make it hard by buying a lot of mismatched crap second hand without checking compatibility before buying it. It's like shooting yourself in the leg and then congratulating yourself on being an expert in wound management.

And who cares about the f****** product numbers. You just look them up on Google or the Shimano site.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, all it would have taken is for someone here to even KNOW that there are different series of components and they are not interchangeable and that there were interchangeability charts on the Shimano site if you know where to look. But none of you nitwits knew that but had plenty of useless advice on how stupid I am.

Don't blame us. All we do is talk about different iterations of Shimano equipment all the way back to the '70s.

Half your technical posts -- as sparse as they may be -- involve impossible fact patterns, like your bottom bracket on a standard Redline Conquest being something other than 68mm or some other down-a-rabbit hole problem. And then you rant and sputter and pretend to be all knowing when someone corrects an obvious mistake. Why bother?

I have been riding the bike for a month in case you missed it. Unlike you I do my own work, I my own mistakes and I do not try to tell you that you weren't hit in the head by a tree branch in the bike lane as your stupid alter ego did.

WTF, unlike me, you do your own work? I could have removed and reinstalled my UDi2 ten times before you got your system in. I've been building my own wheels since 1976, cut the tubes for my steel frames and did the finish work, but not the brazing -- although I did re-braze a couple of broken frames. The only thing I haven't done on my bikes is carbon repair, preferring to leave that to experts -- conveniently located a few miles from my house. https://ruckuscomp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQ... AEgLA5fD_BwE

I dragged my Di2 RD cable into the cassette during a vigorous wash in the wash stand and soldered the wires back together, although I now have a replacement segment. I've managed to keep my Di2 running, no fuss no muss.

That one thing alone shows a level of mindlessness inconceivable to normal people

Not normal people on this NG. Yes, there are many tasks on a modern bike that require new skills, like programming Di2 either with eTube or on the bike. I still have to follow the Shimano instructions for setting trim and decipher the flashing lights, but it doesn't take super-intelligence. It's like fifteen minutes of watching YouTube posts. You do have to pay attention to generational changes and not buy things willy-nilly thinking they're going to work. Carbon paste is a necessity, but you have to know where to use that, too -- along with ordinary lubricants and anti-seize.

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads
Old March 31st 20, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 10:43:09 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
wrote:

wrote:

Incredibly, in a thread headlined "Who makes RBT slimy underfoot by drooling at their own viciousness?" John B. Slocomb is rolling around in his own vicious drool:

wrote:

No Tommy, it isn't. It is just you telling lies again..

--
cheers,

John B.

Not only that but he actually thinks that I would read more than a sentence out of his bull****. Normally I don't read him at all except for the stuff that people have quoted. He doesn't even know that the military had changed to the .308 when newer forms of faster burning (more powerful) powder were developed. He just keeps getting into it deeper and deeper. A 30-06 has a bullet diameter of .308".

powder.

There are at least 20 different cartridges that all use a .308" bullet
diameter.

You ignorant oaf.
--
cheers,

John B.

I've read through this whole name-calling exchange and there's at least one thing I don't understand: what is RBT?

What you have unfortunately witnessed in this group is the fact that those that know bicycle mechanics generally have few questions about it and most of those who don't know bicycle technology prefer to turn this group into a garbage pit of their opinions.

his confusion about Di2!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

That must be because you're a complete Di2 genius and knew from the first that there are three or four different versions of the external battery mount that all look exactly the same but are not interchangeable.

There is certainly something really wrong with people that do not have any answers but belittle others who also don't. Until I went to a bike shop that knew exactly where to get the Shimano interchangeability parts list none of you jackasses knew anything of value.

Why don't you tell us what the difference is between the Shimano 7970 and the 9070?

Dude, don't make out like you're some genius. What has it been, a month that you've been struggling with assembling your Di2? Have you even got it working yet? Frank -- or any reasonably competent person -- could buy a Di2 component group and install it in a morning -- O.K., maybe longer for wire routing. It's not rocket science. You make it hard by buying a lot of mismatched crap second hand without checking compatibility before buying it. It's like shooting yourself in the leg and then congratulating yourself on being an expert in wound management.

And who cares about the f****** product numbers. You just look them up on Google or the Shimano site.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, all it would have taken is for someone here to even KNOW that there are different series of components and they are not interchangeable and that there were interchangeability charts on the Shimano site if you know where to look. But none of you nitwits knew that but had plenty of useless advice on how stupid I am.

Don't blame us. All we do is talk about different iterations of Shimano equipment all the way back to the '70s.

Half your technical posts -- as sparse as they may be -- involve impossible fact patterns, like your bottom bracket on a standard Redline Conquest being something other than 68mm or some other down-a-rabbit hole problem. And then you rant and sputter and pretend to be all knowing when someone corrects an obvious mistake. Why bother?

I have been riding the bike for a month in case you missed it. Unlike you I do my own work, I my own mistakes and I do not try to tell you that you weren't hit in the head by a tree branch in the bike lane as your stupid alter ego did.

WTF, unlike me, you do your own work? I could have removed and reinstalled my UDi2 ten times before you got your system in. I've been building my own wheels since 1976, cut the tubes for my steel frames and did the finish work, but not the brazing -- although I did re-braze a couple of broken frames. The only thing I haven't done on my bikes is carbon repair, preferring to leave that to experts -- conveniently located a few miles from my house. https://ruckuscomp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQ... AEgLA5fD_BwE

I dragged my Di2 RD cable into the cassette during a vigorous wash in the wash stand and soldered the wires back together, although I now have a replacement segment. I've managed to keep my Di2 running, no fuss no muss.

That one thing alone shows a level of mindlessness inconceivable to normal people

Not normal people on this NG. Yes, there are many tasks on a modern bike that require new skills, like programming Di2 either with eTube or on the bike. I still have to follow the Shimano instructions for setting trim and decipher the flashing lights, but it doesn't take super-intelligence. It's like fifteen minutes of watching YouTube posts. You do have to pay attention to generational changes and not buy things willy-nilly thinking they're going to work. Carbon paste is a necessity, but you have to know where to use that, too -- along with ordinary lubricants and anti-seize.

-- Jay Beattie.

Why are you posting? You just show you know almost nothing about what you're talking about and you think that your source of valuable information is youTube rather than Shimano website.

If there is one thing that is really significant to Di2 it is your ability to sand the ends of cut steel tubes.
Old March 31st 20, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 11:07:10 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

--
cheers,

John B.

powder.

diameter.

You ignorant oaf.
--
cheers,

John B.

his confusion about Di2!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

Why are you posting? You just show you know almost nothing about what you're talking about and you think that your source of valuable information is youTube rather than Shimano website.

If there is one thing that is really significant to Di2 it is your ability to sand the ends of cut steel tubes.

You miter them with a file, actually (assuming no mill) -- and any time you want, I will race you with the disassembly and assembly of a modern Di2 bike -- and any crank/BB type, because I have all the tools, BB30,86,90,PF30, ISIS (Truvativ, FSA tools), Octalink, Shimano outboard (new and old cup standards), Praxisworks cup tools, loose bearing (Campy tools) and even Phil Wood. What a spectacular waste of money! I'm going to start a road-side museum of historical BB tools.

If you're so smart, what is the SKU number for that little internal cable guide in the non-series RS685 shift levers (left). Ha! I knew you wouldn't know. Ka-cha! I own two of them, making me the winner.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 1st 20, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 11:44:02 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

--
cheers,

John B.

then, the 20-40 Krag, which is properly called the "..30 Army" used a
powder.

diameter.

You ignorant oaf.
--
cheers,

John B.

his confusion about Di2!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

-- Jay Beattie.

Half your technical posts -- as sparse as they may be -- involve impossible fact patterns, like your bottom bracket on a standard Redline Conquest being something other than 68mm or some other down-a-rabbit hole problem.. And then you rant and sputter and pretend to be all knowing when someone corrects an obvious mistake. Why bother?

-- Jay Beattie.

You miter them with a file, actually (assuming no mill) -- and any time you want, I will race you with the disassembly and assembly of a modern Di2 bike -- and any crank/BB type, because I have all the tools, BB30,86,90,PF30, ISIS (Truvativ, FSA tools), Octalink, Shimano outboard (new and old cup standards), Praxisworks cup tools, loose bearing (Campy tools) and even Phil Wood. What a spectacular waste of money! I'm going to start a road-side museum of historical BB tools.

If you're so smart, what is the SKU number for that little internal cable guide in the non-series RS685 shift levers (left). Ha! I knew you wouldn't know. Ka-cha! I own two of them, making me the winner.

-- Jay Beattie.

How about I introduce you to any one of several builders that will say that you only need to clean the saw cuts with emery cloth?

You will "race" me with assembly of Di2??? Again, there is a missing cog in your cassette.
Old April 1st 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 4/1/2020 10:41 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

--
cheers,

John B.

powder.

diameter.

You ignorant oaf.
--
cheers,

John B.

his confusion about Di2!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

How about I introduce you to any one of several builders that will say that you only need to clean the saw cuts with emery cloth?

You will "race" me with assembly of Di2??? Again, there is a missing cog in your cassette.

Saw cut? WTH? What saw does this?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/gth8.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old April 1st 20, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 8:50:43 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

--
cheers,

John B.

powder.

diameter.

You ignorant oaf.
--
cheers,

John B.

his confusion about Di2!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not mis-remembering anything. I was referring to Tom not you..

Cheers

-- Jay Beattie.

I dragged my Di2 RD cable into the cassette during a vigorous wash in the wash stand and soldered the wires back together, although I now have a replacement segment. I've managed to keep my Di2 running, no fuss no muss..

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

I guess TK never went to a mechanics race. I doubt they even do those anymore.

Answer, none. Tom knows some unique frame builders. Maybe they use chainsaws. https://tinyurl.com/tvv7ran (Reedsport Ory-gun).

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 1st 20, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

--
cheers,

John B.

powder.

diameter.

You ignorant oaf.
--
cheers,

John B.

his confusion about Di2!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not mis-remembering anything. I was referring to Tom not you..

Cheers

-- Jay Beattie.

I dragged my Di2 RD cable into the cassette during a vigorous wash in the wash stand and soldered the wires back together, although I now have a replacement segment. I've managed to keep my Di2 running, no fuss no muss..

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Andrew, you know very well that most frame builders pushed straight ended tubes in until they are against the head tube slightly and then brazed them. The stuff you showed (mandrel cut in a mill) usually is very fine workmanship that is normally silver soldered high strength steel which is triple butted.

While I admit that there are so few mass manufactured steel frames anymore it would be hard to find examples of this, that used to be the way. I did go through a machinist school back in high school where they classified me with the dumb kids classes (non-college prep). I also had to take fine woodworking entirely with hand tools. I still have one of my drawers in the garage fill with planes and chisels etc. I also had table saws and miter saws but damned if I know what happened to them after I had my concussion. Probably sold them for a song. One of my very good friends was the machinist for Keith Bontrager so I used to hang around watching how they were built and saw finely made bikes while they were made And they didn't need to file the ends of the tubes. Carbide tipped mill bits do not leave crappy cuts.

For that matter that is how they built the Colnago C40 - the lugs were cast into the head tube and then they pushed straight ended carbon tubes into them.
Old April 1st 20, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 9:22:12 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 7:07:19 PM UTC-4, John B.. wrote:
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 10:43:29 PM UTC, John B.. wrote:
wrote:

Old April 1st 20, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.
external usenet poster

On 4/1/2020 12:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/1/2020 2:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 7:02:05 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
On Sunday, 29 March 2020 21:43:27 UTC-4, Frank KrygowskiÂ* wrote:
wrote:

On Sunday, 29 March 2020 20:02:22 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 10:13:10 PM UTC-7,
AnotherJim wrote:
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 7:07:19 PM UTC-4, John
B. wrote:
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 2:13:05 AM UTC-7,
Andre Jute wrote:
Incredibly, in a thread headlined "Who makes RBT
slimy underfoot by drooling at their own
viciousness?" John B. Slocomb is rolling around in
his own vicious drool:

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 10:43:29 PM UTC, John
B. wrote:
wrote:

I'm still a bit undecided just why you tell lies.
Whether it is simply
because you are ignorant? Or maybe, like your lord
and master, the guy
with the blond comb-over, you lie to inflate your
ego, or perhaps is

--
cheers,

John B.

Not only that but he actually thinks that I would
read more than a sentence out of his bull****.
Normally I don't read him at all except for the stuff
that people have quoted. He doesn't even know that
the military had changed to the .308 when newer forms
of faster burning (more powerful) powder were
developed. He just keeps getting into it deeper and
deeper. A 30-06 has a bullet diameter of .308".

But of course the 30-06 has a bullet diameter of .308
inches...Â* But
then, the 20-40 Krag, which is properly called the
".30 Army" used a
.308 bullet. Adopted by the U.S. Army in 1894, the
first cartridge
adopted by the US Army that was specifically designed
for smokeless
powder.

ThenÂ* we have the M1A1 carbine that had a .308 bullet
diameter, and
the 30-30, once a common "deer rifle", and the .300
Savage, which my
father preferred, and the .300 Remington Magnum and
the 300 Remington
Short Action Magnum, and the 300 Weatherby Magnum,
and, and, and.

There are at least 20 different cartridges that all
use a .308" bullet
diameter.

You ignorant oaf.
--
cheers,

John B.

I've read through this whole name-calling exchange and
there's at least one thing I don't understand: what is
RBT?

What you have unfortunately witnessed in this group is
the fact that those that know bicycle mechanics
generally have few questions about it and most of those
who don't know bicycle technology prefer to turn this
group into a garbage pit of their opinions.

:-) That was posted by the guy who required a dozen posts
and maybe two
weeks to install a bottom bracket. And I won't even try
to recall all
his confusion about Di2!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cheers

I don't know what Sir is mis-remembering. Yes, I did two
bottom brackets
last week. No, unlike Tom, I didn't require repeated
questions here to
figure out how to do the job. I did the job, then mentioned
it afterward.

So far, I've had absolutely zero problems with Di2. I have a
foolproof
method for avoiding Di2 problems!Â* ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not mis-remembering anything. I was referring to Tom not
you.

Cheers

That must be because you're a complete Di2 genius and knew
from the first that there are three or four different versions
of the external battery mount that all look exactly the same
but are not interchangeable.

There is certainly something really wrong with people that do
not have any answers but belittle others who also don't. Until
I went to a bike shop that knew exactly where to get the
Shimano interchangeability parts list none of you jackasses
knew anything of value.

Why don't you tell us what the difference is between the
Shimano 7970 and the 9070?

Dude, don't make out like you're some genius.Â* What has it
been, a month that you've been struggling with assembling your
Di2?Â* Have you even got it working yet? Frank -- or any
reasonably competent person -- could buy a Di2 component group
and install it in a morning -- O.K., maybe longer for wire
routing.Â* It's not rocket science.Â* You make it hard by buying
a lot of mismatched crap second hand without checking
compatibility before buying it.Â* It's like shooting yourself in
the leg and then congratulating yourself on being an expert in
wound management.

And who cares about the f****** product numbers.Â* You just look
them up on Google or the Shimano site.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, all it would have taken is for someone here to even KNOW
that there are different series of components and they are not
interchangeable and that there were interchangeability charts on
the Shimano site if you know where to look. But none of you
nitwits knew that but had plenty of useless advice on how stupid
I am.

Don't blame us. All we do is talk about different iterations of
Shimano equipment all the way back to the '70s.

Half your technical posts -- as sparse as they may be -- involve
impossible fact patterns, like your bottom bracket on a standard
Redline Conquest being something other than 68mm or some other
down-a-rabbit hole problem. And then you rant and sputter and
pretend to be all knowing when someone corrects an obvious
mistake.Â* Why bother?

I have been riding the bike for a month in case you missed it.
Unlike you I do my own work, I my own mistakes and I do not try
to tell you that you weren't hit in the head by a tree branch in
the bike lane as your stupid alter ego did.

WTF, unlike me, you do your own work?Â* I could have removed and
reinstalled my UDi2 ten times before you got your system in. I've
been building my own wheels since 1976, cut the tubes for my
steel frames and did the finish work, but not the brazing --
although I did re-braze a couple of broken frames.Â* The only
thing I haven't done on my bikes is carbon repair, preferring to
leave that to experts -- conveniently located a few miles from my
house.
https://ruckuscomp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQ... AEgLA5fD_BwE

I dragged my Di2 RD cable into the cassette during a vigorous
wash in the wash stand and soldered the wires back together,
although I now have a replacement segment. I've managed to keep
my Di2 running, no fuss no muss.

That one thing alone shows a level of mindlessness inconceivable
to normal people

Not normal people on this NG. Yes, there are many tasks on a
modern bike that require new skills, like programming Di2 either
with eTube or on the bike.Â* I still have to follow the Shimano
instructions for setting trim and decipher the flashing lights,
but it doesn't take super-intelligence.Â* It's like fifteen
minutes of watching YouTube posts. You do have to pay attention
to generational changes and not buy things willy-nilly thinking
they're going to work. Carbon paste is a necessity, but you have
to know where to use that, too -- along with ordinary lubricants
and anti-seize.

-- Jay Beattie.

Why are you posting? You just show you know almost nothing about
what you're talking about and you think that your source of
valuable information is youTube rather than Shimano website.

If there is one thing that is really significant to Di2 it is your
ability to sand the ends of cut steel tubes.

You miter them with a file, actually (assuming no mill) -- and any
time you want, I will race you with the disassembly and assembly of
a modern Di2 bike -- and any crank/BB type, because I have all the
tools, BB30,86,90,PF30, ISIS (Truvativ, FSA tools), Octalink,
Shimano outboard (new and old cup standards), Praxisworks cup
tools, loose bearing (Campy tools) and even Phil Wood.Â* What a
spectacular waste of money! I'm going to start a road-side museum
of historical BB tools.

If you're so smart, what is the SKU number for that little internal
cable guide in the non-series RS685 shift levers (left). Ha! I knew
you wouldn't know. Ka-cha! I own two of them, making me the winner.

-- Jay Beattie.

How about I introduce you to any one of several builders that will
say that you only need to clean the saw cuts with emery cloth?

You will "race" me with assembly of Di2??? Again, there is a missing
cog in your cassette.

Andrew, you know very well that most frame builders pushed straight
ended tubes in until they are against the head tube slightly and then
brazed them. The stuff you showed (mandrel cut in a mill) usually is
very fine workmanship that is normally silver soldered high strength
steel which is triple butted.

While I admit that there are so few mass manufactured steel frames
anymore it would be hard to find examples of this, that used to be the
way. I did go through a machinist school back in high school where
they classified me with the dumb kids classes (non-college prep). I
also had to take fine woodworking entirely with hand tools. I still
have one of my drawers in the garage fill with planes and chisels etc.
I also had table saws and miter saws but damned if I know what
happened to them after I had my concussion. Probably sold them for a
song. One of my very good friends was the machinist for Keith
Bontrager so I used to hang around watching how they were built and
saw finely made bikes while they were made And they didn't need to
file the ends of the tubes. Carbide tipped mill bits do not leave
crappy cuts.

For that matter that is how they built the Colnago C40 - the lugs were
cast intoÂ* the head tube and then they pushed straight ended carbon
tubes into them.

You would be wrong about that. I take apart a fair number of frames from
diverse manufacturers across several eras on a regular basis.

Even Nottingham Raleighs are mitered like that and they're notorious for
shaving every sixpence[1] of expense thinner. I rebuilt a 1919 J I Case
mitered like that in cast iron lugs.

Name a steel frame with straight-cut tubes in a lug. (no counting Radac
frames, an exceptional exception)

[1]looks like a US dime

Did Huffys (real ones, not the rebadged pro builds of 1984) or AMF
Roadmasters ever have lugs? That's the example -if one exists - I would
expect, which rather proves your point.

Mark J.

Old April 2nd 20, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 4/1/2020 5:49 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 4/1/2020 12:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/1/2020 2:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 8:50:43 AM UTC-7, AMuzi
wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 11:44:02 AM UTC-7,
jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 11:07:10 AM UTC-7, Tom
Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 10:43:09 AM UTC-7,
jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 7:03:19 AM UTC-7, Tom
Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 10:00:34 AM UTC-7,
jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 7:21:07 AM UTC-7, Tom
Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 7:02:05 PM UTC-7,
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 29 March 2020 21:43:27 UTC-4, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 17:18:02 -0700 (PDT), Sir
Ridesalot
wrote:

On Sunday, 29 March 2020 20:02:22 UTC-4,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 10:13:10 PM
UTC-7, AnotherJim wrote:
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 7:07:19 PM
UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 07:43:58 -0700 (PDT),
Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 2:13:05
AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
Incredibly, in a thread headlined "Who
makes RBT slimy underfoot by drooling
at their own viciousness?" John B.
Slocomb is rolling around in his own
vicious drool:

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 10:43:29
PM UTC, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 09:55:32 -0700
(PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Now it is your memory that is failing
you.

No Tommy, it isn't. It is just you
telling lies again.

I'm still a bit undecided just why you
tell lies. Whether it is simply
because you are ignorant? Or maybe,
like your lord and master, the guy
with the blond comb-over, you lie to
inflate your ego, or perhaps is

--
cheers,

John B.

Not only that but he actually thinks
that I would read more than a sentence
out of his bull****. Normally I don't
read him at all except for the stuff
that people have quoted. He doesn't even
know that the military had changed to
the .308 when newer forms of faster
burning (more powerful) powder were
developed. He just keeps getting into it
deeper and deeper. A 30-06 has a bullet
diameter of .308".

Goodness Gracious! Are you really sure?
Can it be?

But of course the 30-06 has a bullet
diameter of .308 inches... But
then, the 20-40 Krag, which is properly
called the ".30 Army" used a
.308 bullet. Adopted by the U.S. Army in
1894, the first cartridge
adopted by the US Army that was
specifically designed for smokeless
powder.

Then we have the M1A1 carbine that had
a .308 bullet diameter, and
the 30-30, once a common "deer rifle",
and the .300 Savage, which my
father preferred, and the .300 Remington
Magnum and the 300 Remington
Short Action Magnum, and the 300
Weatherby Magnum, and, and, and.

There are at least 20 different
cartridges that all use a .308" bullet
diameter.

You ignorant oaf.
--
cheers,

John B.

I've read through this whole name-calling
exchange and there's at least one thing I
don't understand: what is RBT?

What you have unfortunately witnessed in
this group is the fact that those that know
bicycle mechanics generally have few
questions about it and most of those who
don't know bicycle technology prefer to
turn this group into a garbage pit of their
opinions.

:-) That was posted by the guy who required
a dozen posts and maybe two
weeks to install a bottom bracket. And I
won't even try to recall all
his confusion about Di2!

--
- Frank Krygowski

LOL! talks about the pot calling the kettle
black!

Cheers

I don't know what Sir is mis-remembering. Yes,
I did two bottom brackets
last week. No, unlike Tom, I didn't require
repeated questions here to
figure out how to do the job. I did the job,
then mentioned it afterward.

So far, I've had absolutely zero problems with
Di2. I have a foolproof
method for avoiding Di2 problems! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not mis-remembering anything. I was
referring to Tom not you.

Cheers

That must be because you're a complete Di2 genius
and knew from the first that there are three or
four different versions of the external battery
mount that all look exactly the same but are not
interchangeable.

There is certainly something really wrong with
people that do not have any answers but belittle
others who also don't. Until I went to a bike
shop that knew exactly where to get the Shimano
interchangeability parts list none of you
jackasses knew anything of value.

Why don't you tell us what the difference is
between the Shimano 7970 and the 9070?

Dude, don't make out like you're some genius.Â
What has it been, a month that you've been
struggling with assembling your Di2? Have you
even got it working yet? Frank -- or any
reasonably competent person -- could buy a Di2
component group and install it in a morning --
O.K., maybe longer for wire routing. It's not
rocket science. You make it hard by buying a lot
of mismatched crap second hand without checking
compatibility before buying it. It's like
shooting yourself in the leg and then
congratulating yourself on being an expert in
wound management.

And who cares about the f****** product numbers.Â
You just look them up on Google or the Shimano site.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, all it would have taken is for someone here to
even KNOW that there are different series of
components and they are not interchangeable and
that there were interchangeability charts on the
Shimano site if you know where to look. But none of
you nitwits knew that but had plenty of useless
advice on how stupid I am.

Don't blame us. All we do is talk about different
iterations of Shimano equipment all the way back to
the '70s.

Half your technical posts -- as sparse as they may
be -- involve impossible fact patterns, like your
bottom bracket on a standard Redline Conquest being
something other than 68mm or some other
down-a-rabbit hole problem. And then you rant and
sputter and pretend to be all knowing when someone
corrects an obvious mistake. Why bother?

I have been riding the bike for a month in case you
missed it. Unlike you I do my own work, I my own
mistakes and I do not try to tell you that you
weren't hit in the head by a tree branch in the
bike lane as your stupid alter ego did.

WTF, unlike me, you do your own work? I could have
removed and reinstalled my UDi2 ten times before you
got your system in. I've been building my own wheels
since 1976, cut the tubes for my steel frames and
did the finish work, but not the brazing -- although
I did re-braze a couple of broken frames. The only
thing I haven't done on my bikes is carbon repair,
preferring to leave that to experts -- conveniently
located a few miles from my house.
https://ruckuscomp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQ... AEgLA5fD_BwE

I dragged my Di2 RD cable into the cassette during a
vigorous wash in the wash stand and soldered the
wires back together, although I now have a
replacement segment. I've managed to keep my Di2
running, no fuss no muss.

That one thing alone shows a level of mindlessness
inconceivable to normal people

Not normal people on this NG. Yes, there are many
tasks on a modern bike that require new skills, like
programming Di2 either with eTube or on the bike.Â
I still have to follow the Shimano instructions for
setting trim and decipher the flashing lights, but
it doesn't take super-intelligence. It's like
fifteen minutes of watching YouTube posts. You do
have to pay attention to generational changes and
not buy things willy-nilly thinking they're going to
work. Carbon paste is a necessity, but you have to
know where to use that, too -- along with ordinary
lubricants and anti-seize.

-- Jay Beattie.

Why are you posting? You just show you know almost
nothing about what you're talking about and you think
that your source of valuable information is youTube
rather than Shimano website.

If there is one thing that is really significant to
Di2 it is your ability to sand the ends of cut steel
tubes.

You miter them with a file, actually (assuming no
mill) -- and any time you want, I will race you with
the disassembly and assembly of a modern Di2 bike --
and any crank/BB type, because I have all the tools,
BB30,86,90,PF30, ISIS (Truvativ, FSA tools), Octalink,
Shimano outboard (new and old cup standards),
Praxisworks cup tools, loose bearing (Campy tools) and
even Phil Wood. What a spectacular waste of money!
I'm going to start a road-side museum of historical BB
tools.

If you're so smart, what is the SKU number for that
little internal cable guide in the non-series RS685
shift levers (left). Ha! I knew you wouldn't know.
Ka-cha! I own two of them, making me the winner.

-- Jay Beattie.

How about I introduce you to any one of several
builders that will say that you only need to clean the
saw cuts with emery cloth?

You will "race" me with assembly of Di2??? Again, there
is a missing cog in your cassette.

Andrew, you know very well that most frame builders
pushed straight ended tubes in until they are against the
head tube slightly and then brazed them. The stuff you
showed (mandrel cut in a mill) usually is very fine
workmanship that is normally silver soldered high
strength steel which is triple butted.

While I admit that there are so few mass manufactured
steel frames anymore it would be hard to find examples of
this, that used to be the way. I did go through a
machinist school back in high school where they
classified me with the dumb kids classes (non-college
prep). I also had to take fine woodworking entirely with
hand tools. I still have one of my drawers in the garage
fill with planes and chisels etc. I also had table saws
and miter saws but damned if I know what happened to them
after I had my concussion. Probably sold them for a song.
One of my very good friends was the machinist for Keith
Bontrager so I used to hang around watching how they were
built and saw finely made bikes while they were made And
they didn't need to file the ends of the tubes. Carbide
tipped mill bits do not leave crappy cuts.

For that matter that is how they built the Colnago C40 -
the lugs were cast into the head tube and then they
pushed straight ended carbon tubes into them.

You would be wrong about that. I take apart a fair number
of frames from diverse manufacturers across several eras
on a regular basis.

Even Nottingham Raleighs are mitered like that and they're
notorious for shaving every sixpence[1] of expense
thinner. I rebuilt a 1919 J I Case mitered like that in
cast iron lugs.

Name a steel frame with straight-cut tubes in a lug. (no
counting Radac frames, an exceptional exception)

[1]looks like a US dime

Did Huffys (real ones, not the rebadged pro builds of 1984)
or AMF Roadmasters ever have lugs? That's the example -if
one exists - I would expect, which rather proves your point.

Mark J.

AMF Hercules and British built Huffy (back when the Huffmann
family ran the outfit) were similar to Nottingham Raleighs
in that regard and most other aspects- cheap, solid,
dependable basic frames. Low failure rate is a real benefit
to any established brand BTW.

American lugless Huffy are a different thing entirely.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/