Everybody is Out

Old March 23rd 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Everybody is Out

On Monday, 23 March 2020 13:19:06 UTC-4, Mark J. wrote:
On 3/22/2020 5:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:
It's the last beautiful day before we go into a streak of rain, and its nuts cutting through MUPs or parks. People seem to be outside a lot more during the COVID apocalypse -- so much so that the Governor has instructed people not to crowd into the parks.

I've got a headache and some SOB, but it could be allergies, and it didn't stop me from going out for a spin with a friend. Trek worked beautifully except for some GU goo on my left lever. First time in shorts and a jersey. The Campy transmission on my friend's 10 year old Pinarello is in a death spiral -- something about the RD is producing bad shifts. He believes that it will require an upgrade to 12 speed rather than some part for a 10sp Record derailleur. he gets pro deals, so it won't be that painful for him. Keep the economy strong!

-- Jay Beattie.

Take care of yourself, Jay. I've got allergies something fierce but no
"SOB" (had to look that one up - Shortness Of Breath).

I'm Zwifting indoors on my new Saris MP1 (I really don't get paid to
flog their stuff) and racking up the miles. But a little yardwork and
my sinuses swell up seemingly like balloons.

Watch for fever. The advice I've seen is that if you see COVID
symptoms, you should curtail vigorous exercise which might push it
deeper into your lungs, though I grant that's mostly speculative.

Mark J.

Apparently some people have caught this virus and NEVER had the fever.

There are so many conflicting reports even from the health experts that i's hard to know what's really going on.

Take care people and cheers
Old March 23rd 20, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 10:24:12 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

The only people they were testing were those showing symptoms so most of the "confirmed" cases were those showing serious symptoms. But a professor at the Stanford School of Medicine said that 80% of those infected show no or only very mild symptoms that are passed off as allergies.

If this is the case the actual fatality rates are two orders of magnitude lower. People under the age of 50 simply do not die from this illness without pre-existing serious health issues.

The Israeli minister of health has issued a warning that no one under the age of 60 should have any visitors over the age of 50. He is quite clear on it - that the only people dying from this is old people who catch it from young people. Following these principles Israel has had one death.
Old March 23rd 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 10:19:05 -0700, "Mark J."
wrote:

Watch for fever. The advice I've seen is that if you see COVID
symptoms, you should curtail vigorous exercise which might push it
deeper into your lungs, though I grant that's mostly speculative.
Mark J.

Also, watch out for loss of sense of smell and taste:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-symptoms-smell-taste.html
It's only in about 30% of confirmed cases, but it might be a useful
indicator.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 23rd 20, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

Watch for fever. The advice I've seen is that if you see COVID
symptoms, you should curtail vigorous exercise which might push it
deeper into your lungs, though I grant that's mostly speculative.
Mark J.

Also, watch out for loss of sense of smell and taste:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-symptoms-smell-taste.html
It's only in about 30% of confirmed cases, but it might be a useful
indicator.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Man's DNA makes everyone unique and generally symptoms very quite a bit from individual to individual.
Old March 23rd 20, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 08:59:17 -0700, sms
wrote:

Remember to think outside the box when buying stuff like bleach and
alcohol. Stores may be out of bleach but there is no shortage of pool
chlorine which is the same thing, just more highly concentrated. I
bought some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol at an electronics store, and it's
better to use the higher concentration because you can use more aloe
vera and it's less watery.

NO, NO, NO! Pool chlorine is HCl (Hydrochrloric Acid) and is not the
same as bleach NaClO (Sodium hypochlorite). These are very different
chemicals. If you wash your countertops or furniture with even dilute
HCl, you're going to wreck the finish, your hands, or both. Neither
of these is a suitable substitute for alcohol or ethenol in
electronics. I don't know where you found this wrong and dangerous
information, but I suggest you go back to the source and tell them its
wrong before someone gets hurt..

Old March 23rd 20, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Watch for fever. The advice I've seen is that if you see COVID
symptoms, you should curtail vigorous exercise which might push it
deeper into your lungs, though I grant that's mostly speculative.
Mark J.

Also, watch out for loss of sense of smell and taste:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-symptoms-smell-taste.html
It's only in about 30% of confirmed cases, but it might be a useful
indicator.

Man's DNA makes everyone unique and generally symptoms very quite a bit from individual to individual.

Very true. Here's a good video on the initial symptoms and some
numbers:

"What Coronavirus Symptoms Look Like, Day By Day"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOJqHPfG7pA

Old March 23rd 20, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

https://www.pooldone.com/bleach-vs-c...ts-difference/

"Both chlorine and bleach contain calcium hypochlorite chlorine , which are disinfecting materials. There is about 5.25% chlorine content in bleach, while the remaining percentage is water and salt to keep the bleach in a liquid state.

Whereas for chlorine, it contains calcium hypochlorite chlorine at around a 65% strength, made of solid instead of any other matter. Chlorine also contains more inert ingredients to add power into disinfecting pools."
https://www.compoundchem.com/2014/07...ning-products/

"Sodium hypochlorite is a solid white powder, but is more commonly used dissolved in water. Solutions of sodium hypochlorite are commonly referred to as bleach, although household bleach also contains small amounts of several other compounds, including sodium hydroxide and calcium hypochlorite. Sodium hypochlorite generally makes up 3-8% of the volume; dissolved in water, it has a strongly alkaline pH, which can irritate the skin. The idea of strong acids causing burns is common knowledge, but in fact, strong alkalis can be just as dangerous, and concentrated bleach is at a high enough pH to cause burns to the skin on contact.

Sodium hypochlorite dissolved in water also forms hypochlorous acid, HOCl, a weak acid but strong oxidising agent which is responsible for bleach’s bleaching effect. Hypochlorous acid can react with dyes in clothes, breaking bonds and preventing the molecule from absorbing visible light. It also has antimicrobial activity, as it can react with proteins and DNA of bacteria, as well as breaking down their cell membranes. A very low concentration of hypochlorous acid is required to achieve this effect.

You’re probably aware that it’s common advice not to mix household cleaning products, due to the potentially dangerous reactions that can take place. As an example, some toilet cleaners may contain hydrochloric acid. If these are mixed with bleach, it can react with sodium hypochlorite, and form toxic chlorine gas. Even mixing small amounts of these cleaners can result in the production of a volume of chlorine gas, a lung irritant, above safe levels. Ammonia containing cleaning products can also react with bleach to produce toxic chloroamines."

Be very careful using chemicals.

Cheers
Old March 23rd 20, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

Hydrochloric Acid Use in Home Pools
https://sensorex.com/blog/2019/09/17/hydrochloric-acid-home-pools/
Both bleach and hydrochloric acid are commonly referred to as "pool
chlorine". I'm not sure if bleach is a good replacement for alchohol
in hand sanitizer, but I'm very sure that hydrochloric acid is a
really bad idea for hand sanitizer.

Old March 23rd 20, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Oh, yes. Chemicals!
Like COOH and H2O and the dread O2, right? Killers all

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 23rd 20, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

HAH, HAH!

Actually, under the right conditions it can take very little H2o to kill a person. LOL

CHeers