Another upside of the pandemic

Old March 25th 20, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Another upside of the pandemic

So, it appears I lost my drivers license during my last trudge through the airport (pull it out, put it away, pull it out put it away -- shove it in a pocket -- lost. I'm amazed I haven't lost it before). I rode into work to pickup some papers and stopped by the DMV on the way home to get a replacement. Nobody there except two employees who let me in past the ropes with my wet bike. I filled out the paperwork in two minutes and had a new license five minutes later. Awesome. I then got drenched riding home, but if I got hit by a car, I had a swanky new temporary paper license indicating my desire to donate organs, such as they are.

I was wheezing on the way home, which could be allergies or COVID, who knows. I'm loading up the phone app respirator just in case . . . "Siri says breath now." I wonder if there is an O2 saturation app.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 25th 20, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 7:14:15 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

I was wheezing on the way home, which could be allergies or COVID, who knows.

-- Jay Beattie.

Just a wild guess, but it might be due to riding hard in the rain. And it is March, very early in the season so you are not in peak condition yet. Sometimes, sometimes, the true answer is sitting right there in front of your face.
Old March 26th 20, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 5:10:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/25/2020 6:12 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 7:14:15 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

I was wheezing on the way home, which could be allergies or COVID, who knows.

-- Jay Beattie.

Just a wild guess, but it might be due to riding hard in the rain. And it is March, very early in the season so you are not in peak condition yet.. Sometimes, sometimes, the true answer is sitting right there in front of your face.

I see no posts from Jay today. That and the wheezing make me nervous.
Keep us posted, Jay.

I haven't yet dropped dead, although I'm still a little SOB and more of a cough, probably from taking a speed run up into the hills between phone conferences.

I'm buried in work. The pandemic has federal and state regulators working overtime, and me and my clients scrambling to keep up with the regulations. IMO, some of the regulations mandating insurance, prohibiting cancellation, giving premium holidays have to violate the Contracts Clause, but I leave that to the governmental relations guys to work out.

I hate, hate, hate working from home. You have to find time to ride rather than commuting -- and sitting around the house drives me crazy. I like being in the hubbub downtown and my food carts, coffee shops, having an assistant, workmates, trudging to court, etc. Maybe if my home office were up and running with all my work stuff it would be better, but still no assistant (formerly known as a secretary). My secretary has been with me for decades. She is a non-practicing California lawyer. She just makes things happen -- no fuss, no muss, nothing missed. I have great associates to do stuff, and it's hard to connect remotely. Waaaah.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 26th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 9:09:24 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 5:10:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I see no posts from Jay today. That and the wheezing make me nervous.
Keep us posted, Jay.

I haven't yet dropped dead, although I'm still a little SOB and more of a cough, probably from taking a speed run up into the hills between phone conferences.

Seems like this might be a good time to take a rest from training.

I hate, hate, hate working from home. You have to find time to ride rather than commuting...

That hit me when I retired. Who would think riding would be a benefit
of working for a living?

- Frank Krygowski

Old March 26th 20, 08:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 22:58:40 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 9:09:24 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 5:10:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I see no posts from Jay today. That and the wheezing make me nervous.
Keep us posted, Jay.

I haven't yet dropped dead, although I'm still a little SOB and more of a cough, probably from taking a speed run up into the hills between phone conferences.

Seems like this might be a good time to take a rest from training.

I hate, hate, hate working from home. You have to find time to ride rather than commuting...

That hit me when I retired. Who would think riding would be a benefit
of working for a living?

- Frank Krygowski

Experts are saying that exercise is good but not to overdo it as it extreme or hard exercise often weakens the immune system for a while.

I hope you get over whatever you have there Jay.

Cheers
Old March 26th 20, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On 3/25/2020 6:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

We've always known that you were an SOB. No need to remind us. The three treatments being tried seem to be very effective so call your doctor and discuss it with him rather than wait for it to possibly turn out to be the real thing with the more violent symptoms.
Old March 26th 20, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 12:16:59 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'm probably fine. I'm not training for anything, but I had exactly 50 minutes to get in a ride before a conference and before it started raining -- according to the weirdly precise pin-point forecast. I have a commute substitute up into the West Hills, and I hit it a little too hard for fear of being late. Any worthwhile short ride around here is up.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 26th 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 3/25/2020 6:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

News from the front on treatment: my accounting supervisor's uncle just died of COVID-19 respiratory failure, and one of our paralegals father-in-law is on a respirator. The hits just keep on coming.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 28th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 15:44:51 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

News from the front on treatment: my accounting supervisor's uncle
just died of COVID-19 respiratory failure, and one of our paralegals
father-in-law is on a respirator. The hits just keep on coming.

Man. So sorry to hear that, and it is going to be an all too familiar
tale for many families over the next couple of years (or until effective
management/treatment strategies and/or a vaccine is available).