Bike Shops to remain open

Old March 25th 20, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Default Bike Shops to remain open

During this Coronavirus crisis bicycles are an easy way to get
exercise outdoors while social distancing correctly. Cycling enables
you to travel without using public transport, and in relative
isolation. Moreover, with all this motor traffic now off the road
cycling has never been safer.

The good news is that bicycle shops are remaining open so that key
workers, and the rest of us, are able to purchase a bike or get our
own bike repaired.

In light of the present crisis we are all facing, I hope some of you
posters on this newsgroup who haven't previously had a good word to
say for cycling will stop and reconsider your views on the subject.
It's obvious that Boris and our government recognise the importance of
cycling - if you missed out on toilet rolls, don't miss out on your
lycra gear as well.
Old March 25th 20, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 2:55:44 PM UTC, Kelly wrote:
During this Coronavirus crisis bicycles are an easy way to get
exercise outdoors while social distancing correctly. Cycling enables
you to travel without using public transport, and in relative
isolation. Moreover, with all this motor traffic now off the road
cycling has never been safer.

The good news is that bicycle shops are remaining open so that key
workers, and the rest of us, are able to purchase a bike or get our
own bike repaired.

Halfords to reopen branches as bike shops given 'essential' status.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ce-coronavirus

Old March 25th 20, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 03:20, Simon Mason wrote:

Halfords to reopen branches as bike shops given 'essential' status.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ce-coronavirus

A lot of people still need to make essential journeys, including those
commuting to work, and public transport (even if it hasn't been
discontinued or reduced) can no longer be considered safe. So it's not
surprising to learn that bicycle mechanics and repair workshops are
already recording a rise in demand for services during this
Coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown
Old March 25th 20, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 25/03/2020 16:09, Kelly wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 03:20, Simon Mason wrote:

Halfords to reopen branches as bike shops given 'essential' status.

A lot of people still need to make essential journeys, including those
commuting to work, and public transport (even if it hasn't been
discontinued or reduced) can no longer be considered safe. So it's not
surprising to learn that bicycle mechanics and repair workshops are
already recording a rise in demand for services during this
Coronavirus outbreak.

Given the (bleedin' obvious) lack of safety on public transport, it is
cheering that the London "Congestion" charge and ULEZ charge have
sensibly been suspended. There's £24 a day that essential London workers
can save straightaway and travel in relative safety.

The rules on parking in Central and Inner London also need to be relaxed
in the present situation. We all know that much of the yellow lines
scheme is only in place to deliberately and peevishly deny kerbside
parking to travellers even where it would not necessarily cause
congestion or obstruction.
Old March 25th 20, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 16:30, JNugent wrote:

On 25/03/2020 16:09, Kelly wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 03:20, Simon Mason wrote:

Halfords to reopen branches as bike shops given 'essential' status.

A lot of people still need to make essential journeys, including those
commuting to work, and public transport (even if it hasn't been
discontinued or reduced) can no longer be considered safe. So it's not
surprising to learn that bicycle mechanics and repair workshops are
already recording a rise in demand for services during this
Coronavirus outbreak.

Given the (bleedin' obvious) lack of safety on public transport, it is
cheering that the London "Congestion" charge and ULEZ charge have
sensibly been suspended. There's A?24 a day that essential London workers
can save straightaway and travel in relative safety.

I was quite taken aback when those charges were suspended - I'm afraid
the whole seriousness of this situation took a while to hit me. Both
serious and surreal, it's like living in a disaster movie.

The rules on parking in Central and Inner London also need to be relaxed
in the present situation. We all know that much of the yellow lines
scheme is only in place to deliberately and peevishly deny kerbside
parking to travellers even where it would not necessarily cause
congestion or obstruction.

I agree with all your comments above. London's critical workforce is,
of course, far wider than just the three main emergency services. All
these people, plus loads of other individuals on essential business,
need to travel (and park when necessary) to keep their own lives and
the city functioning. Take out public transport and compensatory
measures have to be taken to ensure private car use is made easier.
Old March 25th 20, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 4:09:04 PM UTC, Kelly wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 03:20, Simon Mason wrote:

Halfords to reopen branches as bike shops given 'essential' status.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ce-coronavirus

A lot of people still need to make essential journeys, including those
commuting to work, and public transport (even if it hasn't been
discontinued or reduced) can no longer be considered safe. So it's not
surprising to learn that bicycle mechanics and repair workshops are
already recording a rise in demand for services during this
Coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown

It will likely see a cycling boom in big cities like London where driving a car is barely faster than walking. Boris's bike lanes will come into their own for sure.
Old March 25th 20, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 25/03/2020 14:55, Kelly wrote:
During this Coronavirus crisis bicycles are an easy way to get
exercise outdoors while social distancing correctly. Cycling enables
you to travel without using public transport, and in relative
isolation. Moreover, with all this motor traffic now off the road
cycling has never been safer.

The good news is that bicycle shops are remaining open so that key
workers, and the rest of us, are able to purchase a bike or get our
own bike repaired.

In light of the present crisis we are all facing, I hope some of you
posters on this newsgroup who haven't previously had a good word to
say for cycling will stop and reconsider your views on the subject.
It's obvious that Boris and our government recognise the importance of
cycling - if you missed out on toilet rolls, don't miss out on your
lycra gear as well.

Halfords is to close down all its cycle republic shops permanently.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...tores-17930577
Old March 25th 20, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 2:55:44 PM UTC, Kelly wrote:
say for cycling will stop and reconsider your views on the subject.
It's obvious that Boris and our government recognise the importance of
cycling - if you missed out on toilet rolls, don't miss out on your
lycra gear as well.

I got my cycling clothing on e-bay and Wiggle.
Old March 25th 20, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 18:51, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 4:09:04 PM UTC, Kelly wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 03:20, Simon Mason wrote:

Halfords to reopen branches as bike shops given 'essential' status.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ce-coronavirus

A lot of people still need to make essential journeys, including those
commuting to work, and public transport (even if it hasn't been
discontinued or reduced) can no longer be considered safe. So it's not
surprising to learn that bicycle mechanics and repair workshops are
already recording a rise in demand for services during this
Coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown

It will likely see a cycling boom in big cities like London where driving a car is barely faster than walking. Boris's bike lanes will come into their own for sure.

Well, it's horses for courses, isn't it? It's great to be able to
chose which to use, car or bike. I wouldn't like to have to do without
either - and so far, so good... I'm hanging on to both.
Old March 25th 20, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 20:19, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 2:55:44 PM UTC, Kelly wrote:
It's obvious that Boris and our government recognise the importance of
cycling - if you missed out on toilet rolls, don't miss out on your
lycra gear as well.

I got my cycling clothing on e-bay and Wiggle.

I've ordered from both those, you get keener prices online, don't you?
Ideally, though, I like to try on clothing before deciding to buy or
not. I notice JD Sports wanted to keep their shops open (they have two
branches not far from me) but the government insisted they were
non-essential and so they've had to close. Still, they're open online,
along with the loads of other places.

why are there too many bike shops? datakoll Techniques 17 October 28th 07 12:22 PM
Bike Shops vs Shops w/Bikes JD Mountain Biking 19 November 9th 06 03:34 AM
Bike shops open? essendon93 Australia 7 January 5th 05 09:36 AM
Bike shops johngrass Australia 2 July 19th 04 09:49 PM
Bike shops in UK Colin Marshall UK 6 January 26th 04 08:54 AM