State your opinion on COVID-19

Old March 28th 20, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default State your opinion on COVID-19

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 13:23:45 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Saturday, 28 March 2020 15:34:25 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2020 2:18 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 3/28/2020 10:09 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2020 11:01 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

As usual, discussions here have devolved into childish name
calling by some, demeaning published facts and data, quick
political jabs, defensive changes of subjet, and "I know
better than anyone" allusions. Things get obscured.

So I'd like to get a direct answer, especially from Tom and
from Andrew.

Tom: Do you really think COVID-19 is no worse than an
ordinary seasonal flu?

Andrew: Do you really think COVID-19 is no worse than an
ordinary seasonal flu?

Of course, this is a discussion group. Others are very
welcome to give their opinion too.

BTW, our bike club now has its first member in intensive
care on a ventilator. I consider him a really good friend,
one of the guys who (almost) always came on my night rides.
He's much younger than me and has been a hell of a rider, a
daily commuter, fast and high mileage.

Up to here, yes. Death is not trivial to the fatality
himself, but the numbers haven't supported panic so far.

I will change my opinion when/if the numbers change [...]

Sadly, give it a week or two. Cases are roughly quadrupling
each week in the US [based on CDC reports]. Exponential
growth doesn't catch the public eye when the absolute
numbers are low, but those low numbers don't last long.

We are solidly on track to eclipse the "regular-flu" numbers.

Mark J.

but having known
people who died of pneumonia from influenza, my point was
merely that it's the same death (and an unpleasant one at
that) to fewer people.

see also:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/images/about...nza-burden.png

If influenza were unknown until this year, people would
freak out at forty million infected and 50,000 Americans
dead.

If you want to do something useful and patriotic, do
something about the even larger number of Americans who
die annually by _hospital acquired infection_. That
number is not getting smaller year over year- it's growing.

Another danger is a mental incapacity caused by a political
correctness infestation. From WMAL today:

https://www.wmal.com/news/yes-we-lon...uldnt-anymore/

Headline:
"Yes, we long have referred to disease outbreaks by
geographic places. Here’s why we shouldn’t anymore"

Main argument worthy of a failing grade in a high school
logic class:
"During the 2003 SARS outbreak, media coverage of the
disease led to the stigmatization of Asian communities in
countries such as Canada. It devastated Chinese-owned
businesses, especially those located in Chinatowns."

I looked for SARS on a map. Couldn't find it.

Perhaps in time all this will pass, just as we no longer use
"the French disease".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I used to live in Toronto, Canada in the Broadview & Dundas/Broadview & Gerrard area. It became know as Chinatown #2 or East Chinatown. The Chinese took over the transit shelters and set up shop in them and sold all sorts of stuff including live ducks. The offal and the stench were something that has to experienced to be believed. In summer on the weekends you couldn't keep a window open even though you lived a few blocks away from the main street. The illegal shops were so prevalent and sprawling on the sidewalks that in many cases pedestrians had to venture out onto the roadway in order to get past them. Having experienced that, I don't wonder that diseases spread so quickly.

Cheers

Must be some shortcoming in your village/town/city ordnances as there
have been "wet markets"in all of the Asian countries where I have
lived and they are cleaned every afternoon after the market closes. No
unusual smells at all. A stall user who neglected to clean his area
would be refused space the next day and ostracized by the other users.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 28th 20, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 12:18:01 -0700, "Mark J."
wrote:

[...]

As of this morning you lead the list in both total number of cases and
new cases with 120,529 total and 16,403 new. In fact your new cases
outnumbers the total cases of all but eight other countries in the
world.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 28th 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 09:45:07 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Saturday, 28 March 2020 12:01:47 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I think that this COVID-19 virus is a lot more serious than governments are letting on. I also think that the various governments have really dropped the ball by allow people to come back into the country and then relying on those people to self quarantine for 14 days. We've seen how well that's worked with people already in the country going out and about as if everything is normal even though they should be in quarantine.

I remember reading many years ago that experts in diseases were saying that the next pandemic was only an airplane flight away. Well folks, looks like they were right and that the pandemic is here.

Look after yourselves and the best of luck in avoiding becoming a bad statistic.

Cheers

Thailand has imposed some pretty draconian regulations to fight the
virus and while I'm not sure whether it is a viable calculation their
new cases number is 8% of total cases. The U.S. with apparently fewer
restrictions has a new case total of about 14% of the total cases. At
this rate the U.S. will exceed 200,000 cases in about 4 more days :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 29th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 3/28/2020 5:20 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2020 3:32 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 12:18:08 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Sadly, give it a week or two.Â* Cases are roughly quadrupling each week
in the US [based on CDC reports].Â* Exponential growth doesn't catch the
public eye when the absolute numbers are low, but those low numbers
don't last long.

We are solidly on track to eclipse the "regular-flu" numbers.

Mark J.

Plus, the whole idea with these Draconian measures is to limit the
damage.Â* If we don't have the damage, that means the measures were
successful and not that the measures were unnecessary -- unless
there is data indicating that the whole thing is a hoax or that the
expected infection/mortality rates without treatment were
miscalculated.Â* What we need is a clinical trial. No masks, social
distancing, closed business, extra ventilators, etc.,for some big
city. Party on! Then lock-down another big city and fill it with
medical equipment and hand sanitizer and then check the mortality
rates in six months. Control for temperature and region.Â* Obvious
choice would be Huston and Dallas or maybe Minneapolis and
St. Paul. Nobody could switch cities.

I'm very pleased to have bought a bag of rice today at the local
Safeway.Â* It was the last one on the shelf -- a lone bag of Thai
jasmine rice.Â* No plain old rice. Lots of produce and other good
stuff.Â* The horders are really into rice, beans and toilet paper --
which makes a great high-fiber casserole.Â* Tons of people were out
walking around. We had this little pedestrian traffic jam on one of
our neighborhood walks with everyone trying to sort-out how to
maintain social distancing.

-- Jay Beattie.

I don't know but I suppose some of you survivors will think of us
when it's over.

Does the "us" in that sentence refer to people who are refusing
recommended health strategies?

It might be good to know who here is still engaging in close contact
with lots of the general public, attending parties, dating lots of new
partners, visiting sick relatives, never washing hands, licking
doorknobs, whatever.

You know, vs. who is doing what most medical experts say we
should. Maybe we can do our own mini-study. Check back six months from
now and see how everyone's doing.

We have one friend with whom we shared a six-foot-separated
picnic. She has no symptoms, but she had to take off her mask to
eat. Other friends (we've seen a dozen, max) have been almost as
careful, but no masks.

A dozen since the Ohio "shelter in place" order? Honestly that seems
like a large number to me. Our social life is pretty much all remote
now, aside from two or three chance meetings.
Old March 29th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

die annually by _hospital acquired infection_.Ă‚ That
number is not getting smaller year over year- it's growing.

Another danger is a mental incapacity caused by a political
correctness infestation. From WMAL today:

https://www.wmal.com/news/yes-we-lon...uldnt-anymore/

Headline:
"Yes, we long have referred to disease outbreaks by
geographic places. Here’s why we shouldn’t anymore"

Main argument worthy of a failing grade in a high school
logic class:
"During the 2003 SARS outbreak, media coverage of the
disease led to the stigmatization of Asian communities in
countries such as Canada. It devastated Chinese-owned
businesses, especially those located in Chinatowns."

I looked for SARS on a map. Couldn't find it.

Perhaps in time all this will pass, just as we no longer use
"the French disease".

Or “the Spanish Flu”, named after the one country that had the balls to
admit it existed.

Old March 29th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

My wife and I have been in self-imposed lockdown for around two weeks now.
We only go out for groceries. It wasn’t too much of a leap, since I’m
retired and doing a minimal amount of contract work from home (although I
did lose an interesting contract which might have required travel to
Kentucky). Our only real source of exposure is our daughter, who lives
with us and works in a grocery store.

Old March 29th 20, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/28/2020 7:15 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

We have one friend with whom we shared a six-foot-separated
picnic. She has no symptoms, but she had to take off her mask to
eat. Other friends (we've seen a dozen, max) have been almost as
careful, but no masks.

A dozen since the Ohio "shelter in place" order? Honestly that seems
like a large number to me. Our social life is pretty much all remote
now, aside from two or three chance meetings.

About half of those were on March 17, before the official order, but
even then we were being very careful. At that time, they had said "6
feet minimum" and (I think) "no more than 10 in a group."

Since then, the friends we've seen have all been outdoors, on
well-separated hikes, walks or bike rides. And since then, we've been to
only one grocery, one deli for takeout, and one pharmacy.

BTW, the pharmacy (a block from our house) was closed for several days
for "deep cleaning." Apparently one or two employees tested positive. I
was in there today to get a prescription, and all the old staff had been
temporarily replaced. They're all in self quarantine.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 29th 20, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 4:56:32 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I blew off a ride today to go on a walk with my wife. We saw lots of people and passed some within feet. We stopped at the Safeway and even stopped at a coffee shop in Multnomah Village, although you can't go inside. They were set up at the door -- bought some beans for home espresso. https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1901/...4b285de2_b.jpg There's a second coffee shop in town that was open as well -- but not the Blue Star Donuts (mega-expensive curated donuts) or the collection of other eateries. The weed shop was open, of course.

When I say "Multnomah Village," I feel like I'm with Frank, back in Ohi-oh. It even has a visitor's guide, which is impressive for a wide spot in the road. https://tinyurl.com/vmoofse We usually walk the urban trails rather than the neighborhoods, but the 'hoods are fun now and then.

We did a Costco run and bought some lawn fertilizer, so I spread that -- but its too wet for weeding. They have a plexi-glass sneeze screen at the check-out stand at Costco -- and weird new rituals for handing your membership card and purchases. I did some law work. Put a different saddle on my Synapse. I thought about doing my taxes. Still thinking.

The only thing that differentiated today from any other under-productive Saturday was the pervasive sense of dread and the obviously changed behavior of others. I feel like I'm jet-lagged after coming home from a funeral. I totally understand wanting this to be over. I've got a ride scheduled tomorrow with my nextdoor neighbor and best riding buddy, which will be fun -- unless he hits the gas. I'm still SOB, but probably from allergies. Who knows, though, I COULD BE NEXT! [insert "The Scream" emoji].

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 29th 20, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Ralph Barone writes:

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

You oversimplify -- Spain was neutral during the Great War, so their
press remained freer than that of combatant nations. "In war, the first
casualty is the truth".
Old March 29th 20, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

I read about "cleaning" and I understand that virus are not living, in
the sense of other creatures and I have also read that a dead body is
not capable of transmitting a viral disease, but how long does a
virus, or perhaps more accurately a virion, remain viable and able to
infect another creature if it is outside a living body. Or in simple
terms if a virion falls on the floor how long can it lay there and
still be capable of causing a disease?
--
cheers,

John B.

Who or what can beat COVID-19? Move into your sauna! Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 19 March 22nd 20 11:06 PM
Riding in the Age of COVID-19. jbeattie Techniques 26 March 18th 20 11:20 PM
your opinion birkes Mountain Biking 3 June 9th 06 11:50 PM
Your opinion silverfridge Unicycling 7 January 21st 06 03:57 AM
Your opinion on this Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 3 August 29th 04 10:08 PM