Cleat Positioning.

Old July 15th 03, 01:05 PM
None

Default Cleat Positioning.

By the ball of the foot, you refer to the First Metatarsel head. Actually,
a good starting point is halfway between a line drawn perpendicularly
(across the shoe) through the first metatarsel head (find the center of the
joint or knuckle) and a line drawn perpendicularly through the center of
fifth metatarsel head (the knucke of the small toe). With your shoes on,
use a pen to place marks on the shoes at the appropriate spots, then use a
straight edge to mark the sole of the shoe. Split the difference.
Depending on pedal technique, you can move the cleat from there slightly
forward or aft (in small degrees).

Keep in mind that it is normal for your feet to be different lengths and
sizes, and it is unlikely that, if set up correctly, your cleats will be in
exactly the same position relative to each other.

If your knees are bothering you, saddle height and fore/aft position may
also be a problem.

"asqui" wrote in message

I bought a new touring bike around 6 weeks ago and got the shop to do the
whole fitting shindig, including cleat alignment. I haven't had any major
problems so I guess things must be pretty good.

My question is about the cleat positioning. If I recall correctly the
procedure used to mount the cleats was as follows:
I placed my bare feet on a plexiglas platform with a rectangular cut-out,
with my heels against an adjustable backplate.
The plate was adjusted such that the balls of my feet were exactly aligned
with the bottom edge of the cut-out.
I put on the shoes and placed my feet once more on the platform, and a

mark
was scribed on the bottom of the shoe. (Using the bottom of the cut-out as

straightedge)

The cleats were later mounted such that the bolts were centred at this

mark.

As far as I can tell no rotational adjustment was made at any stage, and

the
cleats are simply pointing dead ahead. Fortunately this seems to be just
fine with my feet. (I can't actually see how such adjustment would even be
possible -- I'm using Shimano MO37 shoes and the black cleats that came

with
the PD-M515 pedals)

My question is thus, and I'm not really sure why it took this long for me

realise this:
If the backplate was adjusted to have the ball of my (bare) foot at the

edge
of the cut-out, then with the shoes on and up against the backplate in the
same position, the balls of my feet would be forward of the edge of the
cut-out they were previously aligned with. (because the backplate was
adjusted with my heel directly against the backplate, whereas now there is
the back of the shoe between my heel and the backplate)

I therefore draw the conclusion that the cleats are positioned behind the
ball of my foot.

I've been thinking more about this since I got a bit of a sore knee about

week ago, though I'm pretty confident that it was just the result of going
too hard for too long -- I had a 40mi route planned and set out going

quite
hard... by the time I had demonstrated exceptional navigational skills by
getting on the B4009 in the wrong direction and pounding away for about 10
or 15 miles before noticing, the ride became a 65 miler instead. The sore
knee went away within a couple of days and only traces of soreness were
apparent after 55miles on Sunday. Apart from that I have had no problems
with my knees (or anything else!) and I've done about 500mi on the bike.

In yesterday's ride I felt like the right cleat was so far back that I
thought it might have actually loosened and slid back to the furthest
position. I stopped and inspected the shoe to see that the cleat was still
aligned with the mark, but on closer inspection just now I see that the
right cleat is about 1mm behind the left!

I can't adjust them easily because there is a waterproofing sticker on the
inside of the shoe which is holding the plate in position, so I will have

sacrifice my waterproofing if/when I start playing with the cleat
positioning.

Thanks in advance,
asqui.

Old July 15th 03, 04:49 PM
AndresMuro

Having your cleat at exactly at the ball of the foot will give the feeling of
more power. However, in my experience and that of many other riders, you'll
develop foot pain and numbness. I recommend people to place the cleats slightly
behind. To feel the ball of the foot, I tell people to stand on their toes. The
fleshy part right behind the toes that feels all the pressure would be a line
that runs through the ball of the foot. Try to place your cleat behind that
line, but not too far back that you will be pushing with you arch.

Andres
Old July 15th 03, 04:55 PM
Bruce Gilbert

I do a lot of fittings for team racers. Here is a technique that we have
come up with over the years to find the right spot on the metatarsal bone
for positioning the cleat. We use a very small ball bearing held in place
with a piece of duct tape. You simply feel for the bearing through the shoe
and that is it.

Bruce

rthlink.net...

Old July 15th 03, 10:36 PM
None

I find that when the cleat is further back on the shoe, you engage the quads
and glutes more, and therefore generate more power. A cleat forward
position may be better for higher cadence pedaling. I believe that too many
people line up the cleat at "ball of the foot," or first metarsel, and
therefore end up with a cleat too far forward on the shoe. If you split the
difference between the 1st and 5th metatarsel heads, you end up with a cleat
about 2-3 mms or so behind the ball of the foot, and thissems to work best
for most people.

Old July 15th 03, 10:50 PM
Alex Rodriguez

rec.bicycles.tech would be the more appropriate group for your question.
Alex __O
_-\,_
(_)/ (_)

Cleat spacing Cat Dailey General 32 June 7th 04 01:35 PM
cleat screws Baelwulfe Mountain Biking 11 June 3rd 04 11:29 PM
Unusual shoe cleat position Pat Fleming General 8 November 23rd 03 01:23 AM
recessed vs non-recessed cleat on clipless pedal shoes mark watkins General 17 September 16th 03 02:46 AM