Why the jersey colours?

Old July 15th 03, 04:14 PM
Lantern Rouge

Default Why the jersey colours?

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:46:28 +0000, Lantern Rouge wrote:

With my newsreader, the previous post I made in this thread appears badly mangled.

I really apologize if it has gone out to the NewsGroup generally in that state.

It happened with a previous posting I made a week or so ago and I'm trying to determine the reason.

Old July 15th 03, 04:36 PM
Lantern Rouge

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:11:36 +0800, g wrote:

Lantern Rouge wrote:

As an interesting aside, almost every time the Tour visits Marseille,
something goes wrong.

How about trying to chronicle a few Marseille Disasters (apart from the
one mentioned here)

Stuart O'Grady was mugged there..

GK

Good one.

I hadn't thought of that one though!!
Old July 15th 03, 08:41 PM
Joe Hurley

I believe that all the jerseys have the colors they have because of
the companies that sponsor the jerseys.

Yellow jersey: Sponsored by Credit Lyonnais, if you go to their
website, http://www.creditlyonnais.com, you will see that their logo
is yellow, like the color of a lion. (Since they're from the city of
Lyon, which Anglicized becomes lion.)

Green jersey: sponsored by PMU, Pari-Mutuel Urbain, the French
equivalent of off-track betting. Again, if you go to their website,
you will see that the predominant color of their logo is green.

Polka-dot jersey: sponsored by Champion Supermarche, a holding
company for a number of supermarket and minimart chains in France,
including Carrefour and Marche Plus. And if you look at their website
(www.champion.fr), you'll again find that they have red polka-dots on
many of their products; in fact they have a teddy bear wearing a white
shirt with red polka dots (sound familiar?).

White jersey: sponsored by Aquarel, a spring water bottled by Nestle.
If you go to their website (www.nestle-aquarel.com), you will note
that the bottle has a white label.

It's all about brand equity -- getting people to associate colors with
products or the companies that sell them. e.g. what do you think of
when someone says "Big blue"? IBM. I bet if you had a bicycle race
in this country sponsored by IBM you'd find the leader wearing a blue
jersey! In fact, in the Giro d'Italia, the reason it's a pink jersey
is that it is sponsored by La Gazzetta dello Sport, which prints on,
you guessed it, pink paper.

Hope this answers the question!

Regards,

Joe Hurley

"Andrew Swan" a écrit dans le message de
Can anyone tell me why the green, white, and polka-dot jerseys are
coloured that way? Is there an historical reason, like there is for the
yellow jersey?

TIA,

&roo

Old July 15th 03, 10:03 PM
benjo maso

"Joe Hurley" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Because the colours of the jerseys had been decided far before Credit
Lyonnais, PMU, Champion and Aquarel were in the picture, it's imposisble
that the colours of those componies have played any role - that is if we're
upholding the traditional chronology of cause and effect.

Benjo Maso

Old July 16th 03, 12:08 AM
KI7WX

Actually it is because a previous jersey sponsor was Banania and bananas are
yellow :-)

MC
Old July 16th 03, 03:26 AM
Nick Burns

"benjo maso" wrote in message

snip
Because the colours of the jerseys had been decided far before Credit
Lyonnais, PMU, Champion and Aquarel were in the picture, it's imposisble
that the colours of those componies have played any role - that is if

we're
upholding the traditional chronology of cause and effect.

Benjo Maso

Right. So go back to the original sponsor for each jersey. Here is a web
page that may or may not be accurate. It says that green was (in this case)
chosen by the Tour org. Apparently is was red one year at the request of the
sponsor. I also recall a red "hot spots" jersey sponsored by "Catch" (insect
exterminators).

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccb...eddy/green.htm

The KOM jersey is different in that the classification has been around a lot
longer than the "pois" pattern.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccb...y/polkadot.htm

These pages have links to cover all of the jerseys except for the red Catch
jersey and the "combine" jersey which was brought in (IIRC) so that Toshiba
could sponsor a jersey. The red, white and combine jerseys were all tossed a
bit over 10 years ago but the white was brought back in memory of Fabio
Casartelli.

Old July 16th 03, 05:45 AM
David Ryan

Do you think riders would object to Black Label beer or Black Flag
bug spray? How about Clearasil? skinsuits... hmmm

Jersey etiquette cheg General 46 July 3rd 04 07:38 PM
WTB Polish Postal Team Jersey Peter General 2 April 25th 04 02:22 PM
Phonak jersey? Perry Sailor General 3 February 27th 04 08:42 PM
Jersey Question? F1 General 13 July 28th 03 12:52 AM
Alternate USPS Jersey? brian roth Racing 3 July 12th 03 09:09 PM