'Mr Loophole' says children shouldn't be allowed to cycle on the road

Old August 8th 20, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default 'Mr Loophole' says children shouldn't be allowed to cycle on the road

What a sad man he is.
QUOTE:
When asked about privacy issues regarding the identification of people on bikes - as opposed to the identification of vehicles rather than motorists when it comes to cars - Freeman claimed that there needs to be a debate over "the age young children are in fact safe to ride on the roads."

He continued: "I think below a certain age they would have to be accompanied by a responsible adult who has passed a proficiency test."

A spokesperson for Cycling UK told road.cc: "What a cruel world that would be if kids could only ride with adults! Yet again we see the real risk ignored, which is the danger motor traffic can present."

Freeman agreed that motorists are "the greatest risk" on the roads, but insisted they are accountable: "If a motorist commits an offence and goes through, for example, a red light, the registered keeper receives a section 172 notice. If he doesn't comply with that he'll be prosecuted for failing to give the information, he'll in fact receive 6 penalty points or disqualification upon conviction. His insurance premiums will rocket.

"I don't object to a similar system for cyclists, but I think it would just logistically work more sensibly if we identified the cyclists rather than the bike."

We're not sure if Mr Freeman has tried to report a motorist running a red light to the authorities recently, but we'd hazard a guess that it probably won't result in six penalty points for the driver based on your testimony alone...

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling...st-2020-276261
Old August 8th 20, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 08/08/2020 11:17, Simon Mason wrote:

What a sad man he is.

His only thought is about whether any measures would allow him to buy a
bigger yacht.

QUOTE:
"I don't object to a similar system for cyclists, but I think it
would just logistically work more sensibly if we identified the
cyclists rather than the bike."

Well, he is permitted to fly a kite.

We're not sure if Mr Freeman has tried to report a motorist running a
red light to the authorities recently, but we'd hazard a guess that
it probably won't result in six penalty points for the driver based
on your testimony alone...

The system would overwhelmed if it worked like that. (Ah yes, about that
yacht.)

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling...st-2020-276261

Old August 8th 20, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 08/08/2020 11:17, Simon Mason wrote:

What a sad man he is.
QUOTE:
When asked about privacy issues regarding the identification of people on bikes - as opposed to the identification of vehicles rather than motorists when it comes to cars - Freeman claimed that there needs to be a debate over "the age young children are in fact safe to ride on the roads."

That sounds exceptionally sensible.

Would, for instance, anyone sane accept that a two-and-a-half-year old
would be safe on a bike - or even a trike - on a busy road?

He continued: "I think below a certain age they would have to be accompanied by a responsible adult who has passed a proficiency test."

That too sounds exceptionally sensible.

A spokesperson for Cycling UK told road.cc: "What a cruel world that would be if kids could only ride with adults! Yet again we see the real risk ignored, which is the danger motor traffic can present."

What a stupid, irrelevant, response. This "spokesperson for Cycling UK"
clearly has no concern for child safety. perhaps he / she sees a few
human sacrifices as worth it in order to make a "point".

[...]

Cycling UK reminds us of their sheer imbecility when they insist that
young children are all sufficiently skilled to ride bicycles in traffic.

Letting a young child out unsupervised, untrained and unskilled on a
bike on the highway network is one form of child abuse (or neglect).
Old August 8th 20, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 11:54:42 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/08/2020 11:17, Simon Mason wrote:

What a sad man he is.

His only thought is about whether any measures would allow him to buy a
bigger yacht.

Yes - even if it means helping a speeding or drunk driver evade justice on a technicality. He only cares about lining his own pockets and to hell with road safety.
Old August 8th 20, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 08/08/2020 17:47, JNugent wrote:
[...]

This is what it should be like:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3
Old August 8th 20, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 7:46:58 PM UTC+1, colwyn wrote:

This is what it should be like:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

None of them is wearing a plastic hat as well as they cycle to school in total safety. Puts the UK to shame.
Old August 9th 20, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 08/08/2020 19:46, colwyn wrote:
[...]

They certainly look as though they are being supervised by one or more
responsible adult cyclists so broadly in accord with what Mr Freeman
suggests. It seems that you support him in this.

But that's in NL.

In the UK, finding enough responsible adult cyclists to do the
supervising (or anything else) would almost certainly be a too-tall order.
Old August 9th 20, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 03:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

A spokesperson for Cycling UK told road.cc: "What a cruel world that would be if kids could only ride with adults! Yet again we see the real risk ignored, which is the danger motor traffic can present."

Is this is what the Lycra Lice call safe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RH5HBq5hOg

A dedicated cycle facility turned into a racetrack for the louts and
rendered useless for the virtually extinct utility cyclists.
Old August 9th 20, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

wrote:

A spokesperson for Cycling UK told road.cc: "What a cruel world that would be if kids could only ride with adults! Yet again we see the real risk ignored, which is the danger motor traffic can present."

Is this is what the Lycra Lice call safe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RH5HBq5hOg

A dedicated cycle facility turned into a racetrack for the louts and
rendered useless for the virtually extinct utility cyclists.

The video starts with a warning that its contents may upset the viewer.

There's no obvious reason why it should do that any more than the many
hundreds, if not thousands, of other Youtube videos showing
irresponsible road-users coming to grief.
Old August 9th 20, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 19:13:44 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 09/08/2020 16:29, Mike Collins wrote:
On Saturday, 8 August 2020 11:17:57 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

No mention of child pedestrians being accompanied by an adult who has passed a walking test.

Is there such a thing as a walking test?

Maybe there should be combined with compulsory walking insurance and number plates. Apart from speeding and red light jumping by 'law abiding' drivers most crimes are committed by pedestrians.
Mandatory walking helmets would also reduce the burden on the NHS.

There *is* such a thing as a cycling test.

It used to be called the cycling profiency test but in these days of
quantification and standardisation, it's probably called - appropriately
enough - a BS-something-or-other.

[Or maybe an ISO-something or other.]

So you are posting from ignorance as usual.

I passed the cycling proficiency test in the primary school playground at the age of 9. Does that qualify me to supervise cyclists?