Why the jersey colours?

Old July 15th 03, 12:59 PM
Andrew Swan

Default Why the jersey colours?

Can anyone tell me why the green, white, and polka-dot jerseys are
coloured that way? Is there an historical reason, like there is for the
yellow jersey?

TIA,

&roo

Old July 15th 03, 01:44 PM
Ken Prager

In article ,
Andrew Swan wrote:

Can anyone tell me why the green, white, and polka-dot jerseys are
coloured that way? Is there an historical reason, like there is for the
yellow jersey?

TIA,

&roo

See http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=features/FAQ,
where all is revealed.

HTH,

KP

--
Remove _me_ for e-mail address
Old July 15th 03, 01:57 PM
benjo maso

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me why the green, white, and polka-dot jerseys are
coloured that way? Is there an historical reason, like there is for the
yellow jersey?

The green, I don't know. The organisation announced it (in 1953) as "the
colour of hope", but I fail to see the relation. The white because it is the
colour of innocence and consequently of youth (in 1975, the year it was
installed, many people thought that youth had something to do with
innocence). The polka-dot because it's first sponsor, Poulain (in 1975), was
selling chocolate bars in white wrappers with red dots.

Benjo Maso

Old July 15th 03, 01:59 PM
Jay Hill

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003...d=features/FAQ

Old July 15th 03, 02:18 PM
goulot

The colors are decided by the sponsor. Poulain wanted something that would
stand out, and came up with the poids rouges, Jaune was the color of the
newspaper that originated the thing in1903 but green...? All I know is it
was created for the 50th aniversary of the Tour and the PTT (french post
telephone and telecomunication office) sold over 80 000 anniversary stamps
in1953.

Old July 15th 03, 02:35 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 7/15/03 6:44 AM, in article
, "Ken Prager"
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Swan wrote:

Can anyone tell me why the green, white, and polka-dot jerseys are
coloured that way? Is there an historical reason, like there is for the
yellow jersey?

TIA,

&roo

See http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=features/FAQ,
where all is revealed.

That URL explains what the various colored jerseys signify, but not WHY they
are those particular colors (as opposed to blue, mauve, and pink & puce
polka-dots).

Old July 15th 03, 03:26 PM
Nick Burns

"benjo maso" wrote in message

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me why the green, white, and polka-dot jerseys are
coloured that way? Is there an historical reason, like there is for the
yellow jersey?

The green, I don't know. The organisation announced it (in 1953) as "the
colour of hope", but I fail to see the relation. The white because it is

the
colour of innocence and consequently of youth (in 1975, the year it was
installed, many people thought that youth had something to do with
innocence). The polka-dot because it's first sponsor, Poulain (in 1975),

was
selling chocolate bars in white wrappers with red dots.

Benjo Maso

I thought the original sponsor was BP? That is the main corporate color for
marketing.

Old July 15th 03, 03:46 PM
Lantern Rouge

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:59:39 -0500, Jay Hill wrote:

Andrew Swan wrote:
Can anyone tell me why the green, white, and polka-dot jerseys are
coloured that way? Is there an histor coloured that way? Is there an histor
want to know why the jerseys are

the colours they are, and not particularly what they are awarded for:

The Maillot a Pois Rouges and Maillot Blanc have been explained by someone else
in the tread.

The Green Jersey is the PMU sponsor's predominant colour: Green

PMU = PariMUtuel - Interactive betting mostly on horses

PMU have been an on-again, off-again sponsor of the jersey, but have
sponsored it now for the last 13 years.

The Green Jersey was first awarded in the 50th Anniversary edition of the Tour in 1953

On the presumption that you do in fact want to know why the jerseys are
the colours they are, and not particularly what they are awarded for:

The Maillot a Pois Rouges and Maillot Blanc have been explained by someone else
in the tread.

The Green Jersey is the PMU sponsor's predominant colour: Green

PMU = PariMUtuel - Interactive betting mostly on horses

PMU have been an on-again, off-again sponsor of the jersey, but have
sponsored it now for the last 13 years.

The Green Jersey was first awarded in the 50th Anniversary edition of the Tour in 1953

The Yellow Jersey was first awarded in 1919.

[...]

It is yellow for the same reason as the Maglia Rosa in the Giro.

Henri Desgrange's journal, L'Auto was printed on yellow paper as La
Gazzetta dello Sport is printed on pink.

Whilst first awarded on July 13, 1919, and intended to be worn by the leader,
Eugene Christophe on the next day, Bastille Day, Christophe had to wait to
don his prized jersey.

It wasn't ready when it came time to present it.

As an interesting aside, almost every time the Tour visits Marseille,
something goes wrong.

How about trying to chronicle a few Marseille Disasters (apart from the one mentioned here)
Old July 15th 03, 03:50 PM
Lantern Rouge

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:35:57 +0000, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

On 7/15/03 6:44 AM, in article
, "Ken Prager"
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Swan wrote:

Can anyone tell me why the green, white, and polka-dot jerseys are
coloured that way? Is there an historical reason, like there is for the
yellow jersey?

TIA,

&roo

See http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=features/FAQ,
where all is revealed.

That URL explains what the various colored jerseys signify, but not WHY they
are those particular colors (as opposed to blue, mauve, and pink & puce
polka-dots).

I'm glad you agree with my interpretation of the query contained in the
post.

I have tried to explain in another response in the thread, at least the
two that have not been explained by another poster

Old July 15th 03, 04:11 PM

Lantern Rouge wrote:

As an interesting aside, almost every time the Tour visits Marseille,
something goes wrong.

How about trying to chronicle a few Marseille Disasters (apart from the
one mentioned here)

Stuart O'Grady was mugged there..

GK

Jersey etiquette cheg General 46 July 3rd 04 07:38 PM
WTB Polish Postal Team Jersey Peter General 2 April 25th 04 02:22 PM
Phonak jersey? Perry Sailor General 3 February 27th 04 09:42 PM
Jersey Question? F1 General 13 July 28th 03 12:52 AM
Alternate USPS Jersey? brian roth Racing 3 July 12th 03 09:09 PM