Penultimate stage an ITT or TTT?

Old July 16th 03, 11:24 PM
Arthg

Default Penultimate stage an ITT or TTT?

I about croaked when I saw stage 19 listed as a team time trial on the OLN
web site. At least 2 other sites show the stage as an ITT.
It *is* an individual TT, no?

Old July 17th 03, 12:47 AM
Bill Davidson

Arthg wrote:
I about croaked when I saw stage 19 listed as a team time trial on the OLN
web site. At least 2 other sites show the stage as an ITT.
It *is* an individual TT, no?

I believe you're referring to this page:

http://www.letour.com/2003/us/etapes.html

You can also get there from http://www.letour.com/2003/us/index.html by
clicking on "the route"-"the stages". It shows: "Stage 19 : team time
trial - 49 km, saturday 26 july". However, if you go to
"the route"-"the map"

http://www.letour.com/2003/us/parcours.html

it says there's only one team time trial. I think it's a mistake on
the stages page and stage 19 is actually an ITT. Another TTT doesn't
seem likely.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old July 17th 03, 12:50 AM
Andrew McLaren

I think there was a Tour in the late 70s with two TTTs, back in the Team
TI-Raleigh era (they were THE TTT squad). In fact I think they had as many
as 5 Time Trials including the prologue, two ITTs and two TTTs if memory
serves. Can anybody confirm this?

Old July 17th 03, 01:30 AM
Tom Schulenburg

"Andrew McLaren" wrote in message
I think there was a Tour in the late 70s with two TTTs, back in the Team
TI-Raleigh era (they were THE TTT squad). In fact I think they had as many
as 5 Time Trials including the prologue, two ITTs and two TTTs if memory
serves. Can anybody confirm this?

1979 - 1 prologue, 2 TTT, 4 ITT Check out:

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccb..._ten.html#1979

-T

Old July 17th 03, 12:49 PM
Andrew McLaren

Thanks for the link! Looks like there were two TTTs in the '79, '80 and '81
editions, plus many more ITTs than we have now... in fact looking back to 1978
it seems there was a 153km TTT stage! Also, as I suspected, all TTTs from '78
through '82 were won by team Raleigh... perhaps this led to Tour organizers
cutting back on them somewhat.

TTTs won by TI-Raleigh:

1978: Stage 4, 153km
1979: Stage 4, 87km and Stage 8, 90km
1980: Stage 1b, 46km and Stage 7a, 65km
1981: Stage 1b, 40km and Stage 4, 77km
1982: Stage 9a, 69km

Of course TI-Raleigh never won the Tour overall but with similar distances in a
contemporary TDF, won by a team like Postal or ONCE we'd see a lot bigger time
gaps and more riders left out of GC contention early on in the game.

Thanks

Andrew

In article ,
says...