Minimum bike weight, TdF question

Old July 17th 03, 01:58 PM
Monty Montgomery

Default Minimum bike weight, TdF question

On one of OLN's breaks, they stated one of the rider's bikes had to have
weight added to it (heavier seat post) because it was too light.

Is this true?
Is there a minimum bike weight?
If so, what is it?
If so, why?
Thanks
Monty

Old July 17th 03, 02:09 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Is this true?-yes
Is there a minimum bike weight?-yes
If so, what is it?-6.8kg
If so, why?-who knows... BRBR

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 17th 03, 02:10 PM
Antti Salonen

Monty Montgomery wrote:

On one of OLN's breaks, they stated one of the rider's bikes had to have
weight added to it (heavier seat post) because it was too light.
Is this true?

Yes. It was Team Saeco's new Cannondale.

Is there a minimum bike weight?

Yes.

If so, what is it?

6.8 kilograms (15.0 pounds), including at least pedals and bottle cages.

If so, why?

I would imagine that the reason is the same why there are pretty strict
regulations about other aspects of the bikes. Road cycling regulations
want to emphasize the man over the machine. I think it also has a
safety benefit, as there's no incentive to use _seriously_ light fragile
equipment. I doubt many bikes weigh much more than 7 kilograms in the
mountain stages, but you could build sub-6 kg bikes out of standard
components, if you really wanted to.

-as

Old July 17th 03, 02:11 PM
Morten

Hi!

The Saeco riders were riding the new Cannondale (CAAD 8 I believe) which
weighs some 6,6 kg. The minimum weight allowed - by UCI - is 6,8 kg. This
limit is set for security reasons. There is some concern that the bike
becomes too fragile if the tube walls are made too thin.
If you saw the first mountain stage in the Alps you may have noticed that
the Saeco riders were wearing white jerseys instead of their normal red
ones. The white jerseys had the text "Legalize my Cannondale" printed on
them.

You can read more on Cannondales web site.

Morten