Invited to perform

Old April 14th 05, 04:29 PM
yoopers

Default Invited to perform

Ben and Brad have been invited to perform next Monday night for a boy
scout troup in Roscoe, IL. The scouts are having a gala affair with a
Circus of the Stars theme and have asked us to be a part of their show.
No, we will not dress as clowns.

We'll have about a half hour time slot to perform unicycling skills;
single and pairs freestyle, giraffe work, Super Trick Cycle, ultimate
wheel, some trials skills, intermixed with some narration of unicycling
in general. I'd like to follow with a question and answer session
(thought that would be fun) then we promised to hang around afterwards
to allow the scouts to try out our toys.

Should be a fun time but even better, it's a paid gig. I guess we've
come a long way since the time a little girl who happened to be walking
down the street one nice Saturday afternoon in 2003 saw us riding in our
driveway offered me 8 cents to do a trick.

Bruce

--
yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards

Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them
from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."
yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31

Old April 14th 05, 07:42 PM
halfbike

Thats cool, Im in a show on the 22th. But I'm not getting paid. Maybe
someday...

--
halfbike - Obsessed Rider

Every great person has a signature. This is mine.
halfbike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9428

Old April 14th 05, 09:58 PM
Jethro

yoopers wrote:
[b] I guess we've come a long way since the time a little girl who
happened to be walking down the street one nice Saturday afternoon in
2003 saw us riding in our driveway offered me 8 cents to do a trick.

Is the IRS aware of this?

--
Jethro - Monk

-Originally posted by chosen-
*jethro is a wierd, old, probably hairy, man who needs a reality check.*

Jethro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9413

Old April 14th 05, 11:44 PM
One on one

I'm going to be riding my unicycles for my son's kindergarten class.
They learn a new letter each week, and have to bring in an object that
starts with that letter.
When the teacher heard that I ride a unicycle, she asked if I would give
a little demonstration. The week starting April 25th is going to be for
the letter U.

--
One on one - Geezer Unicyclists Of America

"However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
he/she could black out."
-Memphis Mud

One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

Old April 15th 05, 01:29 AM
s7ev0

One on one wrote:
*I'm going to be riding my unicycles for my son's kindergarten class.
They learn a new letter each week, and have to bring in an object that
starts with that letter.
When the teacher heard that I ride a unicycle, she asked if I would
give a little demonstration. The week starting April 25th is going to
be for the letter U. *

Sounds like a whole episode of Sesame Street in the offing to me....

--
s7ev0 - ************

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old April 15th 05, 03:56 AM
KcTheAcy@School

You will probably get more and more shows once word spreads.

Our club does a ton of them, usually parades or promoting unicycling and
juggling as alternate form of PE. One of the schools that we went to
about 3 years ago now has a club of its own with about 20 members. We
did a parade last weekend, preformed at a nursing home today. We are
doing a memorial day parade. In 2 months we doing a show at a school in
Bath, ME. We are performing at a clam festival in the summer. There is a
chance that we will be in the Macys day parade and we are in the 2006 DC
National Independence parade for the 3rd time. Probably a bunch more.

--
KcTheAcy@School - My computer broke
KcTheAcy@School's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9419

Old April 19th 05, 04:31 AM
yoopers

Great performance, great night tonight!

We traveled to Roscoe, IL tonight for our performance for the Roscoe cub
scout pack meeting. Roscoe is about 50 minutes north of us up on the
Wisconsin border. I introduced ourselves then immediately brought out
Clyde, our monkey on a unicycle. Mary made her way around the half
circle of boys with Clyde while I continued with my introductions.
Clyde was a huge hit and really set the night off on the right foot.

Then we cranked up some high energy music while first Brad then Ben
performed some amazing freestyle. They followed that with some great
pairs routines on giraffes. As I mentioned in another post, we had
practiced playing to the audience and both boys did a great job with it.
At the end of Ben's freestyle, he was taking his bows and accepting all
the audience's clapping. Suddenly, Brad rode out on the 6', tossled
Ben's hair and sped off. Ben ran back for the 5', freemounted then
chased Brad around the gym. The audience loved it. From there they
went into their giraffe pairs routine. Very nice job from both boys
with a beautiful sycronized dismount at the end. I had the three-stack
ready so Ben hopped up and performed some wheel walking and other tricks
at 6½ feet in the air to finish off the giraffe segment.

As Ben exited, Brad emerged on the Super Trick Cycle for some stunts
followed by Ben with some great riding on the ultimate wheel. Following
Dustin's lead, after he rode a bit, Ben told the audience that he would
attempt a rolling mount only once. If he hit it, great. If he didn't,
they'd have to wait until next time. So with great anticipation (we
really built it up), Ben rolled the wheel across the floor and landed a
beautiful rolling mount.

Lastly, Ben came out with his trials and did some demonstrations of
hopping and twisting. We ended the performance with Ben jumping over
Brad. When Brad wasn't a big enough obstacle, we added the scout
master. The crowd went nuts when Ben landed his jump (he has actually
made it over four people before).

After the performance was over, we hung around to answer questions and
let the little scouts play with our unicycles. We had also brought our
Uniskate and Brad's microbike to play with. What a fun time!

All in all, it was a great night. Ben and Brad each made $40 for the
evening but the best reward was the feeling of power in performance.
We're looking forward to next time.

Bruce

Old April 19th 05, 12:28 PM
s7ev0

Fantastic!

I had a huge grin on my face reading your account of your show.

A first-rate event - wish I'd been there!

Old April 19th 05, 03:03 PM
yoopers

Thanks.

One of the fun parts was the question and answer period afterward. I
had a few minutes left before we exited to take questions.

Q: Have you ever fallen off?
A: Nope, never (audience laughs, they know better). I told them that,
yes, we've fallen many times. Unicyclists have scars on their lower
legs that we either call shindentations or calf tracks. My worst fall
was out in front of my house when I mounted, missed the pedal and fell
backward flat on my back in the street. That was bad but not as bad as
the whooping and laughing from the car load of high schoolers riding by
at that exact moment. I also told them that unicycling typically is
known as a slow speed sport unlike barreling down the street on skates
or boards. I asked if any of the boys rode bikes, then asked if they'd
ever crashed on their bikes. I related the fact that unicycles don't
have the crossbar or handlebars to tangle in.

Q: Where do you get them?
A: We get our unicycles at half-off sales (audience groans). I told
them about Unicycle.com.

Q: How do you stay on?
A: Back to the bicycles, they boys already have the side-to-side
balance for the most part. What they don't have is the front to back
control. I talked about how we learned in our living room over the
winter of 2000, broke up furniture, walls, shelving. Then a year later,
I remodeled the living room and now Mary's new rule for some reason is
no more riding in the house. Learning to ride boils down to practice
and developing the necessary muscle memory. If a person is old like me,
it could take two to three weeks. We've seen boys learn in an
afternoon.

Q: What's the biggest unicycle we've ridden?
A: I told them about the many different types of unicycles out there
and of some of the unique ones we've seen. The three tall ones we have
are 5', 6', and the triple-stack at 6.5'. Ben and Brad have ridden 8
foot unicycles before and we have friends who ride 10 and 12 footers.
Forgot to tell them about Sem's 113' world record. Next time.

I think there was one other question at that time but I don't remember
what it was.