20110208 Update on Jobst

Old February 9th 11, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default 20110208 Update on Jobst

On 2/8/2011 1:32 PM, Brad Anders wrote:
I have been indirectly receiving updates from Olaf, Jobst's son. My
intent here is to preserve Jobst's privacy while letting those on
Usenet who have interacted with him for 20+ years know how he's
doing.

Jobst is still in Stanford's Intermediate ICU. While his condition is
stable, Jobst has had a difficult time recovering from his accident.
His alertness and lucidity aren't where they should be, and the team
at Stanford and Jobst's family are working hard to address these
problems. He is also slowly making progress in recovering from his
physical injuries.

If you're a friend of Jobst's, have ridden with him in the past, and
are local to Stanford, please consider stopping by to say hello. Jobst
has received many visitors and Olaf says the visits have helped Jobst
immensely. I suggest you call Stanford first and check on if Jobst is
receiving visitors before you stop by. I also ask for some respect for
Jobst and his family, please keep the discussion on Jobst and his
accident civil.

Hopefully, a future update will be a ride report from Jobst.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old February 9th 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Feb 8, 4:38 pm, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
On Feb 8, 12:32 pm, Brad Anders wrote:

[...]

Brad,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

In my limited experience with people in ICUs and
CCUs, there's sometimes a sort of hospital
disorientation effect. People can make significant
progress in recovering lucidity so that is to be hoped
for, esp. when they can move him out of the ICU.

Yep. That and a broken femur can't be easy to take for someone who
truly loves to Ride Bike.

(I for one was never too lucid to begin with, so there you go :-)

Whole lotta love out here, Jobst. Still sending those vibes your
way. Pull through.
Old February 9th 11, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 2/8/2011 6:53 PM, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

This jackass is a write only poster.
Does not read for content.

Why the change in user name?

Old February 9th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Feb 8, 11:32 am, Brad Anders wrote:
I have been indirectly receiving updates from Olaf, Jobst's son. My
intent here is to preserve Jobst's privacy while letting those on
Usenet who have interacted with him for 20+ years know how he's
doing.

SNIP
Brad Anders

Thank-you for this update, Brad. I hope everything goes well.

pH

Old February 9th 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 8, 6:16*pm, Dan O wrote:
[...]

way. *Pull through.- Hide quoted text -

Even with blood transfusions and major surgery to place rods or
plates, I wouldn't expect him to be in the ICU longer than the first
or second post-operative day -- even at his age. I won't speculate
though about what's going on, though.

I rode a trainer with a tib/fib fracture fixed with rods and plates
about ten days after surgery, but then I could bend at the knee. A
femur fracture lands you in a full length cast. Jobst will have to do
some one-leg trainer riding, which is surprisingly hard to do -- you
have to figure out where to put the other leg. The good part is that
you end up with an upper body from being on crutches. I can do more
push ups now than before breaking my leg/ankles. -- Jay Beattie.

Old February 9th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 2/8/2011 9:35 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Feb 8, 6:16 pm, Dan wrote:
On Feb 8, 4:38 pm, Fredmaster of wrote:

On Feb 8, 12:32 pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

Google "hand-cycle" and "trike".

I once rode a last part of a ride effectively one-legged due to knee
pain. Foot retention is a must, and it is slow going - I was almost
passed by a hand-cyclist.

Old February 9th 11, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

[...]

thanks,

Brad Anders

Pass the message to Jobst from all of us (I hope) - we want to see him
Ride Bike again.

Old February 9th 11, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Van Buren

On Feb 8, 10:35*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Feb 8, 6:16*pm, Dan O wrote:

[...]

Depending on the type of fracture, he may not need a cast. I had a mid
shaft femur fracture (from football, not cycling) and I didn't get a
cast or even a brace. I had a nail put through the femur and clamped
to the top of the hip. I remember asking my doctor something like "are
you sure I don't need a cast?" He said it wasn't necessary. I actually
stood on the leg 48 hours after having the surgery. The biggest issue
was getting the range of motion back. I think it was about three
months before I could touch my heel to my butt. I was able to ride the
stationary bike after a few weeks.

Peter.
Old February 9th 11, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
LF

On Feb 8, 11:32 am, Brad Anders wrote:
I have been indirectly receiving updates from Olaf, Jobst's son.snip

Brad,
Thanks much for the update. I believe Jobst's strengths of body and
mind are great assets, and look forward to his recovery.
Best,
Larry Fieman
Marblehead, MA
Old February 9th 11, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley[_2_]

On Feb 8, 8:12*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:

Hopefully, a future update will be a ride report from Jobst.

Hear, Hear!

Jobst Phil H Techniques 83 July 13th 11 12:53 AM
Update on Jobst Brad Anders Racing 22 February 3rd 11 12:31 AM
When Jobst ... Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 1 January 20th 11 09:28 PM
Jobst Brad Anders Racing 20 January 19th 11 05:31 PM
Jobst TriGuru55x11 Rides 1 January 19th 11 01:13 PM