4-Cross or 5-Cross, help me decide

Old October 15th 11, 06:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default 4-Cross or 5-Cross, help me decide

Schwalbe, a German factory now in China with new equipment LOOKS and
may FEEL like an auto tire. Hmmmmmmm.
Schwalbe proliferates tires types as does Conti
but we wonder if Schwalbe does the testing for each tire type to fill
a niche like Conti does do as we Conti buyers know.
I have a Big Big Apple for a cyclocross frame. The BA griiiipsssss the
road, looks like an auto tire, and generates a high degree of road
friction.
most un Conti like.
The BA I have would make an excellent wet weather tire.
Old October 15th 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Oct 14, 7:36*pm, Chalo wrote:
pH wrote:

I noted that Continental and Schwalbe are both absent from your list
of 27" tires....
by accident or on purpose?

I like the Conti Gatorskin just fine, but I think it's far too
expensive for what it is. *The Conti Ultra Sport is basically
equivalent to the Zaffiro, maybe just a little more supple, but it
isn't quite as consistent as the Zaffiro and it has the famous
Continental too-tight fit.

I've never used or sold a Schwalbe 27" tire, but I'm reserved about
recommending Schwalbe tires in general. *At their best they are
outstanding tires-- tough, fast, and long-lasting. *At their worst
they're lumpy, too expensive, and prone to casing failures.

Chalo

Hmmm. Thank-you for your thoughts.
I understand that I have to take what I can get (due completely to my
own curmudgeonliness) and I'm content with that.

I am even more re-assured about the Zaffiro, now. If it performs well
maybe I'll make it my standard tire. Right now I have a couple
cheapest possible Continentals, a couple Paselas, a Cheng-Shin 1-3/8,
since that was the only one I can find in that size nowadays and a
pile of Panaracers for the 26" cycles.

Thank-you again, Chalo, for your help.

pH