Sugino straight arm triple crankset?

Old November 8th 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Sugino straight arm triple crankset?

Hi there.

My sciatica doesn't like the wider Q-factor of offset crankarms. I
understand that Sugino still makes straight arm triple cranksets. Does
anyone know where I can get one in South Central Ontario, Canada?

If not does Andrew sell them?

I prefer 170 mm crankarms and would like 24-38-48 chainrings although
I think that 28-38-48 rings are standard.

Thanks and cheers
Old November 8th 11, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
My sciatica doesn't like the wider Q-factor of offset crankarms. I
understand that Sugino still makes straight arm triple cranksets.
Does anyone know where I can get one in South Central Ontario,
Canada?

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Cranksets.asp has the Sugino XD2 and
ships, being in New Hampshire.

If not does Andrew sell them?

Yes, http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx2.html

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei
Old November 8th 11, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Nov 8, 10:36*am, Helmut Springer wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
My sciatica doesn't like the wider Q-factor of offset crankarms. I
understand that Sugino still makes straight arm triple cranksets.
Does anyone know where I can get one in South Central Ontario,
Canada?

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Cranksets.asphas the Sugino XD2 and
ships, being in New Hampshire.

If not does Andrew sell them?

Yes,http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx2.html

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * panta rhei

Hi there.

I also want something in the $60.00 range if possib;e. The old Sugino
GT or VP were ideal for me. Is there anything like that still
available? Ebay is *NOT* an option for me.

Thanks again and cheers
Old November 8th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Helmut Springer wrote:

Sir Ridesalot

My sciatica doesn't like the wider Q-factor of offset crankarms. I
understand that Sugino still makes straight arm triple cranksets.
Does anyone know where I can get one in South Central Ontario,
Canada?

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Cranksets.asp has the Sugino XD2 and
ships, being in New Hampshire.

If not does Andrew sell them?

Yes,http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx2.html

I also want something in the $60.00 range if possible. The old Sugino
GT or VP were ideal for me. Is there anything like that still
available? Ebay is *NOT* an option for me.

Are you aware that the old square cranks typically used BB spindles
that measured 20mm longer than those you can use with flared cranks?
If you stay away from the worst examples of wide MTB cranks these
days, using a 103mm or 107mm spindle leaves you with about the same Q
as the cranks of yore.

If you live in a place that has a community/salvage bike shop or
regular swap meet, you can find the kind of cranks you're looking for
at one of those places. If you can find a Sugino AT crank, those are
beautifully made cold-forged units that are way classier than most
cranks ever made in similar numbers.

What's your issue with eBay? Seems no worse than any other flea
market to me.

Chalo
Old November 8th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Nov 8, 2:00*pm, Chalo wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Helmut Springer wrote:

Sir Ridesalot

[...]

Chalo- Hide quoted text -

My issue with Ebay is that I have never had a credit card nor do I
want to get one now.

The Q-factor on my straight arm crankset is a lot *LESS* than it is
with the square taper flared road cranks I have such as Campy Veloce
and FSA.

I *KNOW* that Sugino makes a nice straight arm square taper crankset
because I saw links to images of tthem here about one yearor so ago.

Thanks and cheers
Old November 9th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
My sciatica doesn't like the wider Q-factor of offset crankarms. I
understand that Sugino still makes straight arm triple cranksets.
Does anyone know where I can get one in South Central Ontario,
Canada?

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Cranksets.asphasthe Sugino XD2 and
ships, being in New Hampshire.

If not does Andrew sell them?

Yes,http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx2.html

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * panta rhei

Hi there.

I also want something in the $60.00 range if possib;e. The old Sugino
GT or VP were ideal for me. Is there anything like that still
available? Ebay is *NOT* an option for me.

Thanks again and cheers

Any bike shop that uses QBP can get you a Sugino Impel for $60. Yes,
it's riveted and has steel rings and weighs a half pound more than
alloy...but it's $60, shifts fine, and will last quite a long time. I
use a set on my utility bike, they're functionally perfect. 110mm BB.
Old November 15th 11, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Nov 8, 12:45*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Nov 8, 2:00*pm, Chalo wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Helmut Springer wrote:

Sir Ridesalot

[...]

Thanks and cheers- Hide quoted text -

All of my early eBay transactions were conducted via Personal Check.
I was always sure to inform the seller that I had no trouble waiting
for the check to clear before he shipped.

That seemed to work and I never had a problem.
Just something to consider....

pH