A close call

Old November 18th 06, 05:19 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
nget

Default A close call

I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of
traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me. The
beast bolted about a foot from my pedals and turned back into the dark.
The light I'm using is a 6volt and I'm thinking it's just not enough for
where I am riding.
The things we go thru just to ride our recumbents.
Mark

--
nget

Old November 18th 06, 11:33 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ken C. M.

nget wrote:
I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of
traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me. The
beast bolted about a foot from my pedals and turned back into the dark.
The light I'm using is a 6volt and I'm thinking it's just not enough for
where I am riding.
The things we go thru just to ride our recumbents.
Mark

Well deer act funny anyway. They are as bad a squirrels. Deer tend to
freeze in the light. And then decide to move at inappropriate times.
Thats when disaster strikes.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
Old November 18th 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
nget

Ken C. M. Wrote:
nget wrote:
I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of
traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me.

Well deer act funny anyway. They are as bad a squirrels. Deer tend to
freeze in the light. And then decide to move at inappropriate times.
Thats when disaster strikes.

Ken
--
My ride would have been more relaxed had I waited for people to get
home from the evening commute. The deer also have a habit of moving

--
nget

Old November 18th 06, 08:30 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"nget" wrote in message

Ken C. M. Wrote:
nget wrote:
I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of
traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me.

Well deer act funny anyway. They are as bad a squirrels. Deer tend to
freeze in the light. And then decide to move at inappropriate times.
Thats when disaster strikes.

Ken
--
My ride would have been more relaxed had I waited for people to get
home from the evening commute. The deer also have a habit of moving
right after dark, they're predictable in that anyway. Between having to
work and the rain fronts that come in the pnw [Pacific Northwest?], I
have to ride when I get
a chance. Mark

Mark, a couple of years ago I was driving over to Sioux Falls along
Interstate 90 and there were literally dozens of deer lying dead along the
median. They had been hit by cars and trucks of course, but I felt so
depressed about it that I turned around from my trip, came home and polished
off several bottles of vino. The g.d deer cannot figure out roads and
traffic, any more than dogs and cats can. Hells Bells, we humans can barely
figure it out.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 18th 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

nget wrote:
I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of
traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me. The
beast bolted about a foot from my pedals and turned back into the dark.
The light I'm using is a 6volt and I'm thinking it's just not enough for
where I am riding.
The things we go thru just to ride our recumbents.
Mark

It's rutting season and where I am (Illinois) it's the opening of
shotgun season as well, one or two days ago it began I think.... Between
midnight and 4AM, you can't hardly take three steps out your front door
without getting run down by a whitetail.
~
Old November 18th 06, 09:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
jimmymac

HELL NO, I AM THE KING OF TROLLS***JIMMYMAC 4863 W. GREGORY ST.
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60630 773 282 9874***HELL NO, I AM THE KING OF
TROLLS***JIMMYMAC 4863 W. GREGORY ST. CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60630 773 282
9874***HELL NO, I AM THE KING OF TROLLS***JIMMYMAC 4863 W. GREGORY ST.
Edward Dolan wrote:

Old November 20th 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Dave Larrington

In article , nget.2hgdan@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com says...

I went out after dark for a short ride testing my new light. Lots of
traffic but the real danger was that a deer almost ran into me. The
beast bolted about a foot from my pedals and turned back into the dark.
The light I'm using is a 6volt and I'm thinking it's just not enough for
where I am riding.
The things we go thru just to ride our recumbents.
Mark

My chum Twed hit a fox at about 35 mph the other day. He escaped with
little injury, but the fox was, I'm told, well dead :-(

The onward interchange factor will be unity except for journeys to
Chesham, Croxley or Watford.

Close call for Bog biker nash General 11 October 21st 06 07:46 AM
Close call? Neil Brooks General 11 October 3rd 05 07:32 PM
close call! Mark Heiple General 24 September 21st 05 08:08 AM
Close Call... Dana Recumbent Biking 6 August 18th 05 05:44 AM
Close call on my Coker. Evan Byrne Unicycling 33 April 2nd 05 08:26 AM