What - Intelligent Thought?

Old February 16th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

Default What - Intelligent Thought?

In article ,
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

On 16 Feb 2007 00:47:39 GMT, William Asher wrote:
As you get older, you realize there is no point in saving the best
part for last.

That is true. What if there's a fire? Then you were smart to eat your
steak first.

But if there's a fire, you can pick the steak up and take it with you. That's not
so easily done with the frites or grilled brussels sprouts.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old February 16th 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Howard Kveck wrote:
But if there's a fire, you can pick the steak up and take it with you. That's not
so easily done with the frites or grilled brussels sprouts.

Anyway a true LIVEDRUNKARD following that philosophy would polish off his
alcoholic beverages first.

Old February 16th 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Joe Cipale

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 00:47:39 GMT, William Asher wrote:

As you get older, you realize there is no point in saving the best
part for last.

That is true. What if there's a fire? Then you were smart to eat your
steak first.

Life is short, eat dessert first...
Old February 16th 07, 11:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Joe Cipale

y_p_w wrote:
On Feb 16, 9:21 am, "y_p_w" wrote:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/se...Pelosi_DoD_Let...

Just correcting some typos:

** **

THE ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
WASHINGTON, DC 20301-1300

The Honorable Nancy Pelosi
Speaker
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Madam Speaker:

I am pleased to provide you with the Department of Defense's response
to your staff's January 23, 2007 request for policy guidance with
regard to airlift support for your travel.

We will support your requested travel consistent with title 31 of the
United States Code (Section 1108(g)) and the CODEL travel rules of the
110th Congress. Further, we will provide Presidentially-directed
shuttle support as a courtesy in recognition of your position as the
Speaker of the House, and consistent with that support provided to
previous Speakers of the House. Since the plan for continuity of the
Presidency does not exclude routine use of military airlift for the
Speaker of the House, this support is provided without any specific
basis to your standing as a Presidential successor or position in the
line of succession.

This shuttle support will be limited to airlift between your home
district and Washington D.C.. While every effort will always be made
to provide non-stop shuttle support, such support is subject to
aircraft type and availability and therefore may not always be
guaranteed. Aircraft assigned to these missions will accommodate
between 7 and not more than 10 passengers, depending on aircraft type
and availability.

Also, upon your written request, on a trip by trip basis, we will
support travel of your immediate family members on these shuttle
missions. Your family will be required to provide reimbursement to
the Treasury of the United States at the rate determined by the
Committee on Standards of Official Conduct but not less than
unrestricted coach fare for airfare and for all meals or incidental
expenses (to exclude travel of your husband, who may travel for
official protocol purposes when accompanying you). Non-U.S.
government travelers, other than your immediate family, will not be
authorized.

As with previous speakers, we cannot support expenditure of DoD
resources for your travel to or from political events. DoD support
for travel to other official events must be in accordance with title
31 of the United States Code (Section 1108(g)) and the CODEL travel
rules of the 110th Congress. With regard to travel of other Members
of Congress (including Members of the California Congressional
delegation) on these shuttle missions, we will need a written advisory
opinion on eligibility and reimbursement, issued by the Committee on
Standards of Official Conduct and the Committee on House
Administration before we can support travel of other Members of
Congress on your Presidentially-directed shuttle missions.

Than you for providing an opportunity for us to clarify these rules.
We look forward to working closely with you and your staff during the
110th Congress.

Sincerely,

Robert L. Wilkie
Assistant Secretary of Defense
(Legislative Affairs)

Uh-oh... you provided an legitimate citation. euncuh will ne frothing
becuase he cant back up his claims now.
Old February 16th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:55:36 +0200, Donald Munro
wrote:

Anyway a true LIVEDRUNKARD following that philosophy would polish off his
alcoholic beverages first.

I only give up the ale for a really good creme brulee. A man could
burn to death, standing there, trying to make that decision.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 16th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Howard Kveck" wrote in message
In article ,
Jack Hollis wrote:

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:12:28 -0800, Howard Kveck
wrote:

The only difference is that she would
need a plane that has greater rangethan he did because she needs to fly
further.
It's really pretty simple.
Why can't she stop to refuel? Do you think it's worth another
$200,000.00 of taxpayer money per round trip to save her an hour?

The DoD are the ones who are taking care of this and they seem to think
it isn't
worth the added expense and trouble of working the logistics of planning a
refueling
stop, in addition to the logistics of security.

I love watching you tell us what the DoD is thinking.

It's not nearly as amusing as watching you tell us what Pelosi is
thinking. It is less predictable, however.
Old February 16th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
y_p_w

wrote:

The only difference is that she would
need aplanethat has greater rangethan he did because she needs to fly
further.
It's really pretty simple.
Why can't she stop to refuel? Do you think it's worth another
$200,000.00 of taxpayer money per round trip to save her an hour?
The DoD are the ones who are taking care of this and they seem to think
it isn't
worth the added expense and trouble of working the logistics of planning a
refueling
stop, in addition to the logistics of security.

I love watching you tell us what the DoD is thinking.

It's not nearly as amusing as watching you tell us whatPelosiis
thinking. It is less predictable, however.

Maybe I don't know what she's thinking, but here's the Pentagon's
response letter. I guess this is the "smoking gun" that she requested
a jumbo jet with sleeping quarters. sarcasm mode off

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/se...DoD_Letter.pdf

I typed the following, since it was a scan of a letter.

** **

[...]

100th Congress.

Sincerely,

Robert L. Wilkie.

Old February 16th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:10:52 +0000, Joe Cipale
wrote:

Uh-oh... you provided an legitimate citation. euncuh will ne frothing
becuase he cant back up his claims now.

Its never bothered him before. OTOH, he probably will be frothing. But
that's just what is, is.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 16th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
y_p_w

On Feb 16, 3:10 am, Joe Cipale wrote:

Uh-oh... you provided an legitimate citation. euncuh will ne frothing
becuase he cant back up his claims now.

I read excerpts of the response, but the entire letter doesn't seem
like anything more than a clarification of her transportation
privileges as speaker. I know before I travel on business I'll ask to
clarify what the meal reimbursement procedures are (do I get per
diem?) or whether or not I should take a taxi/shuttle/car service to/
from airports.

Here's one part of the letter that Pelosi critics seized upon:

This shuttle support will be limited to airlift between your home
district and Washington D.C.. While every effort will always be made
to provide non-stop shuttle support, such support is subject to
aircraft type and availability and therefore may not always be
guaranteed. Aircraft assigned to these missions will accommodate
between 7 and not more than 10 passengers, depending on aircraft type
and availability.

I can pretty much see what that means. "7 to 10" passengers seems to
describe the smaller VIP aircraft - the C-21/Learjet, C-20B
(Gulfstream III), or C-37A (Gulfstream V). "Non-stop service" would
depend on a combination of aircraft type and ambient conditions. The
C-21 will never make it non-stop to San Francisco from D.C.. The
C-20B might be able to do so under ideal conditions. The C-37A can
make it under all expected conditions short of taking off into a
tornado.

The part on whether or not she can take the plane to political events
or bring along member of Congress seems legitimate. The Pres/VP/First
Lady get to use their planes in such a manner, although I believe they
have to reimburse (to what degree?) the Treasury for their use. So
that's not allowed for the Speaker - big deal. I wouldn't be all that
upset if Speaker Pelosi wants to take along another member of
Congress, like Senators Feinstein or Boxer, who live near her
district. They could actually get some government work done or engage
in some "girl talk" if that's what they want. Heck - take my
representative (Ellen Tauscher) and maybe they can mend some fences.

And for those wondering, CODEL is code for "Congressional
Delegation". I have the feeling that Speaker Pelosi could conceivably
ask for and get a C-32 if she were leading a Congressional Delegation
to Europe/Asia/etc. There was never a question as to whether members
of Congress could travel in the DoD's version of a 757, but whether or
not it might be used for her regular shuttle service home (which I
don't believe she asked for). That's one of the purposes for this
particular plane

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=90

C-32

Mission
The C-32 provides safe, comfortable and reliable transportation for
our nation's leaders to locations around the world. The primary
customers are the vice president, using the distinctive call sign "Air
Force Two," the first lady, and members of the Cabinet and Congress.