Wheee, I'm a cyclist again!

Old April 27th 04, 03:47 AM
Marlene Blanshay

Default Wheee, I'm a cyclist again!

My first real ride of the year after recovering from emergency abdominal
surgery, almost 2 months ago. The weather has been crap so I haven't missed
a thing. It was decent today, mild (about 14C or 57f) but then it got rather
windy and it was right in my face. I managed only 27k,but I felt a lot
stronger than I thought I would in spite of the surgery, losing weight I
didn't need to lose, being inactive for nearly a month, etc.

Needless to say it'll be a while before I'm back to where I was, but it was
just so great to be out on the road! The weather is also cooperating,
supposed to warm up at the end of the week to the low 70s this weekend! The
first really nice day of the spring and I won't miss it! Wheee! Not to
mention that I need some sun. I look like something that died and was dug
up.

Old April 27th 04, 05:39 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Marlene Blanshay" writes:

Needless to say it'll be a while before I'm back to where I was, but it was
just so great to be out on the road! The weather is also cooperating,
supposed to warm up at the end of the week to the low 70s this weekend! The
first really nice day of the spring and I won't miss it! Wheee! Not to
mention that I need some sun. I look like something that died and was dug
up.

I'm glad you're back on your bike where you belong.

I've been resuscitating my bike tan for the last
couple of days, too.

I guess you've got lots of lost (riding) time to make
up for, now. Enjoy!

- Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 27th 04, 07:50 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Well done! Here's to complete recovery and lots of cycling

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old April 27th 04, 04:51 PM
Marlene Blanshay

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Marlene Blanshay" writes:

Needless to say it'll be a while before I'm back to where I was, but it

was
just so great to be out on the road! The weather is also cooperating,
supposed to warm up at the end of the week to the low 70s this weekend!

The
first really nice day of the spring and I won't miss it! Wheee! Not to
mention that I need some sun. I look like something that died and was

dug
up.

I'm glad you're back on your bike where you belong.

I've been resuscitating my bike tan for the last
couple of days, too.

I guess you've got lots of lost (riding) time to make
up for, now. Enjoy!

Well not that much lost time- april is iffy around here and it's been a
crappy april. THe good weather is starting this week, looks like I missed
most of knickers weather and go right into shorts! Although it still can be
plenty cool in the mornings.

Old May 8th 04, 03:16 PM
Stephanie

It is indeed great to be back after triple bypass surgery in the end of
February. I did a five miler Thursday and a ten miler on Friday South of
Boston.
Last year I was doing some sprint triathlons, this year I'm happy to do ten
miles.

Old May 8th 04, 03:43 PM
Chris

I'm curious- I know heart disease isn't always for the unhealthy but I
wonder if you know what caused yours? If you were doing sprint marathons I
would assume you were in great shape right?

Thanks

Chris

Old May 8th 04, 04:16 PM
Stephanie

Did you ever hear of Jim Fixx? He wrote the book on running in the late
70's that got everyone out jogging. He dropped dead while running a few
years back because of severely blocked arteries. My problem was also
blockage in three arteries. One 95% blocked, the other two over 75% blocked.
I'm 58 and have a family history of heart disease. I was lucky I got tested
when the problem first manifested itself.

Old May 8th 04, 04:59 PM
Marlene Blanshay

"Stephanie" wrote in message
It is indeed great to be back after triple bypass surgery in the end of
February. I did a five miler Thursday and a ten miler on Friday South of
Boston.
Last year I was doing some sprint triathlons, this year I'm happy to do

ten
miles.

OMG, triple bypass!

IT looks like we had our surgeries around the same time, and mine was also
pretty serious, since it was an emergency. However, I imagine with bypass
that it's important for you to get moving as soon as you can, for the
purpose of circulation. How long was it before you were able to get out and
on the bike?

It's enough for me to be on my bike at last and every time I've been going
on longer rides, but the weather hasn't been great so I haven't built up the
miles. Still, I am going to aim for a metric at the end of the month on the
long weekend! Before long you'll be back to normal. I know one guy who had
quadruple bypass and is doing triathlons again, although it took a while.
The only thing is he worries about crashing, because blood thinners make you
bleed like crazy!

Old May 8th 04, 05:04 PM
Marlene Blanshay

"Chris" wrote in message
I'm curious- I know heart disease isn't always for the unhealthy but I
wonder if you know what caused yours? If you were doing sprint marathons

would assume you were in great shape right?

Thanks

Sometimes it's congenital and fitness has nothing to do with it, except that
it may slow down the disese. I'm assuming chris isn't that old, so it sounds
like something that runs in the family. My father was never overweight, he
exercised, and hadn't smoked in 35 years, but he had bypass in his 60s. And
his sister, mother and aunt all had the same thing.They were all thin, and
non smokers, although my great aunt had been a smoker long ago. ANd all had
bypass! Needless to say, it concerns me that someday I'll have the same
thing so I check the cholesterol. But the way I understand it, if someone in
your family had bypass in their 60s, it's not as much of an inherited risk-
but let's say my father was 45,then that would increase my risk. OF course,
diet back then was different and people ate more fat, but some congenital
heart conditions aren't only about fitness or smoking.

Old May 8th 04, 05:08 PM
Marlene Blanshay

"Stephanie" wrote in message
Did you ever hear of Jim Fixx? He wrote the book on running in the late
70's that got everyone out jogging. He dropped dead while running a few
years back because of severely blocked arteries. My problem was also
blockage in three arteries. One 95% blocked, the other two over 75%

blocked.
I'm 58 and have a family history of heart disease. I was lucky I got

tested
when the problem first manifested itself.

Also dave Letterman. Remember when he had his bypass? He was only about 52.
His dad died very young from a heart attack. Heart disease is the big thing
in my family to. EVeryone should get tested anyways!

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
What Makes You A Cyclist? TheCyclist2002 General 87 March 21st 04 05:42 AM
Cyclist Marco Pantani's funeral draws thousands of mourners in Italy Garrison Hilliard General 2 February 21st 04 01:21 AM
cyclist shoots motorist Steven M. O'Neill General 145 February 19th 04 01:49 AM
Hog attacks cyclist in Hong Kong Scott Munro General 4 September 16th 03 05:05 PM