RFC: replacement candidate for 1st gen. front LED

Old November 29th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

Default RFC: replacement candidate for 1st gen. front LED

Well, I have what I believe must be a first generation LED front light
from VistaLight.
(sp?)
It has some greenish flashing LED's and runs off two AA batteries.

While I'm sure it works as designed, it's pretty darn feeble by
today's standards...plus...I understand that VistaLite is actually out
of business these days. (am I showing my age?)

The question:

I am polling the r.b.t super-geniuses to solicit a replacement for
this light.

The *only* requirement is that it use AA ("Double-A") batteries, as
'D' and 'AA' is what I have standardized upon here for household/bike
use. (Although, truthfully, the way things are going, I think 'D'
batteries are pretty much extinct!)

Comments and recommendations, please?

Pureheart
Old November 29th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 29/11/11 13:21, pH wrote:
Well, I have what I believe must be a first generation LED front light
from VistaLight.
(sp?)
It has some greenish flashing LED's and runs off two AA batteries.

While I'm sure it works as designed, it's pretty darn feeble by
today's standards...plus...I understand that VistaLite is actually out
of business these days. (am I showing my age?)

The question:

I am polling the r.b.t super-geniuses to solicit a replacement for
this light.

The *only* requirement is that it use AA ("Double-A") batteries, as
'D' and 'AA' is what I have standardized upon here for household/bike
use. (Although, truthfully, the way things are going, I think 'D'
batteries are pretty much extinct!)

Comments and recommendations, please?

You've discounted lights that come with a rechargeable battery pack, and
dynamo powered lights?

--
JS
Old November 29th 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Nov 28, 6:29*pm, James wrote:
On 29/11/11 13:21, pH wrote:

[...]

Well, for *this* particular application...yes. (I am a big dynamo fan
in general).
Proprietary battery packs....no thank-you. NiMH AA's, of which I have
legion.

pH
Old November 29th 11, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Pankow

I'd suggest the Fenix L2D Premium Q5 flashlight. Supposedly puts out
180 lumens and has a runtime of just over 90 minutes with two 2700 mAh
NIMH batteries. Small and lightweight enough to put on your bars with a
lockblock.

Old November 29th 11, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

pH wrote:
On Nov 28, 6:29 pm, James wrote:
On 29/11/11 13:21, pH wrote:

[...]

I don't know but before you toss it, drop in a pair of new
quality AA alkalines. ISTR the early Vista were sensitive to
the difference. That was, what? almost twenty years ago?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 29th 11, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

pH wrote:

Well, I have what I believe must be a first generation LED front light
from VistaLight.
(sp?)
It has some greenish flashing LED's and runs off two AA batteries.

While I'm sure it works as designed, it's pretty darn feeble by
today's standards...plus...I understand that VistaLite is actually out
of business these days. (am I showing my age?)

The question:

I am polling the r.b.t super-geniuses to solicit a replacement for
this light.

The *only* requirement is that it use AA ("Double-A") batteries, as
'D' and 'AA' is what I *have standardized upon here for household/bike
use. *(Although, truthfully, the way things are going, I think 'D'
batteries are pretty much extinct!)

Cateye HL-EL135 is an excellent be-seen light that uses a pair of AA
batteries and comes with a no-tools-required mounting bracket. Planet
Bike's one- and two-watt Blaze lights also use 2xAA, and are brighter
than the Cateye at the expense of proportionally shorter runtime.

You could also consider using a light with built-in battery and
charging circuitry, such that the cell size becomes irrelevant.
Examples include the Lezyne Mini Drive and Knog Boomer Rechargeable.

There are lots of 1xAA and 2xAA LED flashlights available at
dealextreme.com, and many of them have flashing modes and low-
intensity modes.

Chalo
Old November 29th 11, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/28/2011 6:21 PM, pH wrote:

The *only* requirement is that it use AA ("Double-A") batteries, as
'D' and 'AA' is what I have standardized upon here for household/bike
use. (Although, truthfully, the way things are going, I think 'D'
batteries are pretty much extinct!)

As someone else posted, the Fenix 2AA lights are excellent.

A bit less expensive is http://s.dealextreme.com/search/44713

Surprisingly, there are not a lot of 3-5 mode AA flashlights.

I found a surprisingly good 3AA 3 mode light at our local electronics
flea market, but I have not seen it sold anywhere else. Unlike the Small
Sun ZY-A21 it cannot use 2, 3, or 4 AA batteries, only 3.

Use a suitable handlebar mount. I prefer ones made of aluminum or steel.

My spousal unit now uses a 3C light, but I think it's a bit bulky on the
handlebars http://i42.tinypic.com/1z5kg8w. At that level a separate
battery back is called for, but it's too much hassle because she has to
remove the lights when she parks at work.
Old November 29th 11, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 29/11/2011 02:21, pH wrote:
Well, I have what I believe must be a first generation LED front light
from VistaLight.
(sp?)
It has some greenish flashing LED's and runs off two AA batteries.

While I'm sure it works as designed, it's pretty darn feeble by
today's standards...plus...I understand that VistaLite is actually out
of business these days. (am I showing my age?)

The question:

I am polling the r.b.t super-geniuses to solicit a replacement for
this light.

The *only* requirement is that it use AA ("Double-A") batteries, as
'D' and 'AA' is what I have standardized upon here for household/bike
use. (Although, truthfully, the way things are going, I think 'D'
batteries are pretty much extinct!)

Comments and recommendations, please?

B+M Ixon IQ - a proper light for road use, with the beam set up right
for that. Lovely and bright for riding on unlit roads. 4xAA cells. But I
imagine you're looking to spend rather less.
Old November 29th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 29, 1:25*am, Chalo wrote:
pH wrote:

[...]

I like the PB be seen lights, especially the ability to easily procure
small parts to use them on multiple bikes.
Old November 29th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Nov 28, 9:21*pm, pH wrote:
Well, I have what I believe must be a first generation LED front light
from VistaLight.
(sp?)
It has some greenish flashing LED's and runs off two AA batteries.

While I'm sure it works as designed, it's pretty darn feeble by
today's standards...plus...I understand that VistaLite is actually out
of business these days. (am I showing my age?)

The question:

I am polling the r.b.t super-geniuses to solicit a replacement for
this light.

The *only* requirement is that it use AA ("Double-A") batteries, as
'D' and 'AA' is what I *have standardized upon here for household/bike
use. *(Although, truthfully, the way things are going, I think 'D'
batteries are pretty much extinct!)

Comments and recommendations, *please?

Pureheart

Something to think about is that something that uses "C" cells can run
off your NiMH AAs with some adapter sleeves, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/C-sized-Adapte.../dp/B000855034

(undoubtedly available cheaper elsewhere, that's just the first result
that came up.) That would allow you to use something like the Task
Force flashlight, which used a 3W Cree LED and was available at Lowe's
at least a couple years ago for about $30. I'm well set on lighting
now though so there may be a better bang for your buck option
available that's been introduced since I last looked around.

nate