Centennial Park (Sydney) speed limit

Old September 11th 03, 09:38 AM
Luther Blissett

Default Centennial Park (Sydney) speed limit

Does the 30km/h speed limit apply to bikes in Centennial Park?
Has anyone ever been busted for breaking it?

(I know I should look it up on the web but my browser is having a hissy
fit.)

- LB

Old September 11th 03, 10:29 AM
Arpit

heehhehe, 30km/h is pretty fast......

Old September 11th 03, 11:08 AM
Andrew Swan

Luther Blissett wrote:
Does the 30km/h speed limit apply to bikes in Centennial Park?
Has anyone ever been busted for breaking it?

(I know I should look it up on the web but my browser is having a hissy
fit.)

- LB

My speedo never seems to work in CP. Must be interference from all the
other cyclists' speedos/HRMs/etc. I've never seen anyone booked for
speeding though, nor for riding around the wrong way (I mean
anti-clockwise, not like this guy
http://retrorunningworld.free.fr/biking.htm).

But I do gesticulate wildly at motorists that are doing stupid-fast
speeds like 50 or so.

&roo

P.S. Time trialling in CP is really just a test of how fast you can get
to 30 and stay there.... ;-)

Old September 11th 03, 11:44 AM
Jonas

yep. my understanding is that if it's an RTA street posted speed limit on a
public road, it applies to all _vehicles_. i know of one guy who was fined
for exceeding the speed limit of a pushbike (elsewhere in sydney), tho i
haven't heard of many other similar stories nor seen speed traps in
centennial park. semi-equivalently, i know of a physics professor who
argued his way out of a radar speeding fine because of the possibilities of
great inaccuracies of the radar readings for very small vehicles.
jonas

Old September 11th 03, 12:13 PM
Suzy Jackson

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message

My speedo never seems to work in CP. Must be interference from all the
other cyclists' speedos/HRMs/etc. I've never seen anyone booked for
speeding though

Has a nasty effect on stopwatches too... Now 7.6km in 12:40 gives us...
yup, under 30km/h, sure. Yes officer!

But I do gesticulate wildly at motorists that are doing stupid-fast
speeds like 50 or so.

Yeah, lousy *******s, getting in the way and not moving over to let you past
when you're in the groove and down on the trialling bars.

Regards,

Suzy

Old September 13th 03, 11:26 PM
Luther Blissett

Jonas wrote:
yep. my understanding is that if it's an RTA street posted speed limit on a
public road, it applies to all _vehicles_. i know of one guy who was fined
for exceeding the speed limit of a pushbike (elsewhere in sydney), tho i
haven't heard of many other similar stories nor seen speed traps in
centennial park. semi-equivalently, i know of a physics professor who
argued his way out of a radar speeding fine because of the possibilities of
great inaccuracies of the radar readings for very small vehicles.
jonas

Does the 30km/h speed limit apply to bikes in Centennial Park?
Has anyone ever been busted for breaking it?

I thought so .. the other day I did 2 laps with the Ranger in his car 2
metres ahead of me for the full distance .. my speed never dropped below
28km/h, and he never went faster than 30km/h (cruise control?). I
suspected he was waiting for me to overtake him so so then he could give
me a lecture/ticket.

- LB

The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- WhyOff-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited Pablo Ricardo Mountain Biking 69 July 23rd 04 10:40 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
Upgrading from DT to STI, 7 to 8 speed Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 4 August 21st 03 02:45 PM