Cycle lane blocked by signs

Old July 28th 04, 12:54 PM
John Hearns

Default Cycle lane blocked by signs

Cycling east along the A206 Woolwich Road last night.
I'm not usually in favour of cycle lanes, but this is a fastish
dual carriageway, with a wide enough green painted cycle lane
which I was using.
Just came off a roundabout when confronted with a metal 'Men working'
sign in the cycle lane. White van was speeding past my ear at this point,
so I let discretion be the better part of valour and stopped till it came
past.
There are two hefty metal triangular signs, one after the other in the
cycle lane. And coming just after a roundabout makes them rather unsafe,
IMHO. There are some smal lroadworks further on, and the cycle lane is dug
up.

What does the gallery think - should I have put the signs up onto the
pavement? Would workmen get away with putting metal signs into a lane of
traffic without warning?
Old July 28th 04, 01:20 PM
Al C-F

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:54:50 +0100, John Hearns
wrote:

What does the gallery think - should I have put the signs up onto the
pavement?

No. Shift them a bit to the right - on to the road.
--

Cheers,

Al
Old July 28th 04, 01:23 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:54:50 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
[...]
Just came off a roundabout when confronted with a metal 'Men working'
sign in the cycle lane. White van was speeding past my ear at this point,
so I let discretion be the better part of valour and stopped till it came
past.

[...]
What does the gallery think - should I have put the signs up onto the
pavement?

Before you do make sure the pavement is wide enough for both the signs and
wheelchair users to pass.

Would workmen get away with putting metal signs into a lane of
traffic without warning?

They seem to get away with a lot.

Colin

Old July 28th 04, 01:50 PM
Paul - xxx

John Hearns typed:

What does the gallery think - should I have put the signs up onto the
pavement?

Nope .. move them further into the roadway, unless it's a wide pavement ..

Would workmen get away with putting metal signs into a lane of
traffic without warning?

Of course .. it's normal practice ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Old July 28th 04, 02:44 PM
Colin Blackburn

wrote:

What does the gallery think - should I have put the signs up onto the
pavement? Would workmen get away with putting metal signs into a lane of
traffic without warning?

I noticed those cycle lane works too.

The cycle lane is part of the Thames Cycle Route and is mandatory.
There is nothing to advise cyclists about how to proceed around the
cycle lane obstruction.

In the normal lane with the non-cycle traffic. A mandatory lane is there
to keep the cars out not the bikes in.

Colin
Old July 28th 04, 03:15 PM
John Hearns

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:52:13 +0100, Gonzalez wrote:

In the normal lane with the non-cycle traffic. A mandatory lane is there
to keep the cars out not the bikes in.

I know that, but I would hope for a sign saying, "Cyclists join main
carriageway", and a sign for cars saying, "Give way to cyclists" at
the very minimum.

I agree. Keep in mind that these signs some within a few yards of a
roundabout, on a slight upwards gradient. Its not safe to suddenly
move into the normal lane at that point. Better further on when both cars
and cycles have 'sorted themselves out' after turning off the roundabout.
Looking at it from a drivers point of view, the next thing along the road
is a set of pedestrian lights (the roadworks are here). A driver should be
checking to see what state these lights are at, and won't expect a
cyclist to come in from the left suddenly.
That's what happened to me - I'm damn glad I glanced behind before
swerving to avoid this roadsign.
Old July 28th 04, 03:20 PM
Adrian Boliston

"Gonzalez" wrote in message

I know that, but I would hope for a sign saying, "Cyclists join main
carriageway", and a sign for cars saying, "Give way to cyclists" at
the very minimum.

Why should traffic give way? If I were cycling (or driving) along the main
carriageway I would not wish to be forced to give way to cyclists emerging from
another lane.

Old July 28th 04, 03:27 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

"Adrian Boliston" writes:

"Gonzalez" wrote in message

I know that, but I would hope for a sign saying, "Cyclists join main
carriageway", and a sign for cars saying, "Give way to cyclists" at
the very minimum.

Why should traffic give way? If I were cycling (or driving) along the main
carriageway I would not wish to be forced to give way to cyclists emerging from
another lane.

I think it's hyperbole. The point is that it's not acceptable to block
off a traffic lane that soon after a roundabout.

Old July 28th 04, 04:06 PM
David Hansen

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:54:50 +0100 someone who may be John Hearns
wrote this:-

There are two hefty metal triangular signs, one after the other in the
cycle lane. And coming just after a roundabout makes them rather unsafe,
IMHO. There are some smal lroadworks further on, and the cycle lane is dug
up.

Is it just the cycle lane that is dug up? If so then suggest smaller
signs to the council.

What do they have to say about it anyway?

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old July 28th 04, 05:10 PM
Philip TAYLOR

Gonzalez wrote:

[snip]

Unfortunately that too is being dug up and there is a sign which
commands, "Cyclists dismount" and "Bus lane suspended 7am - 10am".

Does /anyone/ (amongst the readers of U.R.Cycling, that is) ever
obey one of those d@mned "Cyclists dismount" signs ? I certainly
don't, but I'm still waiting for the day when I see a "Motorists
get out and push" sign to match ...

** Phil.

South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'... Howard UK 363 July 20th 04 11:42 PM
Blackfriars Bridge cycle lane removed. Richard UK 59 June 5th 04 11:06 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Another cycle farcility Tim Hall UK 6 August 26th 03 10:14 PM
Lane Cove to North Sydney - Suggestions for cycle commute? Dave_H Australia 12 August 21st 03 01:16 PM