General tire issue, major hassle

Old October 18th 05, 12:46 PM
Jon Meinecke

Default General tire issue, major hassle

Getting tires onto and off of the rims on my Volae is a
major production. Two different brands of tires, the
original Contis and replacement Kendas are just very
tight.

I purchased a Crank Brothers Speed Lever tool and
used it according to directions, including lubricating the
tire bead. Not much help,-- it tends to bind and not
slide and I'm reluctant to force it lest it break or damage
the tire.

Any one have trade secrets or incantations for handling
tight tires installation and removal? Is the rims, the
tires, or just me? %^P

Thanks,

Jon Meinecke

Old October 19th 05, 12:16 AM

Are the tires the correct size for the rims?

High pressure tires are made pretty tight, otherwise they'd blow off
the rims.
Old October 19th 05, 05:01 AM
Mark Leuck

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message
news:1129635833.45d78f60741630ddc83116a94c980aea@t eranews...
Getting tires onto and off of the rims on my Volae is a
major production. Two different brands of tires, the
original Contis and replacement Kendas are just very
tight.

I purchased a Crank Brothers Speed Lever tool and
used it according to directions, including lubricating the
tire bead. Not much help,-- it tends to bind and not
slide and I'm reluctant to force it lest it break or damage
the tire.

Any one have trade secrets or incantations for handling
tight tires installation and removal? Is the rims, the
tires, or just me? %^P

Thanks,

Jon Meinecke

I've had quite a lesson these last 2 weeks changing tires, (5 flats) I
assume you are having problems with the 20" wheel(s) since they can be much
harder to install.

Old October 19th 05, 12:26 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Mark Leuck" wrote

I've had quite a lesson these last 2 weeks changing tires, (5 flats) I

5 in two weeks beats my record of 4 in two weeks, but I once
had three out of four of the tires flat on two different bikes in two
days including a sidewall blowout. I had previously gone more
than a year without changing a tube on the road.

assume you are having problems with the 20" wheel(s) since
they can be much harder to install.

Actually, they are 650c rims/tires. Velocity Uriel wheels and
Conti Gatorskin tires as well as Kenda Koncept tires. Tires
are narrow (23) as are rims.

I've tried the push away with heels of hands recommended procedure,
and as I said, the Crank Bros Speed Lever without much success.

Jon Meinecke

Old October 19th 05, 12:44 PM
David Martin

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:01:21 -0500, "Mark Leuck"
wrote:

[...]

Sometimes the old tools still are the best.

Park tools sells 9" long aluminum tire tools. They are heavy and not a
lot of fun to carry with you on a daily basis, but they work. Use care
to avoid pinching the tube and you can get even very tight 20" tires
replaced properly.

I rode cross-country with a group this summer and used these on
someone's tires about every other day. My personal record was three
flats the same day (Interstate tire wires).

If Hostel shop does not stock them, they can order them for you.
Old October 19th 05, 01:15 PM
Jon Meinecke

"David Martin" wrote

"Jon Meinecke" wrote

Getting tires onto and off of the rims on my Volae is a
major production.

Sometimes the old tools still are the best.

Park tools sells 9" long aluminum tire tools.

I can get tires back on using levers. I have Park plastic ones
are OK, -- probably not as good as the metal ones. Careful
is right to avoid pinching (ruined on tube that way). I may look
for the aluminum tire tools to keep at home.

The wheels/tires causing the tire changing grief are 650c. No
major issues with the 16", 20", and 700c wheels on my other
bikes.

Jon Meinecke

Old October 19th 05, 01:34 PM
rBOB

Some tire/rim combos are worse than others. I would ask the Hostel
Shoppe if they know of comparable tire that would be a looser fit on
these rims. A drastic measure would be to get a whole new wheel set
that works better for you.

I try avoid combos that require tools to mount the tires but as I get
older and my hand strength decreases, that criteria is getting harder
to meet. I recently had some 26" Armadillos that were impossible to
mount so I got rid of them. I bought some Performance brand tires that
fit better but in the end, those particular wheels/rims where tight
with every tire. I got a much better fit with another wheel set I had
on hand. The rim width was about the same on both sets. Some people
claim that the thickness of the rim tape makes a difference (thinner is
better) but I have never checked into this in any way. I use the
standard cloth adhesive tape on my wheels (forgot the name of the brand
but it's the one everybody sells). Good luck.

Old October 19th 05, 03:59 PM
gotbent

Koolstop Tire Bead Jack, Jack! Wheel diameter doesn't matter.
"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message
news:1129720989.f30940404f919567b797609337b0b39d@t eranews...
"Mark Leuck" wrote

Old October 19th 05, 04:05 PM
Jon Meinecke

"rBOB" wrote

Some tire/rim combos are worse than others. I would ask the Hostel
Shoppe if they know of comparable tire that would be a looser fit on
these rims.

There's not many choices for 650c tires.. Even fewer, when you're
as "cheap" as I am. %^)

The Conti Gatorskins were original equipment from Volae
and were difficult to get back on. Not much easier than the
Kendas, if at all.

The Gatorskins must be fairly high carbon content because
every time I had to change a tube, my hands got filthy (even
wiping tires with a rag). I laid the rim down on the kitchen
floor and when I picked it up noticed a circle of "soot".

I like the Kenda Koncepts. Particularly for the price, they roll
well and are pretty tough. I've used similar model Kenda tires
on my 700c Tour Easy rear wheel and gotten very good mileage
out of them. I've only had them on the Volae for 500 miles
or so. Got a goat-head (sand burr) puncture in the sidewall.

A drastic measure would be to get a whole new wheel set
that works better for you.

That would be drastic! The Uriel wheelset is more than $300. %^P
I bought the bike used, -- it's a Volae Sport model. The Uriel
wheels were an upgrade specified by the original owner... Except
for a broken spoke (from bounced road debris) the wheels have
been trouble free and true.

I try avoid combos that require tools to mount the tires

Me too. I can't think of much that I hate worse than struggling
to get a tire off and on squatting beside the road in 100+ degree
heat, dripping sweat and dodging fire ants... %^P

Some people claim that the thickness of the rim tape makes
a difference (thinner is better)

Rim tape seems reasonably thin.

Thanks for the response.

Jon Meinecke

Old October 19th 05, 04:46 PM
rBOB

There's not many choices for 650c tires.. Even fewer, when you're
as "cheap" as I am. %^)

I empathize. I am cheap too. That's one reason I dislike oddball wheel
sizes but I don't know much about these bikes and I am sure there is a
reason for selecting that size. 650B is another size that seems all the
rage in the upright bike world now. Beats me why though.

A drastic measure would be to get a whole new wheel set
that works better for you.

That would be drastic! The Uriel wheelset is more than $300.

I see your point. However, high quality bike stuff has good resale
value. Ebay has made cheapskates like me more adventurous in trying
expensive bike stuff (knowing I can unload it pretty easily if
necessary). Of course, you'd have to make sure you had a better
wheel/tire option first.

I can't think of much that I hate worse than struggling
to get a tire off and on squatting beside the road in 100+ degree
heat, dripping sweat and dodging fire ants... %^P

That's bad but in the cold with a little rain or snow falling, my 47
year-old hands freeze solid and I have no chance at all. I might as
well call the wife to bring the car--and a thermos of hot cocoa while
she is at it. Oh my...where did the years go? I used to be young once.

Best of luck to you.