Overtaking & Filtering at Pedestrian Crossings

Old November 10th 08, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

Default Overtaking & Filtering at Pedestrian Crossings

When traffic is flowing and I am passing over a pedestrian crossing on a
pedal cycle, I often have motorists overtake. This is clearly a breach of HC
191.

However, if traffic is slow or stopped, I filter on the right but rejoin the
traffic flow through the zig-zags, so as not to breach that same rule.

I'm wondering, am I being overcautious here? The majority of drivers are
quite willing to overtake on the zig-zags though the crossing, and it is
they who pose the most threat to the pedestrians. But, if I were to
carefully filter through the crossing when traffic is slow or stopped
(obviously giving way to pedestrians) I don't actually think I would be
causing the danger that the drivers do when they overtake me.

What does everyone else do?

Old November 10th 08, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

"AndyC" writes:

When traffic is flowing and I am passing over a pedestrian crossing on a
pedal cycle, I often have motorists overtake. This is clearly a breach of HC
191.

I assume the rule exists principally because the vehicle you are
overtaking may be obstructing your seeing a pedestrian, therefore
it's harder than usual to know whether the manoeuvre is safe.

If the traffic is stopped or crawling, personally I'd continue to
filter but apply extreme caution (i.e. walking pace or below) - just
as for anywhere else that pedestrians are likely to cross in stopped
traffic. Just cos you can't see anyone over the top of the cars
doesn't mean there might not be a child or a wheelchair user or
someone fallen in the road.

-dan
Old November 10th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Woodall

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:09:49 -0000,
AndyC wrote:
When traffic is flowing and I am passing over a pedestrian crossing on a
pedal cycle, I often have motorists overtake. This is clearly a breach of HC
191.

However, if traffic is slow or stopped, I filter on the right but rejoin the
traffic flow through the zig-zags, so as not to breach that same rule.

I'm wondering, am I being overcautious here? The majority of drivers are
quite willing to overtake on the zig-zags though the crossing, and it is
they who pose the most threat to the pedestrians. But, if I were to
carefully filter through the crossing when traffic is slow or stopped
(obviously giving way to pedestrians) I don't actually think I would be
causing the danger that the drivers do when they overtake me.

What does everyone else do?

No MOTOR vehicle may overtake a MOTOR vehicle nearest to and
approaching a pedestrian crossing.

No MOTOR vehicle may overtake a vehicle stopped at the crossing (and the
vehicle is the forward most vehicle stopped in order to comply with the
crossing)

Cars can overtake bikes and bikes can overtake cars when they are moving
along the road, even in the zig-zag area of the crossing.

Bikes can overtake a car that has stopped at the crossing - this means,
for example, that if there is a zebra crossing where the car cannot yet
proceed but a bicycle alongside it can, then the bicycle can overtake
the car and continue. But if the bicycle is still stopped then a car
cannot overtake. However, there is a complication when there are
multiple lanes - so the "overtaking" would probably only apply where the
car or bike crosses over onto the opposing carriageway. If the bike's
stopped near the curb and the car near the centre then either can
(probably) proceed first.

All "bike" references above are to bicycles - motorbikes are MOTOR
vehicles like cars.

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/
Old November 10th 08, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

wrote:

When traffic is flowing and I am passing over a pedestrian crossing on a
pedal cycle, I often have motorists overtake. This is clearly a breach of HC
191.

However, if traffic is slow or stopped, I filter on the right but rejoin the
traffic flow through the zig-zags, so as not to breach that same rule.

When you say "filter" on the right - I assume you mean "overtake" on
the right; if you are "filtering" past the nearest vehicle to the
crossing then you are breaking the same rule.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit
Old November 10th 08, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

AndyC wrote:
[...]

You may well be right - but can you give a reference to the relevant
section in the RTA because the Highway Code does not restrict to MOTOR
vehicles:

165

You MUST NOT overtake
* the nearest vehicle to a pedestrian crossing, especially when it
has stopped to let pedestrians cross

Also the BBC appear to be wrong:

How to Use a Zebra Crossing for Drivers, Motorcyclists and Cyclists

It is illegal to park on the crossing or on the zigzag lines. If you
do, you face a fine and penalty points on your driving licence if you
are in a motor vehicle. It is also illegal to overtake on any part of
the crossing - either moving vehicles, or the closest stopped vehicle.
Even if you can't see anyone on the crossing, be sure not to overtake.
It's possible that a small child or wheelchair user is obscured by the
car in front. If a pedestrian is already on the crossing you must give
way.

Do not wave anyone across, as this could be dangerous if another
vehicle is approaching from the other direction, or a motorbike is
overtaking you. Be aware of anyone crossing from the other direction,
or stepping onto the crossing after the first pedestrian. Remember to
use your handbrake, and don't harass pedestrians on the crossing by
revving your engine.

In queuing traffic the crossing must be kept clear.

Cyclists should remember that they are also bound by these rules, and
should only use the crossing themselves if they dismount and push
their cycle.
Old November 10th 08, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 10/11/2008 18:09, AndyC wrote:
When traffic is flowing and I am passing over a pedestrian crossing on a
pedal cycle, I often have motorists overtake. This is clearly a breach of HC
191.

However, if traffic is slow or stopped, I filter on the right but rejoin the
traffic flow through the zig-zags, so as not to breach that same rule.

The legislation to which the rule refers applies only to motor vehicles.
See past threads.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
Old November 10th 08, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

AndyC wrote:

When traffic is flowing and I am passing over a pedestrian crossing on a
pedal cycle, I often have motorists overtake. This is clearly a breach of HC
191.

It is a breach of that rule (and the underlying regulations) only if:

(a) you are in or on a motor vehicle, or

(b) whether or not in or one a motor vehicle, you have stopped on the
approach side and are in or on the nearest vehicle to the crossing.

The driver or rider of a motor vehicle may not overtake another *motor*
vehicle which is the nearest vehicle to the pedestrian part of the crossing,
on the approach side. It's a bit like the offside rule...

The driver or rider of a motor vehicle may not overtake *any vehicle*
(including a bicycle) which is stationary on the approach side.

See Regulation 24: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1997/240001-a.htm#24

QUOTE:
24. - (1) Whilst any motor vehicle (in this regulation called "the
approaching vehicle") or any part of it is within the limits of a controlled
area and is proceeding towards the crossing, the driver of the vehicle shall
not cause it or any part of it -

(a) to pass ahead of the foremost part of any other motor vehicle proceeding
in the same direction; or

(b) to pass ahead of the foremost part of a vehicle which is stationary for
the purpose of complying with regulation 23, 25 or 26.

(2) In paragraph (1) -

(a) the reference to a motor vehicle in sub-paragraph (a) is, in a case where
more than one motor vehicle is proceeding in the same direction as the
approaching vehicle in a controlled area, a reference to the motor vehicle
nearest to the crossing; and

(b) the reference to a stationary vehicle is, in a case where more than one
vehicle is stationary in a controlled area for the purpose of complying with
regulation 23, 25 or 26, a reference to the stationary vehicle nearest the
crossing.
ENDQUOTE

Note in particular that there is no prohibition on overtaking a moving
bicycle at a crossing.

However, if traffic is slow or stopped, I filter on the right but rejoin the
traffic flow through the zig-zags, so as not to breach that same rule.

???

The rule (about overtaking) doesn't apply to pedal-cycles, only to
motor-vehicles.

I'm wondering, am I being overcautious here? The majority of drivers are
quite willing to overtake on the zig-zags though the crossing, and it is
they who pose the most threat to the pedestrians. But, if I were to
carefully filter through the crossing when traffic is slow or stopped
(obviously giving way to pedestrians) I don't actually think I would be
causing the danger that the drivers do when they overtake me.

That would not be an offence unless you overtook the nearest vehicle to the
crossing.

What does everyone else do?