28-hole front wheel on/for Stratus

Old August 9th 04, 03:51 AM
M. Chandler

Default 28-hole front wheel on/for Stratus

I'm thinking of lacing up a 28-hole front wheel for my Stratus. Nothing too
fancy--probably an Ultegra hub and Sun CR-18 rim (15g spokes). I figure the
the stock, 36-hole wheel is overkill, so I'm thinking that a 28 might be
fun.

Anyone already tried this?

Old August 9th 04, 01:29 PM
Jack Davis

"M. Chandler" wrote in message
I'm thinking of lacing up a 28-hole front wheel for my Stratus. Nothing

too
fancy--probably an Ultegra hub and Sun CR-18 rim (15g spokes). I figure

the
the stock, 36-hole wheel is overkill, so I'm thinking that a 28 might be
fun.

Anyone already tried this?

No but we tried this....

http://www.shoprans.com/VelocityWheels.asp

Why go half-way!?

jd

Old August 9th 04, 10:35 PM
M. Chandler

"Jack Davis" wrote in message
m...

"M. Chandler" wrote in message
I'm thinking of lacing up a 28-hole front wheel for my Stratus. Nothing

too
fancy--probably an Ultegra hub and Sun CR-18 rim (15g spokes). I figure

the
the stock, 36-hole wheel is overkill, so I'm thinking that a 28 might be
fun.

Anyone already tried this?

No but we tried this....

http://www.shoprans.com/VelocityWheels.asp

Why go half-way!?

Because I could build up the aforementioned wheel for a fraction of the cost
of a pair of Thracians?

Old August 9th 04, 11:25 PM
Tom Blum

"M. Chandler" wrote in message
I'm thinking of lacing up a 28-hole front wheel for my Stratus. Nothing

too
fancy--probably an Ultegra hub and Sun CR-18 rim (15g spokes). I figure

the
the stock, 36-hole wheel is overkill, so I'm thinking that a 28 might be
fun.

Anyone already tried this?

I have a 406 wheel , allegedly from a P38, which has a Sun aero rim, a
Shimano XT hub and 28 spokes in a radial pattern.

I have used this wheel for thousands of miles on various bents without
problems.

Miles o Smiles
Tom

Old August 11th 04, 04:07 AM
Jack Davis

"M. Chandler" wrote in message

"Jack Davis" wrote in message
m...

"M. Chandler" wrote in message
I'm thinking of lacing up a 28-hole front wheel for my Stratus.

Nothing
too
fancy--probably an Ultegra hub and Sun CR-18 rim (15g spokes). I

figure
the
the stock, 36-hole wheel is overkill, so I'm thinking that a 28 might

be
fun.

Anyone already tried this?

No but we tried this....

http://www.shoprans.com/VelocityWheels.asp

Why go half-way!?

Because I could build up the aforementioned wheel for a fraction of the

cost
of a pair of Thracians?

Actually....the rear Thracian has needed a lot of maintenence....lose
spokes, blow-outs, etc.
jd

Old August 19th 04, 12:47 AM
Jack Davis

"Jack Davis" wrote in message
. com...

"M. Chandler" wrote in message

"Jack Davis" wrote in message
m...

"M. Chandler" wrote in message
[...]

PS....FYI...TWIMC...Velocity has excellent customer service.

Old August 19th 04, 05:03 PM
Jeff Wills

"M. Chandler" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of lacing up a 28-hole front wheel for my Stratus. Nothing too
fancy--probably an Ultegra hub and Sun CR-18 rim (15g spokes). I figure the
the stock, 36-hole wheel is overkill, so I'm thinking that a 28 might be
fun.

Anyone already tried this?

I built a 28-spoke, Ultegra-hub, CR-18 rim wheel for my P-38 several
years ago. After I sold the P-38, I put the wheel on my wife's Tour
Easy. It's seen several Cycle Oregons and one Oregon Bicycle Ride
(last week). It's still in perfect shape.

Jeff
Old August 19th 04, 06:05 PM
M. Chandler

"Jeff Wills" wrote in message
om...
"M. Chandler" wrote in message

I'm thinking of lacing up a 28-hole front wheel for my Stratus. Nothing

too
fancy--probably an Ultegra hub and Sun CR-18 rim (15g spokes). I figure

the
the stock, 36-hole wheel is overkill, so I'm thinking that a 28 might be
fun.

Anyone already tried this?

I built a 28-spoke, Ultegra-hub, CR-18 rim wheel for my P-38 several
years ago. After I sold the P-38, I put the wheel on my wife's Tour
Easy. It's seen several Cycle Oregons and one Oregon Bicycle Ride
(last week). It's still in perfect shape.

Thanks for the info. Because it was so difficult finding a 28-hole rim, I
opted for 32 holes, instead (I was able to get a set of barely used LX hubs
on eBay for the price of one Ultegra front hub).