Family Bike Trip L.A.- San Diego 12/26/04- 1/1/05- want to go?

Old November 18th 04, 05:02 AM
Glen Beer

Default Family Bike Trip L.A.- San Diego 12/26/04- 1/1/05- want to go?

My family is taking our fifth annual ride to San Diego this holiday season
and we thought we would try to invite others to ride with us.

We start in Seal Beach and ride a leisurly 20- 45 miles per day. We have
panniers, but stay in (nice) hotels and eat at restaurants. It's really a
family vacation by bicycle. Our style is called "credit card touring"

Last year we invited some relatives and had a group of 8 with ages from 10
to 58. My family includes me and my wife, a late 40's couple, plus our
teens, a boy, 16 and a girl, 14. This will be my sixth ride from L.A. to San
Diego, and even though it is fairly easy and tame, it is so georgous that I
never tire of the route, with about 1/2 on bike paths and 1/2 on the street.
My favorite parts are Huntington Beach Bike path, Crystal Cove State Park,
Camp Pendleton, Carlsbad and Leucadia. My son rode the trip when he was 10
and so did my 10 year old niece last year. Twice I pulled my daugher on an
alley cat. There is a big hill from Del Mar to La Jolla and some medium
hills south of Laguna. Total mileage is about 150 or so over five nights.

I've made our reservations in various hotels along the way. Various other
leisure activities are planned along the way. We'll spend 2 nights
including New Years Eve in Downtown San Diego near the Gaslamp district.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Glen

Old November 18th 04, 03:31 PM
Martha J. Retallick

Although I have other commitments during this time period, it sounds
like you're organizing a fun ride. Enjoy every pedal stroke of it!

Martha Retallick
Tucson, Arizona, USA

Bicycling postcards, notecards, coffee mugs,
lunchboxes, tile boxes and more!
http://www.CafeShops.com/Postcarder

Old November 18th 04, 03:45 PM
Beverly

This sounds like a wonderful ride. I'm sorry I live in Ohio and won't be
able to make it. Enjoy the ride!

Beverly

Old November 18th 04, 05:29 PM
David Horwitt

Glen Beer wrote:

My favorite parts are Huntington Beach Bike path, Crystal Cove State Park,
Camp Pendleton, Carlsbad and Leucadia. My son rode the trip when he was 10
and so did my 10 year old niece last year. Twice I pulled my daugher on an
alley cat. There is a big hill from Del Mar to La Jolla and some medium
hills south of Laguna. Total mileage is about 150 or so over five nights.

Ensure that you can get your group through Camp Pendleton; they seem to be getting
stricter about letting people through (ie ex-military cannot always escort others
through like they used to).

Otherwise, you'll be on the freeway; not the end of the world, but not as nice as
through the base.

David Horwitt

Old November 21st 04, 06:40 PM
magicant2000

I rode LA to SD last summer and couldn't go through the base. It was
my first time riding that stretch of freeway - safe enough, but odd to
have trucks traveling 70 mph right past you. Fortunately, the portion
on the freeway is only 5 miles or so, I believe? Much shorter than the
ride through the base.

Old November 23rd 04, 02:28 AM
Jee Doy

My family is taking our fifth annual ride to San Diego this holiday season
and we thought we would try to invite others to ride with us.

Once you reach the destination, do you take the Amtrak back?