Evening Standard Article

Old March 24th 05, 09:10 AM
David Martin

Default Evening Standard Article

Remarkably positive for a change..

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/...vening%20Stand
ard

...d

Old March 24th 05, 10:25 AM
Simon Mason

"David Martin" wrote in message
Remarkably positive for a change..

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/...vening%20Stand
ard

If he'd chained his bike to Buck House railings it would be removed and his
lock destroyed, I think. :-(
--
Simon M.

Old March 24th 05, 10:40 AM
Tilly

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:25:38 -0000, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"David Martin" wrote in message
Remarkably positive for a change..

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/...vening%20Stand
ard

If he'd chained his bike to Buck House railings it would be removed and his
lock destroyed, I think. :-(

Surely the Queen has provision for guests to arrive at her home by
means other than horseback or motor propelled vehicle.
Old March 24th 05, 10:53 AM
dkahn400

Tilly wrote:

Surely the Queen has provision for guests to arrive at her home
by means other than horseback or motor propelled vehicle.

ISTR that when Hugh Porter collected his MBE from Mrs. Queen he rode to
the palace on his bike as a protest against the lack of funding for
cyclists.

--
Dave...

Old March 24th 05, 01:04 PM
Tony W

"Tilly" wrote in message

Surely the Queen has provision for guests to arrive at her home by
means other than horseback or motor propelled vehicle.

Only to the servant's entrance.

Old March 24th 05, 01:30 PM
David Hansen

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:40:35 +0000 someone who may be Tilly
wrote this:-

Surely the Queen has provision for guests to arrive at her home by
means other than horseback or motor propelled vehicle.

They can arrive by helicopter. They can arrive by horse drawn
vehicle. Probably even on foot. Cycling is probably not the done
thing, though often the servants are/were grander then the family in
a big house.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old March 24th 05, 01:39 PM
Tony Raven

David Hansen wrote:

They can arrive by helicopter. They can arrive by horse drawn
vehicle. Probably even on foot. Cycling is probably not the done
thing, though often the servants are/were grander then the family in
a big house.

I am sure a cycle would be just as welcome. Often the perception is not
matched by the reality. I can just see the exchange:
"I'm sorry sir, you can't come here on a bicycle"
"But I have an appointment with the Queen"
"I'm sorry sir, I'll inform Her Majesty that I've cancelled her
appointment with you because you arrived inappropriately"

Tony

Old March 24th 05, 05:06 PM
JBB

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
David Hansen wrote:

They can arrive by helicopter. They can arrive by horse drawn
vehicle. Probably even on foot. Cycling is probably not the done
thing, though often the servants are/were grander then the family in
a big house.

I am sure a cycle would be just as welcome. Often the perception is not
matched by the reality. I can just see the exchange:
"I'm sorry sir, you can't come here on a bicycle"
"But I have an appointment with the Queen"
"I'm sorry sir, I'll inform Her Majesty that I've cancelled her
appointment with you because you arrived inappropriately"

Tony

On the other hand.. Some years ago my husband went to a strategy conference
at Chewton Glen ( www.chewtonglen.com - rates start at £200 ppn). As he knew
he would probably be eating and drinking more than normal he put his
mountain bike on the back of the car so he could get some exercise. First
morning out he goes, gets back sweaty and messy and starts to put his bike
back on the rack; at this point he is interupted by a member of staff who
infoms "Sir" that the hotel has secure storage for bikes and that all he has
to do the next time he wishes to use is to ask at the desk. So next morning
he goes to the desk clad in T-shirt and muddy shorts and asks for his
bicyle. This no only appears promptly but is all sparkly and clean - so some
people know how to look after cyclists!

Julia

Old March 24th 05, 06:18 PM
Tony Raven

JBB wrote:

On the other hand.. Some years ago my husband went to a strategy conference
at Chewton Glen ( www.chewtonglen.com - rates start at £200 ppn). As he knew
he would probably be eating and drinking more than normal he put his
mountain bike on the back of the car so he could get some exercise. First
morning out he goes, gets back sweaty and messy and starts to put his bike
back on the rack; at this point he is interupted by a member of staff who
infoms "Sir" that the hotel has secure storage for bikes and that all he has
to do the next time he wishes to use is to ask at the desk. So next morning
he goes to the desk clad in T-shirt and muddy shorts and asks for his
bicyle. This no only appears promptly but is all sparkly and clean - so some
people know how to look after cyclists!

I like it. The best I've had was at the St David's Hotel & Spa in
Cardiff where I cycled up on my Brompton and the formally dressed
elderly doorman approached me as I stepped off the bike and said "May I
take that for you sir" and whisked it away for me. I later found out
that the hotel owner, Sir Rocco Forte, is a keen cyclist.

Tony
Old March 24th 05, 10:12 PM
Tony W

"Tony Raven" wrote in message

I like it. The best I've had was at the St David's Hotel & Spa in
Cardiff where I cycled up on my Brompton and the formally dressed
elderly doorman approached me as I stepped off the bike and said "May I
take that for you sir" and whisked it away for me. I later found out
that the hotel owner, Sir Rocco Forte, is a keen cyclist.

Cycling up to the door of the Metropolitan Hotel in Delhi to be intersected
and informed by a guy in a very strange get up vaguely reminiscent of the
Raj that bicycles could not be taken to the door.

However, if Sir would leave it with him it would be stored safely until Sir
next required it.

Sir next required it half an hour later to do some serious fettling -- which
guy in strange get up assisted (most competently) with -- after which it was
stored until I required it again and another flunky -- I think one of the
gardeners -- was dispatched to guide me to the railway station by the simple
method of riding along with me on his ancient Hero.

No clean & polish though.

:~(