mounting

Old May 1st 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
someunicyclist

Default mounting

i have been riding for 3 weeks now and i am trying to freemount.
however, i can't seem to do it right. i do a sort of half static, half
rollback mount. i set up with cranks at 4 and 10 position and step on
the back one, causing the wheel to go under me (duh). however, the
cranks get stuck in dead position. i can sometimes get out of this by
leaning forward a lot but only sometimes. usually i just fall off in
some direction. any suggestions?
by the way i was trying to learn static mount but i couldnt get on fast
enough so then i tried rollback mount and couldnt get the cranks to
keep going back so i ended up with this weird mount.
edit: i did use the search button but i was wondering if anyone else
did this weird mount and how they fixed the problem.

--
someunicyclist
Old May 1st 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hugo

I got suck in dead position too. I then actively pushed the upper pedal
backwards with my left foot, which caused the wheel to roll back a
little further (and the body to lean forward) so that I could then push
the right pedal down to start moving forward.

From my own experience, the blocking factor is the anxiety of rolling a
little further backwards.

You'll need many tries, but you'll be successful.

'Look here too'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=69298), this is my
story. Might be very similar to your situation.

--
hugo

hugo
Old May 1st 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

someunicyclist wrote:
?

When you roll back does back foot end up down or forwards? You want
your back foot to become your front foot.

I would try setting up your cranks at 9-3 or 10-4 like you are doing..
as long as the 10 foot is your back foot.

It sounds like you not getting enough roll and your back foot is
getting stuck down. If you roll back all the way so your back foot
becomes all the way level in the front(or a wee bit higher) you will be
able to get much more leverage to push yourself forward.

--
agentQ

'*)--SmallSpin-'O,*'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFMXG116BE)
'*)---TreFlip-'O,'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpT0YFDgmz4)
'*)--DoubbleFlip-'O,*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/683454)
---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
Old May 1st 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
someunicyclist

agentQ wrote:
when you roll back does back foot end up down or forwards?

my back foot ends up down.

here is how it goes:
1. the uni is in front, my left foot is on pedal at 4oclock position.
2. i apply pressure to left foot, uni rolls under me. i place right
foot on top pedal.
3. i get stuck in dead position.
my problem is that i cant get the uni to roll back any more.
how much pressure should be applied to the right foot? how far back
should the uni roll before i start to go forward?
another question: i am a righty; which foot should be my back foot?

edit: why is my quote thing in another language?

--
someunicyclist
Old May 1st 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

I think you should apply as little pressure as possible to the left
foot.

Think about having just broken your toe, and how little pressure you
would put on your foot if you had to step on it.

--
cathwood

Cathy
Old May 1st 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Try raising your back foot to 3 or 2 o'clock. You need to get that foot
past the down positions into the the front position at about 9 o'clock.

So it may help to:
1. Apply more pressure to your down stoke, but be ready to lift, or
release pressure to let the pedal keep moving on the up side.
2. Lean a bit more forward.
3. When you get your second foot onto the pedal use that foot to pedal
backwards until your cranks are horizontal.

You need to roll back further than you are, so you have enough leverage
to start pedaling forward.

Old May 1st 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniSano

Your problem is with:

"2. i apply pressure to left foot, uni rolls under me. i place right
foot on top pedal."

DON'T APPLY HEAVY PRESSURE! Basically your foot is just barely sitting
on the pedal and you sort of jump/hop off your foot that is on the
ground while still keeping LIGHT pressure on your left foot. As you
jump/hop up and slightly forward your right foot now comes to rest on
the right pedal and you ride off. At least this is way I mount... Good
Luck!

--
MuniSano
Old May 1st 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

To clear things up.... There is advice for different types of mounts
happening here.

ALL MY ADVICE IF FOR A ROLL BACK MOUNT.

Old May 1st 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
someunicyclist

which mount is easier for me (a beginner)?
i think it might be rollback because i doubt that im fast enough to get
on the uni for a static mount. or maybe its just in my head...
for the rollback, at which point do i lean more forward?

--
someunicyclist
Old May 1st 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

When I was learning I always rolled back when mounting.

Sorry the leaning forward is prolly not the best advice. You are not
leaning forward as much as trying to stay over top of that left pedal.
It starts in the back you are in back, you step on it and become on top
of the uni. Now as your right foot finds the other pedal you want to
push with the right foot while keeping control of the left pedal, which
is now in the forward position. You arn't gonna be leaning forward, but
you dont want to be so far back you cant push the pedal back down.
I'm sorry, that came out pretty confusing.

mounting SHAY_CAM Unicycling 0 May 1st 08 08:35 PM
Mounting... tjrook Unicycling 5 February 8th 07 07:15 PM
Mounting... thejdw Unicycling 12 February 8th 07 06:46 PM
Mounting! ackgot Unicycling 16 August 28th 06 04:47 PM
mounting help please? habbywall Unicycling 3 June 30th 05 02:50 PM