Todays ride

Old April 1st 20, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Todays ride

On 1/4/20 10:11 am, wrote:
My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious
reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and
windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at
a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the
right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk
over the fields all white itself. When he just passed me he went over
a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big
white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes.
some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25
km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

I rode around a loop from home of nearly 50km, that included probably
20km of gravel road. I rode my gravel bike but left my "rough road"
wheels on instead of swapping to the "off road" wheels that sport wider
more grippy tyres. That was a mistake. I had to walk up a couple of
short steep sections where I just couldn't find enough traction and
steering at low speed to maintain balance. There were also some very
wicked corrugations that made some corners a pretty wild ride.

But alas, no mountain lions, only wallabies, birds and a couple of cows.
No broken bike. No chain repairs with rocks and nails, etc. My
plastic bidon cages (now Lezyne brand because they seem to hold my new
bidons in better) didn't bust & my B&M headlight and SP dynamo hub is
fine and dandy also.

I even found time to stop a take a couple of photos and later attached
them to my Strava account for that ride.

--
JS
Old April 1st 20, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 2:57:38 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 1/4/20 10:11 am, wrote:
[...]

I don't have a speedo on my bike and despite the loop I've been making is almost entirely flat, my mileage is consistently 6% below what I've measured on very many bikes over the years. Even with manually measured rollouts. I discovered that the difference between the rollout and the brand of speedo standard stock setting was almost undetectable. That is why I have been so surprised at the distance difference with the GPS. I assume that this has something to do with the latitude.
Old April 1st 20, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 3:44:58 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
On 3/31/2020 5:38 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 18:45:57 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 3/31/2020 6:11 PM, wrote:
My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the right to let him pass.. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white itself. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

Let's hope it was chalk...

The most usual white dust like stuff applied to fields is crushed
limestone, sometimes called aglime. It is used to neutralize acidic
soil.

--
cheers,

John B.

Thanks, they use white dust around my home also (Willamette Valley
Oregon), and I've always wondered what it was. Your answer seems
likely, I think the soil is naturally acidic around here.

Mark J.

You'd better be careful and keep those pictures. Frank may want you to prove you have a bicycle.
Old April 1st 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 1/4/20 10:11 am, wrote:
[...]

Koalas? Please tell me there are some koalas left.

One of the guys who started Ibis bicycles was a friend of mine way back when, and I learned from yet another friend who had just returned from Australia, that Ibis are called "bin chickens" down there because they've learned how to get into garbage cans. That seems like a bad reflection on the bike brand. "I was out riding mah bin chicken!" Maybe they should pick another bird.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 2nd 20, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 01 Apr 2020 12:02:22 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

On 3/31/2020 6:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think you are right.

Both chalk and limestone are mostly calcium carbonate, CaCO3. Once
ground into powder it would probably take a microscope and more
mineralogy than I have to tell them apart.

According to the Wiki "Chalk is a soft, white, porous, sedimentary
carbonate rock, a form of limestone" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 2nd 20, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/4/20 10:11 am, wrote:
[...]

I think picking product names can be very tricky. A couple years ago I
restored a really sweet kids' bike, Italian made (I think), probably
from the 1960s. But I really wondered why they named the bike "Titanic."

I remember Jay Leno joking about GM's prototype electric car, back in
the 1990s. They called it the Impact.

Leno said "Impact? What kind of name is that for a car? Was 'Flaming
Ball of Death' taken?"

They later sold it (or maybe leased it) as the EV1, a much safer
moniker, probably chosen by some engineer.

Ah well. Choosing (hopefully) inspiring names gives the English majors
something to do.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 2nd 20, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 08:57:33 +1100, James
wrote:

On 1/4/20 10:11 am, wrote:
[...]

No fires? I thought you Australians did fires :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 2nd 20, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 1/4/20 10:11 am, wrote:
[...]

The Japanese automaker, Subaru, unveiled their latest model at the
2020 Singapore Motor Show, it is called the Forester Ultimate
Customised Kit Special edition.

Subsequently, according to a leaked letter published by The Drive, an
automotive news site, Subaru claimed that it had "had nothing to do
with" the car's "unfortunate" display name. The message, which was
reportedly sent to several American auto retailers, states that the
"F****" was created by a distributor for the motor show and not
condoned by Subaru.
:-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 2nd 20, 09:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 10:57:38 PM UTC+1, James wrote:
On 1/4/20 10:11 am, wrote:
[...]

However much the health authorities are paying you to keep would-be tours to Australia at home, the Tourist Board will pay you more. Just thought I'd mention it. -- AJ

TODAYS RIDE Andrew Chaplin Techniques 19 February 6th 18 04:46 PM
TODAYS RIDE [email protected] Techniques 355 September 20th 16 04:29 PM
TODAYS RIDE T0m $herman Techniques 104 October 20th 15 10:45 PM
TODAYS RIDE [email protected] Techniques 74 January 31st 15 04:47 PM
TODAYS RIDE 3 [email protected] Techniques 19 October 6th 14 03:00 AM