Economics not bicycle tech

Old April 8th 20, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Economics not bicycle tech

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 08:47:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 4:58:27 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/6/2020 6:43 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 2:07:01 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:

When Trump was a Democrat everyone was delighted with him and all said that he had no ego at all. ...

I always thought he was a dopey self-promoter, regardless of his political affiliation. Another narcissistic trust-fund baby building temples to himself -- between bankruptcies and booty-calls.

I thought about Trump almost not at all. What - a real estate guy who
slathers his name on every building that he puts up? Sounds very
egotistical. And a game show with a punch line "You're fired!"?? I don't
watch any game shows, and if I did, that would be low on the list.

Tom is making a common ideologue mistake: assuming everyone that
disagrees with him has exactly the same opinions.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Again and again you show your total ignorance of business. That is called "branding" and not egotism. Do you say that about Motel 6 or the Radisson chain? Every time you post you show why your life has been a failure and why your hatred for anyone and everyone around you is so intense.

O.K. Tommy, I get it. First you put a great big sign on the building,
"TRUMP whatever". And than you declare bankruptcy.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 8th 20, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 19:03:33 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 4/7/2020 5:19 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/7/2020 5:26 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 7:17:32 PM UTC-7, Ralph
Barone wrote:

It’s gonna be a hell of a shock when those people get
to the Pearly Gates
and find Buddha there.

So among your other talents you haven't any idea of what
Buddhism is?

Whatever... The point of this atheist’s post was that
with the
multiplicity of religions out there all praising their
“One True God�, if
there is an afterlife, there’s gonna be a lot of people
disappointed that
they bet on the wrong horse.

This non-atheist believes that all religions and even
non-religions are, at best, tremendous simplifications. And
only the most simplistic of minds hold perfectly literal
belief in every bit of their chosen dogma.

I think there is a reality beyond our personal
electro-chemical consciousness factories. But I think our
chance of thoroughly understanding that reality is about as
great as a pet goldfish's chance of understanding its
owner's reality.

You could embrace the new religion, face Mosinee Wisconsin
and give thanks for the sacred toilet paper we send out to
redeem the world. It's suddenly the only sacred artifact in
the nation.

(I don't understand this phenomenon either. It's mystical.)

Did y'all "send out" toilet paper? I thought that it was hoarded by
the multitudes and was no longer available in the "the land of the
free and the home of the brave (with dirty bums)"?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 8th 20, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Barone wrote:

[...]

It's made all over northern Wisconsin. I just picked Mosinee
because it's a paper plant town with an unusual name. We
have more.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 8th 20, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 9:03:19 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 19:03:33 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

You could embrace the new religion, face Mosinee Wisconsin
and give thanks for the sacred toilet paper we send out to
redeem the world. It's suddenly the only sacred artifact in
the nation.

(I don't understand this phenomenon either. It's mystical.)

Did y'all "send out" toilet paper? I thought that it was hoarded by
the multitudes and was no longer available in the "the land of the
free and the home of the brave (with dirty bums)"?

Oh, they're sending it out. My long haul trucker friend posted a
photo of a line of tractor trailers maybe a quarter mile long. They
were lined up to pick up shipments of toilet paper.

We went to the grocery today. On the twenty foot long double shelves
that are usually filled with packs of toilet paper, we saw two packs
of Charmin (6 rolls each) and maybe 20 individual discount rolls.
We snagged one Charmin pack. Woo hoo!

One interesting aspect: If this scare suddenly ends, the toilet paper
factories will have to shut down for a month or more. Nobody will
need to buy any for a long time.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 8th 20, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I think it will actually work out well for them. The toilet paper factories
are running flat out now. Once everybody has too much and the virus
situation continues to worsen, they can let their staff run off of their
banked overtime and stay home with pay.

Old April 8th 20, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Barone wrote:

[...]

There are probably toilet paper makers all along the northern portion
of the U.S., Growing up in New England I remember paper mills all
along the northern parts of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Probably
still there. Wherever trees grow :-)

Out of curiosity I researched toilet paper a bit and the largest
exporting countries are Germany ($395M) and China ($323M). The U.S.
is 7th with ($188M). The largest importers are the U.S. ($375M) and
Germany ($320). China appears to import none. Note the trade imbalance
in the U.S. trade.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 8th 20, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 19:03:33 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

(I don't understand this phenomenon either. It's mystical.)

The shortage is quite real.

Lots and lots of people used to spend more time in public places than
at home, but now nobody is going anywhere near a public toilet if he
can help it.

So the big commercial rolls are not being used. People are using
small domestic rolls instead.

The solution would be for stores that are still open to move some of
their commercial rolls from the supply closet to the merchandise
shelves, but there appears to be some overwhelming reason that they
can't do that -- at least nobody has advertised that they sell
commercial rolls.

Sherman & Lyn has a sign out front that says "TP 99c / pack".

Or they did the last time I rode a bike on Winona Avenue. A picture
of the sign has appeared in the newspaper since then.

If anybody could sell commercial rolls retail, Sherman & Lyn could.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old April 8th 20, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 02:35:18 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the problem is that while the U.S. exports some $188 million
worth of toilet paper it imports some $375 million worth. A short fall
of some 187 million dollars worth of toilet paper. Perhaps there
really is a shortage.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 8th 20, 11:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

AMuzi wrote:

- snip -

You could embrace the new religion, face Mosinee Wisconsin
and give thanks for the sacred toilet paper we send out to
redeem the world. It's suddenly the only sacred artifact in
the nation.

(I don't understand this phenomenon either. It's mystical.)

Sorry buddhists, sorry Mosinee, but with Doosan and Alfa-Laval probably
being way more adept than GM in building functioning respirators, Wisconsin
needs to get rid of the invasive Holsteins, instead let the bisons roam!
Exporting toilet paper is a logical complementary industry to the dairy
industry which feeds lactose intolance that causes (up to 85%, or more, of)
excessively high-tp consumption in the first place.

TP hoarding is simple to explain, of course:

- counterphobic tendency during uncertainty about escalation of shutdowns,
curfews
- fear for cleanliness; fear of regression, loss of control; refuge in
hyperconsumerism (Freud)
- hunter and gatherer (conservation-of-resources-theory, Hobfoll)
- imitation (compared to other cart items, high visibility of tp packs,
empty tp shelves)
- high size-to-price ratio; zero risk bias; logistics limitations
- per square inch, TP even cheaper than newsprint or Greek bonds (Varoufakis)
- fall within in hierarchy of needs (Maslow; Otsuki)
- prestige; differentiation (Veblen; Bourdieu)
- preparation for natural state (Hobbes)
- egocentric narcissism (Wardetzki)
- displacement activity (Tinbergen)

bicycle tech? AMuzi Techniques 2 July 22nd 15 04:04 AM
[Actual bicycle tech] BBB cassette NQR James[_8_] Techniques 6 October 31st 11 12:02 AM
Bicycle economics [email protected] Techniques 0 March 12th 09 04:20 PM
Understanding rec.bicycle.tech ratings? Tom Nakashima Techniques 8 April 17th 07 07:57 PM
Bicycle bell - apolitical tech query [email protected] UK 13 November 16th 06 11:21 PM