There are some odd drivers about!

Old April 4th 20, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default There are some odd drivers about!

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 12:45:00 PM UTC+1, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

Can car drivers wait more than 2 picoseconds before cutting past?

On narrow country lanes with oncomong cyclists, I will indicate left, pull over onto the verge and allow them to pass my stationary car in safety. When following cyclists, I will hang back for as long as it takes until a) it is safe to overtake with a wide berth, b) I turn off the road, or c) they turn off the road.
Old April 4th 20, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 12:45:00 PM UTC+1, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

Can car drivers wait more than 2 picoseconds before cutting past?

On narrow country lanes with oncoming cyclists, I will indicate left, pull over onto the verge and allow them to pass my stationary car in safety. When following cyclists, I will hang back for as long as it takes until a) it is safe to overtake with a wide berth, b) I turn off the road, or c) they turn off the road.
Old April 4th 20, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 04/04/2020 12:44, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 10:08:41 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

On 04/04/2020 00:07, TMS320 wrote:

On 03/04/2020 15:23, JNugent wrote:
On 03/04/2020 11:30, Simon Mason wrote:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/bur...-after-finding
-sex-4009671

The lay-by is often used by cyclists, is it?

First we need a definition of 'often'; such as more or less
frequently than drivers. If you had an answer, what pearls of wisdom
would you provide? There are only two scenarios, so you might as well
tell us anyway.

I have never been to the location, so I cannot and do not have an
answer to the question I asked.

Do you?

Though it looks like a decent enough refuge to pull out of the way of
a tailgating driver.

Do cyclists often show enough courtesy to move off or over to the
nearside of the carriageway when being followed by traffic which they
are inevitably holding up?

Can car drivers wait more than 2 picoseconds before cutting past?

What are you talking about?

I have never seen it happen, even though the Highway Code advises
drivers and riders of large *or* slow vehicles to do exactly that.

Old April 4th 20, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/bur...ng-sex-4009671

The lay-by is often used by cyclists, is it?

First we need a definition of 'often'; such as more or less
frequently than drivers. If you had an answer, what pearls of
wisdom would you provide? There are only two scenarios, so you
might as well tell us anyway.

I have never been to the location, so I cannot and do not have an
answer to the question I asked.

Do you?

You don't need an answer to tell us what you would like to say given the
answer you wanted.

Though it looks like a decent enough refuge to pull out of the way
of a tailgating driver.

Do cyclists often show enough courtesy to move off or over to the
nearside of the carriageway when being followed by traffic which they
are inevitably holding up?

Ooh, I was once dribing up a 1 in 4 in the Lake District where the
single track widened in places for a cyclist to let me go. But I was
impressed by his stamina and after we crested he disappeared into the
distance.

I have never seen it happen,

Your anecdote isn't a data point.

even though the Highway Code advises
drivers and riders of large *or* slow vehicles to do exactly that.

Assuming there are places to safely pull in to. Roads rarely have pull
in places, let alone safe ones.

Old April 4th 20, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 04/04/2020 16:32, TMS320 wrote:

On 04/04/2020 11:08, JNugent wrote:
On 04/04/2020 00:07, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/04/2020 15:23, JNugent wrote:
On 03/04/2020 11:30, Simon Mason wrote:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/bur...ng-sex-4009671

The lay-by is often used by cyclists, is it?

First we need a definition of 'often'; such as more or less
frequently than drivers. If you had an answer, what pearls of
wisdom would you provide? There are only two scenarios, so you
might as well tell us anyway.

I have never been to the location, so I cannot and do not have an
answer to the question I asked.

Do you?

You don't need an answer to tell us what you would like to say given the
answer you wanted.

Crystal ball or Tarot?

Though it looks like a decent enough refuge to pull out of the way
of a tailgating driver.

Do cyclists often show enough courtesy to move off or over to the
nearside of the carriageway when being followed by traffic which they
are inevitably holding up?

Ooh, I was once dribing up a 1 in 4 in the Lake District where the
single track widened in places for a cyclist to let me go. But I was
impressed by his stamina and after we crested he disappeared into the
distance.

So he deliberately held you up even though there was no "need" for him
to do so.

I have never seen it happen,

Your anecdote isn't a data point.

How about yours and mine taken as a pair?

even though the Highway Code advises drivers and riders of large *or*
slow vehicles to do exactly that.

Assuming there are places to safely pull in to. Roads rarely have pull
in places, let alone safe ones.

TRANSLATION: "Sod the Highway Code when it isn't convenient for me. I
*like* holding people up and complaining when they overtake me".
Old April 4th 20, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 04/04/2020 12:44, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 10:08:41 GMT, JNugent
On 04/04/2020 00:07, TMS320 wrote:

Though it looks like a decent enough refuge to pull out of the way of
a tailgating driver.

Do cyclists often show enough courtesy to move off or over to the
nearside of the carriageway when being followed by traffic which they
are inevitably holding up?

Can car drivers wait more than 2 picoseconds before cutting past?

I love it on single tracks when an impatient driver gets delayed by
having to negotiate a way past another driver.
Old April 4th 20, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 4:49:31 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

I love it on single tracks when an impatient driver gets delayed by
having to negotiate a way past another driver.

I love it on motorways when there are tailbacks for miles and drivers happily put up with it, seeing at least pesky cyclists aren't involved.
Old April 4th 20, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 4:49:31 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

I love it on single tracks when an impatient driver gets delayed by
having to negotiate a way past another driver.

I love it on motorways when there are tailbacks for miles and drivers
happily put up with it, seeing at least pesky cyclists aren't
involved.

Which motorway did you throw yourself onto?

Old April 4th 20, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 15:10:10 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

On 04/04/2020 12:44, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 10:08:41 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

Do cyclists often show enough courtesy to move off or over to the
nearside of the carriageway when being followed by traffic which they
are inevitably holding up?

Can car drivers wait more than 2 picoseconds before cutting past?

What are you talking about?

Car drivers being held up for 2 pico seconds; I feel sure all the words
are just up there^

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old April 4th 20, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 19:05:32 GMT, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 4:49:31 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

I love it on single tracks when an impatient driver gets delayed by
having to negotiate a way past another driver.

I love it on motorways when there are tailbacks for miles and drivers
happily put up with it, seeing at least pesky cyclists aren't
involved.

Which motorway did you throw yourself onto?

I didn't think you could get any lower, but here you are proving me
wrong. Well done.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

What drivers can do Mr Pounder Esquire UK 20 October 30th 18 10:30 AM
Is There No Low Too Low for Drivers? Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen UK 0 June 16th 16 05:21 PM
Drivers dob themselves in after hit and run Alycidon UK 0 March 24th 16 02:07 PM
OAP drivers Sylvia Wood UK 24 April 6th 09 02:22 AM
Not All Bus Drivers are Sh!ts Neal Milne UK 8 September 13th 03 08:15 PM