Plans for mass bike ride to the beach during lockdown prompts furious backlash

Old April 8th 20, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default Plans for mass bike ride to the beach during lockdown promptsfurious backlash

On 08/04/2020 05:44, Pamela wrote:
On 12:34 7 Apr 2020, Kelly said:

Pamela wrote:

On 18:12 6 Apr 2020, Kelly said:

Pamela wrote:

On 11:55 4 Apr 2020, Simon Mason said:

The original post shared their plans to meet in S****horpe on Sunday
before riding to Cleethorpes for ice-cream and fish and chips.

How horribly British.

Brilliantly British, more like. A ride to the beach for fish and chips
followed by ice cream sounds absolutely lovely. Once this lockdown is
lifted, what fun we'll all be able to have again.

It's not the bike ride but the idea of eating fish and chips followed by
ice cream which is yucky.

I wish it weren't so but there are some 'chipshop chips' I can eat as
a meal on their own (tomato sauce is a bonus). As for dessert, my
favourite would be an ice cream sundae (a knickerbocker glory is
overkill in most places but I have been known to give it a go).

I'm not really that impressed by a creme brulee - must be I've just
got cheap tastes.

To my taste, eating ice cream after fish and chips seems strange.

So I am a strange person.
Old April 8th 20, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Bret Cahill wrote:

Newton was probably eating gruel when he holed up in the country side to do his work.

If you want a Nobel Prize give it a try:

https://vintagerecipesandcookery.com...-for-the-sick/

Hi, it's me again. You weren't being serious with this post were you?
I beginning to worry I'm treading on people toes without even
realising it - sorry if I got it all wrong with my last reply.

I assume you're talking about Isaac Newton, you must be, but I'm not
sure he 'holed up in the country side to do his work' much. Didn't he
do most of it in Cambridge Uni and then later in London? Also, he was
around some 200 odd years earlier than the time the Nobel Prize awards
started up. And is gruel really 'brain-food'? Salmon and broccoli
maybe (although it's not doing overmuch for me, and as for sick-food,
when I'm unwell I always find Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup a comfort).

Maybe you're right, though, maybe gruel is 'brain-food'. Even so, not
sure I want to give it try right now - think I'd prefer to put the
Nobel Prize on hold for a while.

Old April 8th 20, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Sun, 05 Apr 2020 03:23:51 +0100, Mike Collins wrote:

On Saturday, 4 April 2020 11:55:09 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
A mass cycle ride to the beach for fish and chips has been cancelled after a public backlash and a stark warning from Humberside Police.

S****horpe's Cycle Routes Appreciation Society posted plans for a trip to Cleethorpes on their Facebook page earlier this week, despite the ongoing coronavirus lockdown.

The original post shared their plans to meet in S****horpe on Sunday before riding to Cleethorpes for ice-cream and fish and chips.

It read: "Meet at Holme Lane Bridge for setting off at 11am, arrive at Cleggy for around 1pm. Fish and chips, plus ice cream, then a steady ride back.

"After a few concerns, we shall cycle two abreast two metres apart and keep two metres in front/behind one another."

But the post was met with scathing comments from people angered that the group were flouting the rules designed to stop the spread of coronavirus, which has so far killed more than 3,000 people in the UK.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...cklash-4019575

I have to agree, this is irresponsible to the max. This sort of childish 'rules only apply to others' is the sort of thing we normally associate with motorists not cyclists.

You are a fool. I will choose the level of my own safety, not you, not the prime minister. If you want to be a sissy then stay inside, but don't force others to.

https://www.avg.com

Old April 8th 20, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 11:55:08 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

Cyclists are fitter and very unlikely to die of the virus.

What the government should be doing is this:

Advise (not force) elderly or ill people to stay indoors.

Let healthy folk do what the hell they like, continue working, keep the country running, not destroy businesses, **** over the economy, and throw non-existant money at everyone like the left wing loonies do. These healthy folk will probably catch the virus. A very small proportion [1] will die, but the rest will now be immune, and free to move around and help the vulnerable without risk of spreading it. In fact why not deliberately infect every NHS worker? Now every patient in hospitals is way less likely to catch it, and they won't need to hand out billions of masks to the NHS staff.

[1] The AVERAGE death chance once you have the virus is 4%. For healthy younger people, it's way less than that.

https://www.avg.com

Old April 8th 20, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
On Saturday, 4 April 2020 11:55:09 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
A mass cycle ride to the beach for fish and chips has been
cancelled after a public backlash and a stark warning from
Humberside Police. S****horpe's Cycle Routes Appreciation Society
posted plans for a
trip to Cleethorpes on their Facebook page earlier this week,
despite the ongoing coronavirus lockdown. The original post shared
their plans to meet in S****horpe on
Sunday before riding to Cleethorpes for ice-cream and fish and
chips. It read: "Meet at Holme Lane Bridge for setting off at 11am,

**** off Hucker. Having problems signing on the dole are you?

Old April 8th 20, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
QUOTE:
A mass cycle ride to the beach for fish and chips has been cancelled
after a public backlash and a stark warning from Humberside Police.
S****horpe's Cycle Routes Appreciation Society posted plans for a
trip to Cleethorpes on their Facebook page earlier this week,
despite the ongoing coronavirus lockdown. The original post shared their
plans to meet in S****horpe on Sunday
before riding to Cleethorpes for ice-cream and fish and chips. It read:
[...]

FOAD Hucker.

Old April 8th 20, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

wrote:
[...]

None at all, the Tories have gone left wing and are throwing the equivalent of £4500 per person around. Your taxes will rise, inflation will soar, interest on your savings will be zero, everyone will be bankrupt, the government are a bunch of morons. I ain't voting Tory again.

https://www.avg.com

Old April 8th 20, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

wrote:
[...]

And that's my choice to make, not yours or the governments. I will risk getting the virus should I so choose.

https://www.avg.com

Old April 8th 20, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

[...]

One thing we have to remember is Coronavirus was spread by heavier then air travel which was invented by cyclists as were the engines needed to propel these machines.
Old April 9th 20, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

People more susceptible to the virus will need to stay indoors under extraordinary isolation until summer 2021 when the vaccine is ready.

The CDC is already talking about healthier people [read: cyclists] going back to work.

Bret Cahill