All Terrain Cycles selling poor quality Panaracer tyres

Old January 12th 04, 07:36 PM
Jeremy Hughes

Default All Terrain Cycles selling poor quality Panaracer tyres

This will be old news to some but will be useful information to some.

I've just discovered that there are two versions of 2.1 folding
Panaracer Fire XC Pros on the market - the 'normal' one and a poor
quality OEM version. Panaracer say that the OEM version is not
intended for sale but unfortunately some retailers take advantage of
the confusion. All Terrain Cycles (www.allterraincycles.co.uk) sell
the OEM version but not the normal version and don't indicate this on
their website. Now that I know this I won't be dealing with them as I
can't be sure of the quality of their other products.

The OEM Fire XC Pro tyre weighs over 10% more than the normal 2.1
folding version and is only 60tpi instead of 127tpi and the compound
is not the same. They are made in Taiwan instead of Japan and they
are both called Panaracer Fire XC Pros - interestingly All Terrain
Cycles don't call them pros on their website but that is what's
printed on the tyre and on the packaging.

I hope this email stops a few people buying these tyres by mistake as
I daresay many people buy the tyres based on their reputation and
don't realise they're not getting the real thing. I'd like to think
that pressure from consumers would get them to provide more
information on their site but I imagine they make a lot of money in
this way.

Jeremy
Old January 12th 04, 08:42 PM
Andy

"Jeremy Hughes" wrote in message
om...
[...]

They've been doing this for ages, I sent mine back and got a refund.
Poor show - they've been hassled loads of times but have done
nothng.

Old January 12th 04, 08:44 PM
Peter B

"Jeremy Hughes" wrote in message
om...
I've just discovered that there are two versions of 2.1 folding
Panaracer Fire XC Pros on the market -

I did wonder.
I had one with a stencilled effect labelling that was easy to dismount from
the rim without levers.Then I bought a pair mail order and noticed the
different, more standard, labelling and the fact I need levers to remove
them.
Investigation revealed "Made In Japan" embossed on the original and "Made In
Taiwan" on the newer pair, other than those facts I never appreciated any
other differences so thanks for the further info.
At the end of the day I suppose there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Pete

Old January 12th 04, 11:05 PM
BB

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:14:56 +0000, Ken wrote:

fyi - this has been going on for many years. I think the cheap Panaracers
used to be made in Korea, but I guess they are now made in Taiwan.

IRC does this as well. Mythos XCs are OEM if they're not redwall. They can
be had for very cheap, and mine have held up fine. Maybe if you ride them
on lots of rocky stuff they wouldn't fare as well.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old January 13th 04, 01:05 AM
Fleagle

"Peter B" wrote in message
Investigation revealed "Made In Japan" embossed on the original and "Made

In
Taiwan" on the newer pair, other than those facts I never appreciated any
other differences so thanks for the further info.

All Terrain show the two different tyres (ahem, tires) in the images. The
big white letters are the Japanese ones. The small flaming letters are the
OEM Taiwanese ones.

Deviating slightly, has anyone tried Panaracer Trailrakers yet ("designed
for British conditions")?

Dave

Old January 13th 04, 03:05 AM

[...]

I have run both the Taiwan and Japan made tires. I can't tell the
difference, only that my wallet's a lot lighter when I buy the "made in
Japan" tires.

--

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.