Duct Tape reduces vibration!

Old April 27th 04, 08:40 PM
Wayne Pein

Default Duct Tape reduces vibration!

At a recent race I was oogling a friend's new Merckx Team SC. Gorgeous
blue purple with full Record, including carbon cranks. I asked him about
the carbon wrapped chainstays, an advertised feature, and he replied
that they were for vibration damping, saying that having the tubes
externally wrapped with something did this. He demonstrated the effect
by knocking on the top tube to produce a sound, then wrapped his palm
around the tube and knocked again, resulting in a muffled sound.

I then asked if duct tape wrapped around the bike would have the same
effect.

Silence.

Wayne

Old April 27th 04, 11:00 PM
daveornee

Wayne Pein wrote:
At a recent race I was oogling a friend's new Merckx Team SC. Gorgeous
blue purple with full Record, including carbon cranks. I asked him about
the carbon wrapped chainstays, an advertised feature, and he replied
that they were for vibration damping, saying that having the tubes
externally wrapped with something did this. He demonstrated the effect
by knocking on the top tube to produce a sound, then wrapped his palm
around the tube and knocked again, resulting in a muffled sound.
I then asked if duct tape wrapped around the bike would have the
same effect.
Silence.
Wayne

Did you put the duct tape over his mouth? ... maybe that would explai
the silence. I just couldn't resist. I see duct tape wrapped bicycle
often, but I assumed it was to cover their identity and make them looo
real ugly. Maybe those bicycle messengers just don't tell us about thei
vibration reduction solution

-

Old April 28th 04, 02:10 AM
Luke

In article , daveornee
wrote:

Did you put the duct tape over his mouth? ... maybe that would explain
the silence. I just couldn't resist. I see duct tape wrapped bicycles
often, but I assumed it was to cover their identity and make them loook
real ugly. Maybe those bicycle messengers just don't tell us about their
vibration reduction solution.

Well I don't know about vibration reduction. But the rationale behind
the wrapping of (main triangle) tubes by messengers is to provide
protection for the bike. Hastily tossing and (free)locking your bike
against a wall or post 50+ times a day mutilates the frame in short
order.

Never used duct tape though. Cork tape was the preference.

luke

Old April 28th 04, 06:40 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

Luke wrote:
In article , daveornee
wrote:

Did you put the duct tape over his mouth? ... maybe that would explain
the silence. I just couldn't resist. I see duct tape wrapped bicycles
often, but I assumed it was to cover their identity and make them
loook real ugly. Maybe those bicycle messengers just don't tell us
about their vibration reduction solution.

Well I don't know about vibration reduction. But the rationale behind
the wrapping of (main triangle) tubes by messengers is to provide
protection for the bike. Hastily tossing and (free)locking your bike
against a wall or post 50+ times a day mutilates the frame in short
order.

Never used duct tape though. Cork tape was the preference.

luke

I've always wondered about messengers and locking bikes. Do they lock up
the wheels, or just the frame? I can see that a lot of messenger bikes
will have good strong wheels, and some of them will want QR skewers, but I
can't see taking the time to pull off a wheel or use a separate cable lock
at each stop, so what's the deal? I seem to remember you're in Toronto, so
maybe you can give me the local persepctive?

As for the OP I really don't think you can compare tubes wrapped in duct
tape to tubes gripped by a fleshy hand. This seems a really foolish
'proof' that the tape works. Unless the amount of tape you use weighs as
much as an arm..

Old April 28th 04, 06:40 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

Old April 28th 04, 09:36 AM
ZeeExSixAre

As for the OP I really don't think you can compare tubes wrapped in
duct tape to tubes gripped by a fleshy hand. This seems a really
foolish 'proof' that the tape works. Unless the amount of tape you
use weighs as much as an arm..

It was a joke.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 28th 04, 02:00 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wpein- I asked him about
the carbon wrapped chainstays, an advertised feature, and he replied
that they were for vibration damping, BRBR
then wrapped his palm
around the tube and knocked again, resulting in a muffled sound.

I then asked if duct tape wrapped around the bike would have the same
effect.

Silence.

Wayne

Sky Yaeger, the brains behind Bianchi USA, did this on a frameset at Interbike
as a JOKE...lots of interest and it's amazing how many frameset makers
actually do this now and claim this or that about this or that...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302