CatEye TL-LD1000 Rear Flasher--Finally a good, easily available,LED flasher

Old December 16th 04, 03:29 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Default CatEye TL-LD1000 Rear Flasher--Finally a good, easily available,LED flasher

CatEye TL-LD1000 Rear Flasher--Finally a good, easily available, LED
flasher.

I received a CatEye TL-LD1000 from Nashbar today. I had not been a fan
of LED flashers due to the problems with field of view, and intensity,
but CatEye has a winner with the TL-LD1000. It has six rear facing LEDs,
plus two LEDs on each side. It has lenses over the LEDs, not just a red
plastic cover. It's very rugged, and it's waterproof. You can turn on
either the bottom or top five LEDs, or all ten. This is the first LED
flasher I've found that almost rivals the visibility of a xenon strobe.
I bought it for a new Dahon Speed TR folder, which also arrived today.

The mounting is funky. It includes a seat post bracket. It also includes
a screw that cuts threads into a hole on the back which theoretically
would let it mount directly to a reflector bracket on a rear rack (the
holes line up properly). However this screw is far too long, and you
need some washers or a spacer or you’ll destroy the light as you screw
it into the battery compartment. I used a spacer, and it works fine,
with no bracket. The directions do not mention this mounting option, and
don't tell you what the screw is for.

"http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProduct.php?modelId=41&catId=7&subCatId=4"

It isn't cheap, it cost me nearly $24 (with a Nashbar coupon code).

Nashbar Coupon Codes
----------------------------
10% off entire order! W198 01/03/2005
10% off entire order! AFFDC 12/20/2004

They had a 20% off code that expired, but you can still try it:

20% off $100 or more! 25DEC 12/14/2004

Old December 16th 04, 06:22 PM

nice. the products are near light mil spec.
better-

http://www.cateye.com/cat/parts_list.php?products_id=91
of which i was unaware.

Old December 18th 04, 01:09 AM
Cat Dailey

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Thanks! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the extra screw was
for! Got mine about 2 weeks ago from Nashbar as well. Everyone else
wanted $35 bucks for it.

Cat

Old December 18th 04, 05:29 AM
Steven M. Scharf

Cat Dailey wrote:

Thanks! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the extra screw was
for! Got mine about 2 weeks ago from Nashbar as well. Everyone else
wanted $35 bucks for it.

I was still a little nervous about the mounting, even with two screws,
since they don't go in very far. It’s on there securely, but who knows
with vibration and all.

I drilled two small holes into the reflector bracket of my rear rack,
and used two long black cable ties, one on each side of the center
column of LEDs, to ensure that it doesn't fall off. It doesn’t look too
funky, but maybe I’ll look for some ties that match the red plastic.

I noticed that the instructions said that it must not replace the
reflector on the bike, which is of course exactly what I did!

The bike is in my office, and everyone who comes in has to play with the
flasher, and they are very impressed.

I was glad to read the method of holding in the buttons for a couple of
seconds to turn the unit off. Looks like someone at CatEye used to work
for Microsoft

Steve
http://bicyclelighting.com

"If you can't answer a man's argument, all
is not lost; you can still call him vile
names."
Elbert Hubbard

Old December 18th 04, 06:31 PM
Steve Knight

I was still a little nervous about the mounting, even with two screws,
since they don't go in very far. It’s on there securely, but who knows
with vibration and all.

locktite will fix it. or super glue. super glue may be easier to remove though
as it does not really stick well to plastic.

I noticed that the instructions said that it must not replace the
reflector on the bike, which is of course exactly what I did!

well of course (G) but that's what reflective tape is for.

I was glad to read the method of holding in the buttons for a couple of
seconds to turn the unit off. Looks like someone at CatEye used to work
for Microsoft

(G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old December 18th 04, 10:02 PM

How would you rate it to the Vistalite Eclipse rear 7 LED flasher? I
think the Eclipse is the brightest rear light around, after the battery
powered NiteRider rear light.

Old December 19th 04, 02:37 AM
Steve Knight

On 18 Dec 2004 13:02:57 -0800, wrote:

How would you rate it to the Vistalite Eclipse rear 7 LED flasher? I
think the Eclipse is the brightest rear light around, after the battery
powered NiteRider rear light.

I got the
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=3&minor=6
the nebula it is a bit cheaper and uses aa's and has far longer runtime. I think
they were both the same brightness if I remember right.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old January 6th 05, 05:40 AM
Steven M. Scharf

snip

One more bit of evidence regarding the need for side visibility:

http://www.rospa.org.uk/roadsafety/c...e_lighting.pdf

Flashing lights are already common on pedal cycles and anecdotal
evidence suggests that they help to distinguish cyclists from other road
users. The type of LED flashing lights in current use have distinct
advantages over normal filament bulb bicycle lights, in that they are

• smaller and lighter and therefore easier to remove from a parked bike
and carry
• the batteries last significantly longer than filament bulb lamps.

However, they do not usually conform to the British Standard for bicycle
lamps (BS 6102/3) and often emit light in a direct line but not in a
wider cone. This means that they are highly visible directly in line
with the cyclist but not from even a slight angle.

Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM