WTB: Used Unicycle (26" or 24")...

Old October 5th 03, 09:44 PM
unarueda

Default New Torker: My first attempts trying to ride...

Carl Barrentine wrote:
*As a cyclist, I 'clip-in' to my heel-less shoes near the 'ball' of
the
foot. But fiddlin' with this uni, I feel that I have more control
on
the unicycle when I wear a heeled shoe and make contact with the
pedal
in the arch portion of my foot.

Here's the question: Is there a preferred or recommended way that I
should place my feet on the pedals to maximize balance, control, and
smooth cadence?
*

I must agree with you, in my experience i have noticed that when the
contact is in the arch of the foot you become more in control, i know
have pinned pedals, and those don`t allow foot movement once placed, so
unless the arch of my foot lands on the pedal, i dismount or try to
correct this, i have also noticed it when teaching how to ride to others
that the rides become somewhat smother.

if you check some of the threads about shoes you may also notice that
most of us prefer the ones with flat soles, i belive this is directly
related to the topic.

--
unarueda - teaching the dark art of unicycling
unarueda's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4324

Old October 6th 03, 12:33 AM
Klaas Bil

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:15:28 -0500, MUNIYETI
wrote:

I know that lots of the others here won't agree with all this
(especially the saddle weight part) but everyone learns in different
ways.

I for one DO agree. There are a few advices that are often given by
experienced riders to newbies. Weight on seat is one of them, look
into the distance is another. Adhering to these advices usually make
riding easier once you can do it, which makes people assume that it
will hold for a beginner as well. But I remember that at least for me
it didn't, and I won't stress these issues when teaching someone.

I've learned at age 47 which was 3 years ago.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it's loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

Old October 6th 03, 02:46 AM
duaner

Congrats! Sounds like you are making great progress.

Already mentioned:
- Eyes out (not looking down).
- Weight on seat

Not yet mentioned (and, my opinion, more important than weight on
seat):
- both arms out for balance

I concur with other feedback: once you've gone a few revolutions, it's
time to quit using support for riding, and only use it to get started.
Note: when using support it does help if you you can switch sides to
prevent lop-sided learning; that is, ride with fence on your right, then
ride back with fence on your left.

I have a friend who just learned using a curved fence, he'd ride with it
on his right curving right, then on his left curving left. What I found
interesting: as soon as he got his balance figured out and only needed
support for the mount, he had exceptional direction control (for a
beginner).

duaner.

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old October 6th 03, 04:11 AM
johnfoss

Carl Barrentine wrote:
*making some progress, though I have to concentrate pretty hard--so
much that I was pretty perspirey after each session--*

As with any new physical skill, especially when it involves moving your
whole body, it takes a while for you to figure out which muscles you
need, and how much you need of each. As you get better, you'll be able
to focus down and have a nice, relaxing ride. But it will always take a
little more (physical + mental) effort on the unicycle, because you have
to cover everything that's not covered when you have two wheels and the
ability to coast.

*Here's the question: Is there a preferred or recommended way that I
should place my feet on the pedals to maximize balance, control, and
smooth cadence?*

All the best riders use the balls of their feet over the pedal axle,
except for in some specialized situations, such as extreme hills. But
for the beginner, this doesn't really matter. Until you get where you
can toddle around, put your feet wherever they are comfortable.

*My sense is that riding this contraption is heaps harder than riding
my track bike--*

I assume your track bike has two wheels?

Riding a track bike gets you used to the concept of a fixed gear, but
the gearing is miles away from the leverage you have on a unicycle. Plus
that whole one-wheeled thing...

Sounds like you're doing just fine. For "a youth of 51," I think you're
way ahead of the learning curve! Adults tend to analyze too much, when
all you really need to do is keep trial-and-erroring.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

Old October 11th 03, 10:46 PM
Defender of Enormous Manhood

I use the balls of my feet to pedal.
When I was a beginner, I used the arch.
I didn't really make the transistion until I could take my foot off the
pedal entirely.
I think the reason the arches feels better is the foot is less likely to
slip off, but you get better control with the ball, and more power to the
stroke, just like a bicycle.

It's just a beginner thing. You don't have to sit on the seat to ride, and
should be able to transfer your weight from seat to pedal, just like you do
on a bike. You just have to keep in mind, with a unicycle, your skeleton and
muscles complete the structure, with a bike the structure is complete (read
stable) without you. So you have to feel things more than with a bike.

Have fun!

"Carl Barrentine" wrote in message
om...
daino149 wrote in message

Black (Stealth) Torker all the way! I just rode 40 miles on mine!

Daniel

Daniel et al. -- Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry about
purchasing a used 24-26" unicycle. I bought a 24" Black Torker whilst
I was in Fargo yesterday, and have been beaverin' about the task of
learning to ride the thing. So far I've invested 'bout an hour
attempting to ride with my left hand on the railing of the patio deck
last evening, and spent another hour this morning trying to ride the
inside perimeter of a local tennis court. I get the feeling that I'm
making some progress, though I have to concentrate pretty hard--so
much that I was pretty perspirey after each session--to (1) keep my
back straight and (2) put my weight on the saddle, not on the pedals.
(Thousands of hours bicycling has probably ruined me for unicycling!)

After a couple of hours practicing, I've a comment and then a quick
question about leg extension and placement of the foot on the pedals.
As a cyclist, I 'clip-in' to my heel-less shoes near the 'ball' of the
foot. But fiddlin' with this uni, I feel that I have more control on
the unicycle when I wear a heeled shoe and make contact with the pedal
in the arch portion of my foot.

Here's the question: Is there a preferred or recommended way that I
should place my feet on the pedals to maximize balance, control, and
smooth cadence?

My sense is that riding this contraption is heaps harder than riding
my track bike--my hard-learned cyclin' skills don't seem to transfer
well in the process of learning how to master this unicycle. For
example, after over two hours pedaling, I can sometimes go about 2-3
crank revolutions before I feel the need to prevent a fall. Is this
pretty typical? Candidly, I'm feelin' like a six year old, even
though I'm 51 and have been bicycling since I was six.

Thanks for any hints you'd care to share! --carl (A new uni from
North Dakota)

unicycle games James_Potter Unicycling 5 December 18th 08 03:46 AM
Unicycle with three wheels??? andrew_carter Marketplace 3 November 18th 03 12:43 AM
A big day with a big unicycle showard Unicycling 11 September 10th 03 04:51 PM
I Must Have The Best All Purpose Unicycle XWonka Unicycling 16 July 28th 03 03:42 AM