Stupid %$#@$ Commuting

Old August 7th 04, 02:40 PM
Tom Nicholson

Default Stupid Gears

DaveB wrote in message ...
Aaaaaaaaaagh. Need advice from anyone used to workign with wheels. I
swapped my casette onto the wheel generously donated by Flying Dutch
(lots of swearing and effort involved though) but when I went to put the
wheel on the bike it wouldn't fit. There was a big spacer on the axle on
FD's wheel so I removed that and the wheel would now fit into the frame.
But I can't shift down to the smallest sprocket, I'm about one sprocket
out for the SDI change. Does that mean I need a spacer just a smaller
one. I don't understand the purpose of the spacer but it seems to do
something vital??

The spaces is just alignment. I assume you have adjusted the
derraileur?
Try the kimit screws.

Otherwise put the spacer back on and just open the frame up a bit,
gentle even pressure should be enough. (might need another pair of
hands) pop the wheel in and set the rear derraileur.

DON'T go near the dreaded Learsport. Best use for them is moorings..

Tom
Old August 7th 04, 09:35 PM
flyingdutch

Default Stupid %$#@$ Commuting

(lots of swearing and effort involved though).

Didnt! I, er, um, swear!

is there an equivalent spacer on the non drive as well pusing things
out?

F-getting-fixed-D

--
flyingdutch

Old August 8th 04, 12:56 AM
ritcho

Tom Nicholson Wrote:

[snip]

The spaces is just alignment. I assume you have adjusted the
derraileur?
Try the kimit screws.

Otherwise put the spacer back on and just open the frame up a bit,
gentle even pressure should be enough. (might need another pair of
hands) pop the wheel in and set the rear derraileur.

DON'T go near the dreaded Learsport. Best use for them is moorings..

Tom

Now this is an excellent troll - start out with a piece of sensible
sounding advice and then sneak in an outrageous comment at the end.
Well played sir!

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old August 8th 04, 03:02 AM
DaveB

Tom Nicholson wrote:
The spaces is just alignment. I assume you have adjusted the
derraileur?
Try the kimit screws.

If it was a slight adjustment I'd adjust the limit screws, but this
seems a lot more than what limit screws are for.

DON'T go near the dreaded Learsport. Best use for them is moorings..

Given the current bike is a 10 year old KMart special I'm tipping the
cheapest Learsport is going to be a vast improvement. Besides I saw on
their website their bikes are recommended by the Mormons (I think it was
the Mormons anyway). You can't get a better recommendation for a
commuter than than a Mormons recommendation surely. If they don't know
about riding bikes everyday, who does?

DaveB

Old August 8th 04, 08:48 AM
flyingdutch

DaveB Wrote:

Besides I saw on their website their bikes are recommended by the
Mormons (I think it was the Mormons anyway). You can't get a better
recommendation for a commuter than than a Mormons recommendation
surely. If they don't know about riding bikes everyday, who does?

DaveB

really?!?! but wouldnt they only ride black ones?

Saw them on a central display down at Vic Gardens/richmond, for the
price they actually looked pretty good

--
flyingdutch

Old August 10th 04, 01:05 PM
DaveB

flyingdutch wrote:
DaveB Wrote:

flyingdutch wrote:

how many speed is it. got a few old wheels lieing about that your
welcome to :-)

WooHoo, the old faithful is back in action. Thanks for the wheel Dutch.

DaveB

Old August 10th 04, 08:57 PM
flyingdutch

DaveB Wrote:
flyingdutch wrote
DaveB Wrote

flyingdutch wrote

how many speed is it. got a few old wheels lieing about that you
welcome to :-

WooHoo, the old faithful is back in action. Thanks for the wheel Dutch

DaveB

excellent! whatya do ? lose any knuckle-skin in the process

--
flyingdutc

Old August 10th 04, 11:53 PM
DaveB

flyingdutch wrote:

WooHoo, the old faithful is back in action. Thanks for the wheel Dutch.

DaveB

excellent! whatya do ? lose any knuckle-skin in the process?

Lots of swearing, head scratching, effort in loosening the lock nuts on
both sides of the axle (why is it the non-freewheel side is always the
hardest), and some wrong advice from rec.bicycles.tech that at least put
me back on the right track. Oh and hands that were almost pure black
(the axle grease looked like crude oil), I've gotta get hold of that
soap gunk in a tin that mechanics use.

DaveB

Old August 11th 04, 01:47 AM
mfhor

DaveB Wrote:
flyingdutch wrote

WooHoo, the old faithful is back in action. Thanks for the whee

Dutch

Dave

excellent! whatya do ? lose any knuckle-skin in the process

Lots of swearing, head scratching, effort in loosening the lock nuts o
both sides of the axle (why is it the non-freewheel side is always th
hardest), and some wrong advice from rec.bicycles.tech that at leas
pu
me back on the right track. Oh and hands that were almost pure blac
(the axle grease looked like crude oil), I've gotta get hold of tha
soap gunk in a tin that mechanics use

DaveB

Lightning (white tub, red top) is good with a paper towel wipeoff, an
then a wash with soap.

Or Pedros Citrus Cleaner - a bit scratchy with the pumice in it

M "filthy"

--
mfhor