removing rear wheel from bike

Old August 6th 04, 07:30 PM
Greg-O

Default removing rear wheel from bike

invest in a bike stand. it makes stuff like this a ton easier.

and for avoiding greasy hands, use a rag to grab the chain

--
Greg-O

Old August 6th 04, 11:22 PM
Jack Russell

Ben wrote:

Ok I admit, most people here will think I am a jerk for asking this
question, but I need advice.

On my road bike, I got a flat tyre the other day ( Rear )
Ok, I got the wheel of, put it in the smallest gear, no problem.
But could I get the wheel back on ??? NO way, after I covered my hands in
grease, and made a mess of my new bike, I tried over 10 times, untill I
finally got it back on.
It was very frustrating to say the least.

Guys, please tell me any secrets in making this job easy, as I dred my next
rear flat tyre.

Do you lay the bike on the ground, upside down ???

I know once you get the knack, its like pumping up a tyre, but I am far from
getting the knack.
Please advise me on how its done the esay way.

A bery big thankyou,
Ben

Carry a couple of "surgical gloves". They are cheap as chips and
disposable. Failing that you can do it with a bit of rag but ....

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell
Old August 7th 04, 01:06 AM
ritcho

Jack Russell Wrote:
Ben wrote:

[...]

You stole my suggestion! Gloves are an _excellent_ device for keeping
hands clean. I don't want to arrive at work with black hands after
fixing a flat.

Ok, here's another one. As you begin re-installing the wheel, rest the
sprockets on the chain and you'll find that the derailer is in the way,
between the axle and the dropout. Pull the derailer back a little so the
cassette clears it and voila! Wheel is in.

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old August 7th 04, 01:29 AM
Terry Collins

Spin (ed) pedals to check bike in lowest gear.

Why?

Because when you put it back, you need to spin the wheel again to check
you've put it back centred, doesn't rub, etc.

Pull now lowest jockey wheel back to reduce amount of chain in contact
with cluster.

Why?

On my bike, there is a fair bit of chain wrap around rear. This unwraps
a bit of it. Actually makes it easier to get back in more than anything.

What's all this 'lowest gear' stuff? I can take the wheel out
without touching the chain with my hands and with the
chain on a middle cog.. ???

That is on your bicycle. Let me guess, tight range rear cluster, with
52-40 triple on front?

I run 36/34 to 13/14 rear cluster with 40-26 triple. there is a bit of
chain about.

....snip.....

Oh, if you HAVE to move the chain.. use a stick or
something to stop dirty hands?

It is okay, I'm a man, I don't mind a little bit of grease {:-)
It gives me an excuse to use hand cream VBG
Old August 7th 04, 01:32 AM
Terry Collins

Greg-O wrote:

invest in a bike stand. it makes stuff like this a ton easier.

I've got two of those at home.
It is quicker just to flip the bike and do it.
Especially when you are out on the road.
Old August 7th 04, 01:37 AM
BCL

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:48:59 +1000, "Ben" wrote:

On my road bike, I got a flat tyre the other day ( Rear )
Ok, I got the wheel of, put it in the smallest gear, no problem.
But could I get the wheel back on ??? NO way, after I covered my hands in
grease, and made a mess of my new bike, I tried over 10 times, untill I
finally got it back on.

If you have no grease on your chain then you can't get it on your
hands. There will be howls of protest but try using parafin wax on
your chain every two or three months. You clean the chain in a solvent
(I use petrol but you can expect more howls about that) then dunk it
in molten wax. There are other more expensive dry lubs too.

Depending on how much riding you do you may even have to change the
chain more often but chains are cheap enough. Personally I change my
chain every year but have never got near 1/16" over a foot stretch.

Regards
Bruce

www.bcl.id.au
Old August 7th 04, 09:57 AM
mfhor

Ben Wrote:
[...]

Don't listen to those other clowns This is how REAL race
mechanics change a rear wheel

Flip open the brake QR. Stand on the NDS (non drive side). Face the
rear wheel. Lift the rear of the bike one (left) handed with the DS
seatstay. Bend over so the seat is in your abdomen. Got it?

Undo the QR lever with your free hand. Swap your free hand to the drive
side. Twist derailleur parallelogram backwards. Give the bike a good
shake. If the wheel is installed correctly, it should drop out, hence
the term "dropouts" for where the wheel goes in. If not, undo the QR
nut a few turns and give the wheel a good wallop on the tyre at 12 to 2
o'clock. Still no good? We're into workshop territory now. Undo the QR
all the way and take it out. Pull the seatstays apart with your mighty
biceps. Still no good? Get a friend to do all the above wheel
manipulation while you pull the seatstays apart with your mighty
biceps. If no good, swap spots. If still no good, smash bike with large
hammer, until frustration is righteously assuaged.

If any of the above, short of the righteous anger, works, check the
clearance in the dropout slots - should be +- 11mm. File or bend the
slot apart (gently! snappage can occur!) to fit the wheel axle ends -
slide the wheel in and out a few times to check.

Some bikes' derailleur hangers are designed to frustrate easy wheel
removal. Not much you can do about this. Buy a new frame? What a handy
excuse . . .

M "The devil lies in the frame design detail"H

--
mfhor

Old August 7th 04, 12:32 PM
GDS

"Ben" wrote in message ...
Ok I admit, most people here will think I am a jerk for asking this
question, but I need advice.

On my road bike, I got a flat tyre the other day ( Rear )
Ok, I got the wheel of, put it in the smallest gear, no problem.
But could I get the wheel back on ??? NO way, after I covered my hands in
grease, and made a mess of my new bike, I tried over 10 times, untill I
finally got it back on.
It was very frustrating to say the least.

Guys, please tell me any secrets in making this job easy, as I dred my next
rear flat tyre.

Do you lay the bike on the ground, upside down ???

I know once you get the knack, its like pumping up a tyre, but I am far from
getting the knack.
Please advise me on how its done the esay way.

A bery big thankyou,
Ben

Here it is...
Don't bother changing gears mate, just remember the one you were in when you stopped.
Turn the bike on it's reverse (this is simply to make it easier to work on).
Undo the quick release and pull the wheel out.
Replace tube/fix puncture(as if#2!).
Replace wheel and ride away happy.

If you ride a MTB you may also have to free the brakes.

I don't see how you can get greasy doing the above chore, we all do it at some stage.

G.

Old August 7th 04, 01:22 PM
hippy

Terry Collins
hippy
What's all this 'lowest gear' stuff? I can take the wheel out
without touching the chain with my hands and with the
chain on a middle cog.. ???

That is on your bicycle. Let me guess, tight range rear cluster, with
52-40 triple on front?
[/color]

Something like that, yeah..

I run 36/34 to 13/14 rear cluster with 40-26 triple. there is a bit

of
chain about.

Ahh.. ok, that makes more sense.

Hey, if you have two work stands and don't use them.. I know
where you can send them

hippy

--
hippy

Old August 7th 04, 01:55 PM
Gags

"Ben" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have never, ever turned the bike upside down......seems silly as I am sure
that it must be harder to pull the wheel out than to drop it out......here
is my tried and true technique.....

I keep bike upright and stand on off-drive side. Shift to 2nd smallest cog
(I got in this habit after having a bike with a lug on the drive side seat
stay that I could put the chain over so that it stayed in place for
replacement of the wheel), release brakes, release QR skewer, lean over back
wheel and pivot derallieur to the rear......wheel generally drops out at
this point (may need a slight tap on the top with palm sometimes). Grab
wheel and shimmy it outside the loop of the chain, lay bike on LHS so chain
is off the ground.

I then replace the tube, pump it up whilst still off the bike and then pick
up the bike and pretty well reverse the process. I always apply downwards
pressure on the seat before tightening the QR skewer to make sure that the
wheel is seated properly in the dropouts. I also grab and release the rear
brakes a couple of times and then check that they are clearing the rim (ie.
the wheel is in straight).

At no stage in the process do I touch the chain!!!! I only touch the
deraillieur which is usually fairly clean but I do carry a small rag in my
seat bag (about 15 cm x 15cm) that stops tools from rattling and is great to
use to grab the deraillieur.

Ride On,

Gags

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Bike E rear wheel FS Bob Wefel Recumbent Biking 1 March 21st 04 08:35 PM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM