Training or Plain Riding?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 10th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default Training or Plain Riding?

On Dec 10, 1:07*am, Fred Fredburger
wrote:

The word "good" is sometimes misleading. Expensive and "good" are not
always the same things. Also, "good" for racing up the Alps in the TdF
is not always "good" for riding on crappy urban roads.

If instead of using those bearings as an example, I wonder whether more
people would have agreed with you if you'd chosen tires. I know a LOT of
people who maintain a separate wheelset because they know that their
expensive racing tires wont take the punishment of training rides.

This is not so much a question of which is "best" as it is a matter of
serving the particular purpose.- Hide quoted text -

I don't think I know anyone who races even vaguely seriously that
doesn't do this. I know most of the established Jr. coaches around
here will tell the kids and parents that, both to conserve equipment
and save money. As both you and Tom point out though the race stuff
tends to be lighter, faster, AND more fragile. I've been amazed at how
well an old set of Dura-Ace wheels, along with Michelin Pro Race tires
have held up with a kid bike commuting to work on them. Yes, he's a
complete Fred.
Bill C

Salisbury Plain byway query didds UK 11 June 28th 08 05:56 PM
New Movie: Plain with Pallets... Evan Byrne Unicycling 27 September 21st 05 08:45 AM
Land Rider - just plain bad... Bill H. General 19 August 8th 05 02:59 AM
just plain fun (informative, too!) Birchy Rides 0 December 21st 04 11:28 PM
Rail riding training... andrew_carter Unicycling 46 February 7th 04 09:25 AM