Warning: H*lm*t content

Old August 23rd 05, 05:12 AM
Theo Bekkers

Default Warning: H*lm*t content

David Trudgett wrote:

Hey, with a name like 'Theo'... mmmm...

I didn't get to pick it. Else I might be David, or Sue.

Theo

Old August 23rd 05, 05:18 AM
Theo Bekkers

flaco wrote:

Theo, did you manage to name yourself.

No, I do find it amazing how many theists want to explain the meaning of my
name to me. You think I don't know. On the other hand 'flaco'......

Where can I come to learn from
you, hear about the evil tooth fairy believers subverting our young,

'Twas me. I subverted my children into believing about the tooth fairy. Now
they are also a-toothfairianists, but still subverting my grandchildren into
believing.

Theo

Theo

Old August 23rd 05, 05:23 AM
Theo Bekkers

Euan wrote:

I don't think that's correct.

When there are two or more velocities what we have a vectors. We have
the horizontal component (40km/h) and the vertical component. The
vector simplistically is the root of the sum of the horizontal squared
and the vertical squared.

For the cited figures that gives a velocity of 44km/h on point of
impact.

A combination of kinetic absorption and friction dissipates the
velocity.

I don't remember that much of physics from high school, but I think the
contact with the ground is dependent on the velocity at which you contact
it. I think your argument only works if you come to a horizontal stop when
you hit the ground. Unless there is a solid object that prevents you sliding
(kerb, lamp-post or car) the vector figures you cite are not an issue.

Theo

Old August 23rd 05, 08:17 AM
Gemma_k

"Euan" wrote in message
"Bleve" == Bleve writes:

Compulsion is a barrier to cycling, a barrier to cycling reduces cycling
numbers and increases the risk per cyclists. It's not a good trade off.

Wear a helmet or don't, I just don't agree with compulsion.

.... which is back to the start of the thread - and the subject of Robinson's
research!
(and I agree with you)

Cheers
Gemma

Old August 23rd 05, 08:59 AM
Euan

"flyingdutch" == flyingdutch writes:

flyingdutch It amazes me the fervour with which people can lather
flyingdutch themselves into to argue against helmet use, and yet
flyingdutch ANYONE who has been in a serious spill doesnt. Could it
flyingdutch be they are speaking from such a strange position as
flyingdutch 'experience' ?

Hmm, because I've never had a serious spill without a helmet on...

But you're right, it's not worth getting worked up about it. As stated
I'm not against helmets, just compulsion.

I'm done with this thread, sapping too much energy for no benefit.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old August 23rd 05, 09:04 AM
David Trudgett

sinus writes:

David Trudgett Wrote:

This is aus.bicyles, religious argument really doesn't
belong, eh?

I've already replied to that, too:

"I don't think it appropriate to exclude religion from
life. Religion *is* life, you know."

OK then, we are discussing the part of our lives involving bicycles.
The religion of bicycles.

Despite the absence of smileys, I'll have to assume you're joking
here, since I never mentioned or implied anything about a "religion of
bicycles." Unfortunately, I'm still working on a sense of humour, so
when I've got one, I'll let you know! ;-)

With two sects, the helmet heads and the air
heads, having healthy discourse about their beliefs. And without the
need to bring in alternate dimensions of our beliefs: Christianity,
Bhuddism, Tooth Faireys, Apple vs Microsoft, the Earth is flat, etc.

The earth is flat, right? Unlike helmets?

My definition of religion, apologies to Dictionary.com, is
LI type=aBelief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers
regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
- A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and
worship.

It's a pity dictionary.com wasn't around in, say, Otto's and Kant's
time... would have saved them a hell of a lot of trouble, eh? :-)

I don't think anyone here is arguing for or against your particular
religion.

Well, there's something we agree on, I think.

It is just a pity that you are using it to try and argue a
particular point of view regarding helmets.

Which part of my reasoning did you have a problem with?

Which, by the way, may be a contrary view to others on this forum who
have the same religious beliefs as you.

An oxymoron? If others had the same religious beliefs as I do, their
views would presumeably be similar to mine, by definition.

Catch ya later.

David.

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave.
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

So hope for a great sea-change
On the far side of revenge.
Believe that a further shore
Is reachable from here.
Believe in miracles
And cures and healing wells.

-- Seamus Heaney, "The Cure at Troy"

Old August 23rd 05, 09:06 AM
David Trudgett

"Theo Bekkers" writes:

David Trudgett wrote:

Hey, with a name like 'Theo'... mmmm...

I didn't get to pick it. Else I might be David, or Sue.

I'd definitely go for 'David'! I don't think 'Sue' suits you... :-)

David

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

Hickory Dickory Dock,
The mice ran up the clock,
The clock struck one,
The others escaped with minor injuries.
Old August 23rd 05, 09:35 AM
Bob

I'm done with this thread, sapping too much energy for no benefit.

I'm done too, now that the religion, chirstianity and the bible have been
brought in.

Some people need to lighten up and learn to listen. Two sides, two opinions
worth hearing, too much time spent away from the bike 8-)

Old August 23rd 05, 10:02 AM
flaco

An oxymoron? If others had the same religious beliefs as I do, their
views would presumeably be similar to mine, by definition.

Not when it comes to helmets....

RR: On The Road (Warning: GRS Content) Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 0 June 6th 05 02:29 AM
severe weather warning joemarshall Unicycling 15 January 14th 05 05:41 AM
Weather warning ... elyob UK 11 January 4th 05 11:54 PM
Warning! OT Political Content!!! Steven Bornfeld Racing 15 October 31st 04 11:06 PM
Today (warning: on topic content) Just zis Guy, you know? UK 3 April 25th 04 12:40 AM